Ok. So i got a Randall RG-100 Amp head and am looking to get a speaker cab for under $300.

What I'm currently looking at is the Marshall MG412A or Peavey Windsor 412

I will have a chance to play both before, but not with my head or pedals, and I'm curious as to other people's experiences with these cabs if they have any.

I play in a hardrock/hardcore/pop band, which plays a little of everything. I also play with the Pod x3 live guitar pedal by line 6 for all my tones, and just use the head for power.

I've heard that the marshall is kinda weak in power and not very loud but the tone is awesome, and for the peavey I've heard it's not that crisp and the overall tone is just not there, but it's loud as hell. lol

Most of our gigs there will be a guitar mic for the live sound, but it's always nice to have a cab that can carry itself w/out being mic'd. I used to rock the 5150 II head with an Orange 4x12 guitar cab. Right now I'm kicking myself I ever sold that sweet sounding set up.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advice for your input.
Do not get the MG cab.

Get a better quality 2x12.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
They both kinda suck. I agree with Yngwi3, go with a better 212

EDIT: Some suggestions:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/framus_fr212_cb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
http://www.thomann.de/nl/laney_gs212ie.htm
I also think the Bugera cabs are under 300, but don't know their quality.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by bluebadumtable
Get a used Marshall 1960A instead. Vintage 30s= win IMO.

...In that case you mean the Marshall 1960AV
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

what about a line 6 cab? I really like the effects pedal I run with, and I really have never heard anything bad about line 6 gear. But do they make good cabs? I see they are using celestians.
If you get a Line6 cab then get one of the Spider Valve, they use Celestions, not the regular Spider because they use crappy Line 6 speakers. But the Spider Valve cabs are too expensive for you.
Vader cabs are awsome and cheap, 389$ for a 2x12, no idea where to buy em or where they are based though!
Quote by WtrPlyr
"Custom designed Celestion speakers". That kinda means crappy stock speakers.

They're actually not that bad. But, the quality of this box just sucks. Get a nice 2x12 or a used box for your money.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Alright, go with what Yngwi3 said. Check out Avatar 2x12's. They are not too expensive, and they make great cabs, much better than Line 6 or low end Marshalls/Peavey's.
Quote by bluebadumtable
Whoops. I stand corrected

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

I have both cabs...and I think that the Marshall actually sounds better. The Windsor cab has terrible low end response. Does the head have an impedance switch? Because the Windsor cab is 16ohm and the Marshall is 8 ohm.
Look into Crate's cabs.
They have really nice ones.
And from the genre of music you play, i'd suggest a Crate cabinet with modern voiced speakers.

EDIT: after a brief reflection, i realised that Crate has some of the best cabinets around, especialy considering how much they cost...
I tried different cabs from different brands, and Crate almost always surpassed the others...
Hmmm. Interesting. Haven't realised that until just now (because only now i looked into the bigger picture, instead of analyzing model-to-model).

Of course, if you have a bigger budget, you can find better stuff, but still...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 9, 2009,
just get a 2x12 dude
the marshall 1936 would be good
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
The speakers in the Peavey Cab suck. The speakers in the Marshall cab are bad, but the cab is constructed horribly.
As previously suggested, Avatar 2x12, Vader 2x12, used Mesa 2x12, Marshall 1936, 1960AV...

not a Crate.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by eyebanez333
I have both cabs...and I think that the Marshall actually sounds better. The Windsor cab has terrible low end response. Does the head have an impedance switch? Because the Windsor cab is 16ohm and the Marshall is 8 ohm.

Yes it has an impedance switch. Is the marshall cab loud though? Does it start losing tone when you get it up to 7, 8 and such?

Thanks.
Quote by Linkerman
Look into Crate's cabs.
They have really nice ones.
And from the genre of music you play, i'd suggest a Crate cabinet with modern voiced speakers.

Yeah, I had a crate cab for a while and never had any problems with it. I'm actually now playing with a old crate amp and it gets the job done, but just not quite there for what I want.

I know I'm kinda limited on money, but we are gonna start gigging soon so I want something for a cheap fix but the best sound possible.

Thanks.
Quote by salty222
Is the marshall cab loud though?

Cabs do not dictate volume.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

I know they don't dictate volume. But Some definitely sound louder than others with the same type of head on them. The knock I have heard about the Marshall cab in question is it doesn't put out that much sound. Hence the reason I ask.
The Marshall cab is poorly constructed with cheap speakers. It doesn't sound good, and it doesn't sound full. Don't buy it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.