I am probably going to be getting a custom guitar from Ormsby.

Should I get a bolt on or set neck, I'm thinking bolt on incase I damage the neck/headstock but set neck has better tone.. Also what is a neck through joint?

Also would a Seymour Duncan JB/EMG S4/Seymour Duncan Jazz be a good HSH pickup combo?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Feb 9, 2009,
Neck-through or neck-thru (or in full form neck through body) is a method of electric guitar or bass guitar construction that involves extending the piece (or pieces, in a laminate construction) of wood used for the neck through the entire length of the body, essentially making it the core of the body. The strings, fretboard, pickups and bridge are all mounted on this piece. So-called "ears" or "wings" (i.e. side parts of the body) are glued or laminated to the central "stick". The "wings" may be bookmatched in order to give a symmetrical appearance, and are often cut from one piece of wood.

Basically it means that the neck is part of the body, almost as if they are made from one piece of wood (sometimes it is I think). It is said that thru>set>bolt in tone/sustain but I don't know if that's not just a myth. It's the other way around in ease of repair.
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 9, 2009,
It has been proven that bolt-on necks actually have better sustain. However, the amount is so miniscule, it really doesn't matter that much. I prefer the feel of bolt-on anyway, provided the joint has good upper fret access.
Go visit him and ask him, he will give you the best advice also telling you realistically what price you're looking at and how long it will take.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.

a neck through configuration.

it was believed that neck through guitars offered better sustain, however like bluebadumtable mentioned.. recent tests are revealing that there only a negligible amount of difference between the two configurations as far as sustain goes.

however, i find that most neck through guitars are a little more comfortable as far as reaching for higher frets goes, but it would not be difficult to achieve this with a bolt on either.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by WH15P3R
Go visit him and ask him, he will give you the best advice also telling you realistically what price you're looking at and how long it will take.

I'm not even sure if I will be getting a custom guitar, I am thinking ahead at the moment.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
I'm not even sure if I will be getting a custom guitar, I am thinking ahead at the moment.

well if you're just thinking ahead then dont worry about what sort of neck joint you're going to have.

seriously, from what i've heard Ormsby does a lot of consultation with clients and has an influence on the design process of the guitar and he's the guy that can best inform you on what to go for.

having said that, i've got the current issue of australian guitar magazine and perry answers a question along the lines of "what neck joint is best" and basically said they pretty much all give the same end result and the only real difference is how you go about constructing them.
Quote by random_B-RAD
You said probably, I thought you meant probably.
Anyway, good luck with it.
Maybe try building one yourself? It's quite satisfying.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by WH15P3R
You said probably, I thought you meant probably.
Anyway, good luck with it.
Maybe try building one yourself? It's quite satisfying.

I'd rather get a nicely made custom guitar rather then making a terrible quality guitar and spending $300 on tools to do it.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
I'd rather get a nicely made custom guitar rather then making a terrible quality guitar and spending $300 on tools to do it.

careful man, you dont want to over-rate your own abilities
If your getting an Ormsby arrange with him to go round and try out a few of his guitars with different neck joint and see which you like best.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man