Hi guys, name's Ray... I been wanting to get into electric guitars for the longest time and have decided it's probably now or never...

I've been looking at a ton of beginner packs and decided I might take a different route and jump in a bit more and pick my stuff. I know it will cost more...

Goal is that I want to stay under $500 total if I can help it. $400 would be easier on my eyes. Paying this all in Credit lol.

What I listen to:

I listen to Avenged Sevefold and Escape the Fate the most. However I love other bands like Parkway Drive, Disturbed, Circa Survive, Autumn to Ashes, Enter Shikari, and Anberlin.

So i'd really love to play some of these songs. Trying to avoid Tabs, but might learn to play a few tabs and learn the notes in the process.

Onto the topic:

Earlier I was looking at Ibanez jumpstart the most... Wasn't sure what to look for... Than decided maybe Curt... But nah... I've ultimately chose ESP as my choice.

What I wanted to know is if all the ESP LTD Standard 100 series guitars actually have the same sound/tune just in a different look? I'm not sure if their shapes change the way they sound at all or what?

My reason to ask is because I really love the look of the F100FM and the Viper 100FM but the M-100FM vids on youtube are really nice with the reviews!

As for amps... I was looking at the Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10W amp but wasn't sure if this was a good amp for the guitar? Or... I don't know lol. I'm really looking get a 30W amp since I hear that's a good range for both your bedroom/practice but also decent for playing with friends.

Or I was even looking at this accessory kit from SamAsh: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_All%20Access%20Electric%20Guitar%20Accessory%20Package_-1_10052_10002_-49980767_cmCategorySA183135

If anyone could give some good input please, that would be really great.

Thanks in advance!
- Ray
I think the odd shapes of the F series aren't the most comfortable to practice on sitting down. I would suggest the m100. The body shape is one of the most comfortable I've played.

Second, I wouldn't comletely rule out tabs yet. They are very accessable online so they are a must in any guitar knowledge unless you plan on paying for books for every song you want to learn.
Wow, wasn't expecting a reply this "late" lol. But i'm kind of antsy and looks like SamAsh doesn't have the m100. I like the body of the Viper over the M, however I like the headstock of the M over the Viper... I guess I could order from zZounds...

Hoping this is the best bang for the buck guitar I could get. I want to play mostly a7c and ETF tracks too.

The vids that sold me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY9eqhjTuqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkckbyvf8I8
Last edited by Phrequency at Feb 9, 2009,
the viper body isn't bad. I'm thinking of what might discourage you. I had a friend who tried learning on a bc rich warlock and he gave up after a month becuase practice was painful due to the shape of the guitar.

And I work 3rd shift, so I'm going to be up for a few more hours LOL.
Hmm alright, so maybe i'll just get the Viper, still thinking of the M too.

Just wondering what to do about the amp... I want an amp I can plug headphones into as well...

Thinking of just buying the guitar and a few essentials, picks, stand, etc. and than maybe an amp in a few weeks, not sure.

Do appreciate the help, but i'm off to bed for the night lol!
Couldn't fall asleep... But I did notice the Viper does not have the locking termulo... Not exactly sure if that would be better or worse for me as a beginner. I do like the tremulo bar though...

Weird mixed reviews for the M-100FM on Sam Ash...

Still wondering on an sub $125 amp...
For your first guitar, I would highly advise against a floating bridge. Go for a fixed bridge. The main uses of a floyd are advanced and you won't get into that for some time. String changing is a bitch on a floyd for beginners too. Now that I'm home, and not looking at this through my phone, I got a chance to go back and look at the 100 series for those guitars. Definitely go for the viper.
Alright than, thanks for all the input!

EDIT: Man.. I hate shopping, I always want the "good stuff".... Thinking about financing on a Viper 401... and just pay it within 12 months...
Last edited by Phrequency at Feb 9, 2009,
Yeah, if you plan on keeping up on guitar, and really learning, that would be a very smart move. Only do that if you actually plan on playing, and learning. I learned off a garbage epiphone when I first started, and when I started getting good my father got me an Ibanez RG570.

The viper 401 is much better than the 100 series. If you can afford it, do it.

Oh, and if you search you should be able to find some decent low priced amps suggested here on the forums.
Yeah, i'm going to finance a Viper-400 and get a Line 6 30W amp. There's a big ESP dealer like 20-30 mins away and i'm wondering if I should just jump the gun and buy the guitar or should I take the trip and feel it first.
Quote by Phrequency
Hi guys, name's Ray... I been wanting to get into electric guitars for the longest time and have decided it's probably now or never...

I've been looking at a ton of beginner packs and decided I might take a different route and jump in a bit more and pick my stuff. I know it will cost more...

Goal is that I want to stay under $500 total if I can help it. $400 would be easier on my eyes. Paying this all in Credit lol.

