Hai guyzzz, as u may haf noticed, ur favourite dmirtygorachyovman has been a way for a while (2 weeks maybe lolololol), but anyway, he wuz bz studying da arts of theory hardcorely. At the moment, i believe that i have reached a hardcore level of theory in general (plz dont talk to me abt analysing thx) but is unsure if i r rly at a hardcore level!!!

I need sum help to find out how i can practice my theory in a wide variety of efficient ways... anyone knoe any books or anythings that can helop me wif this? bcoz i understand (pretty much) all music theoretical concepts (confident r i, find out i shall) as far as know, but i cant think very fast to ge tthe answer... i know the best way to solve this is by practice, but i need something to help me practice, becasue i can go over the phrygrian in all keys, to remember all its notes and intervals and chords and yada yodo, but that probly isnt the most efficient way, isit now?

So plz, anyone got anything to recommend to me? im looking for somethign that tests ur theory knowledge in every mofarkgin shape n form ho. (in any medium [books, interwebz site, chinese noodles?])

Thanks in advancee!

( note that im sounding abit cocky, but the thing is, its hard to tell what else is there to theory, i know my modes, hexatonics, diatonics, pentatonics, cycle of fifths, extendeds, added chords, maybe a light understanding on plagal (just the 4th degree bing the tonic? ez az pie) and from my view, it looks like ive pretty much covered everything that music in my school is covered, so if thats all there is, i think ive covered all, but if theres something else i should know, ill look into it, and please tell me what else i should look into, id b so happy to look into it for me : )))

thankss againN!
Quote by samlocke14
maybe you should have studied spelling for two weeks first

Dis.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
No, you don't, stop coming in here to massage your ego.

Theory isn't about "testing yourself" so we can all slap you on the back and tell you how great you are - theory for theory's sake is pointless. Just go out there and start USING your knowledge, analyze songs, write songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im planning on joining a band (either a power metal, experimental/progressive metal/rock intrumental band, or a jazz band) but after i lisened to shawnlane, its jazz. but i basically want to get an extreme threshold of music theory before i join a band, and i mean extreme. I plan on joining a band in about 4 months time at the rate im going, im already in my school band tho so i suppose thats a start!
Quote by steven seagull
No, you don't, stop coming in here to massage your ego.

Theory isn't about "testing yourself" so we can all slap you on the back and tell you how great you are - theory for theory's sake is pointless. Just go out there and start USING your knowledge, analyze songs, write songs.

well if u dont test yourself on theory, how are u supposed to find out if u actually understand theory? or "get it"?
You just use it.,in fact you don't even use theory - just do music stuff. Listen to music - understand music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You just use it.,in fact you don't even use theory - just do music stuff. Listen to music - understand music.

well anyway..,,,,,,,,,,., back to the main point of this thread,, is there anything that can help me practice theory aside fromjoining aband?
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
well anyway..,,,,,,,,,,., back to the main point of this thread,, is there anything that can help me practice theory aside fromjoining aband?

Apply it to your instrument. Like he said ^ theory for the sake of it is pointless. Apply.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Apply it to your instrument. Like he said ^ theory for the sake of it is pointless. Apply.

Working on it, but atm im trying to ace the pen n paper part of theory, u know, for school n grades and to get important pieces of papers
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Working on it, but atm im trying to ace the pen n paper part of theory, u know, for school n grades and to get important pieces of papers

But this is useless in real life.
Pass grades, yes, but the next step would be to apply it to real-life playing.
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
but i want some papers too so i can get into a uni or somthing... u now to look good abit

But a music university wants you to show them HOW too use it.

like improvising through changes, sight reading and sight singing, harmonizing etc.

Everyone can learn theory, that's the easy part. The hard part is analysing and applying.

Knowing theory as in just knowing it is USELESS. You can google all that stuff these days. You must understand why something works how it works.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
but u kinda have to know what it is on paper before u actually apply it... right?

??

Okay, then analyse "crazy morning jam" on my youtube channel.

Note choices, and the few modulations.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
btw what im saying is that i dont know what it is, and since i dont know what it is, it wouldnt hurt for u to tell mee plz
how good is your ear. are you adept at melodic, rhythmic and harmonic dictation? How about chord quality maj7, min7b5, V7 and min7 chords? How good are you at hearing extensions? Transcription and analyzation of solos/songs? Can you recognize major, minor scales and modes aurally. How are you at voiceleading and counterpoint? Theres always ear training stuff you can be working on--which is actually more important then theory. The idea of learning theory is to be able to compose your own music and understand and analyze what you hear, the more you work on your hearing the better you'll be at theory.
Learn to read music.

Apply the theory you already know to the guitar.

I bet you, seriously, I bet you a tenner lol!....that you won't be able to play C Major Pentatonic (A Minor Pentatonic Shape 2), descending using pull-offs, or picking, from the top e string, using string skips, on your 1st attempt, cuz you don't know the pattern. So basically the order of the strings is this, (high) e-g-b-d-g-a-d-e (low).

I bet you don't even know the remaining 3 shapes (I'm assuming you know Minor shape 1).

Just little things like this mate. Seriously, get playing.

One more thing, plz sotr yer slpelnig out, cuz it stinks!
Last edited by mdc at Feb 9, 2009,