What I listen to:

I listen to Avenged Sevefold and Escape the Fate the most. However I love other bands like Parkway Drive, Disturbed, Circa Survive, Autumn to Ashes, Enter Shikari, and Anberlin.

So i'd really love to play some of these songs. Trying to avoid Tabs, but might learn to play a few tabs and learn the notes in the process.

Onto the topic:

Earlier I was looking at Ibanez jumpstart the most... Wasn't sure what to look for... Than decided maybe Curt... But nah... I've ultimately chose ESP as my choice.

What I wanted to know is if all the ESP LTD Standard 100 series guitars actually have the same sound/tune just in a different look? I'm not sure if their shapes change the way they sound at all or what?

My reason to ask is because I really love the look of the F100FM and the Viper 100FM but the M-100FM vids on youtube are really nice with the reviews!

As for amps... I was looking at the Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10W amp but wasn't sure if this was a good amp for the guitar? Or... I don't know lol. I'm really looking get a 30W amp since I hear that's a good range for both your bedroom/practice but also decent for playing with friends.

Or I was even looking at this accessory kit from SamAsh: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_All%20Access%20Electric%20Guitar%20Accessory%20Package_-1_10052_10002_-49980767_cmCategorySA183135

If anyone could give some good input please, that would be really great.

Thanks in advance!
- Ray

I'm taking it your new to the guitar, with that being implied, I think the Ibanez jumpstart is perfect, I personally have a ibanez infront of me and it works just gravy. Not to mention all the accessories for a 250$ tag its NOT bad. It comes with everything you'd need to start out with.

Good luck
Quote by Phrequency
Yeah, i'm going to finance a Viper-400 and get a Line 6 30W amp. There's a big ESP dealer like 20-30 mins away and i'm wondering if I should just jump the gun and buy the guitar or should I take the trip and feel it first.

For your first guitar 'feeling' the guitar is difficult. You aren't really used to what does feel good.

I'd highly advise you do go check out a few guitars, but don't be discouraged if you don't feel right holding it. I absolutely love ESP's and you will too. You could get one of the jumpstart packages, but if you really stick with it, that jumpstart package is going to be collecting dust when you want a new guitar quick. I think the Viper-401 is a great starting guitar, but it isn't so expensive that you feel like you broke the bank getting it.

I would also suggest taking lessons for at least 2-3 months so the basics come easier to you. It also gives you the opportunity to learn from the instructor some of the basic techniques that will help you to continue learning.
I kinda want to teach myself everything from the bottom up. I'm pretty determined to be a fairly good guitarist... I kinda wished I jumped into it earlier as throughout the years my parents always asked me, "You want and electric guitar?" Sometimes I would be like, "hmmm yeah!!!" sometimes no...

I know you're never too old to learn.. but I feel it being too old at 19, when a lot of great bands in today's post hardcore and metal are in their early to mid 20s...

I was thinking of thr Viper-401 but i'm just going to get the Viper 400, that's already a pretty good guitar for a beginner imo...
Sorry to double post, just wanted to say that I just jumped the gun and bought the black ESP Viper-400 with a stand, picks, and tuner... going to order my Line 6 Spider III 30 watt in a few weeks...

I'm really stoked and really broke.
i think you should get a peavey vypyr instead i like them more than the line 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYslxyj4Qwk

take your pick.....but get the 30 watt version of which one you pick
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
Since you already have your amp, I would suggest one of the following guitars:

1. ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe (My #1 pick if you play a lot of A7X)
2. ESP LTD EC-401FM
3. B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock (Very mean looking guitar, great for stage performances, but can be painful, so if you get it, learn to play standing up, you eventually will anyway.)
Tip: After you get a beginner guitar, play it every day. Practice songs, work on chords, etc. until you think you're ready for a new guitar. When you look for your second guitar, MAKE SURE TO GET A HIGH QUALITY GUITAR. Lots of people make the mistake of getting an okay or decent guitar. Get a high quality guitar at a reasonable price (no more than $1000 unless you can REALLY afford it). Also make sure to get a good, solid amp. 65W-80W is all you need for a small to medium-sized gig. Solid pickups on your guitar aren't necessary, but they usually provide better sound quality and tone with less buzzing. Strings matter too, I prefer Ernie Ball strings (try to get the slinky ones, I think they sound better). And a last tip, practice, practice, practice! This is the only way to become a better guitarist. Keep practicing, keep learning, and keep getting better. By the way, I'm not exactly a top-notch guitarist, been playing for 5 months, but I can hold my own. Don't be afraid to get tabs off the internet, that's how I learned a lot of the songs I know. Try to figure it out yourself, and if you're stuck, use either UG or 911tabs.com. Wish you the best of luck. If you want to know anything else, e-mail me at rockoutking@yahoo.com. I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.
Last edited by Shred King85 at Jun 29, 2009,