Hi,

I'm playing some tunes with a cover band and one of the songs we're doing is Just a Girl by No Doubt. A good song to play (imo) but I can't seem to find the right effect for the intro riff? Does anybody know what kind of effect this is (and maybe some help on how to set it up?)
Last edited by wibber at Feb 9, 2009,
No effect, that strange sound is a synth or some such along with the mildly distorted guitar.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Do you think there's a common effect that comes close to this sound? Our band doesn't have keyboard player so using a synth is not an option for us.
yeah it's just some synth. but for the solo I sometimes use my wah to get a strange sound.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by wibber
So you play the intro without any additional effects?

yeah, sounds fine.
If you have a multiFX pedal you can always try some effects, I've done that too but couldn't really find a good one.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
wibber Its a DOD FX 25 Envelope filter, you can use a old MXR blue box with it, but usually the Envelope filter works with Zendrive with false harmonics thrown it to spice it up. Or the Blue box which is an Early Octave Generator that combines a lower tone Distorted and it makes the guitar sound like a Synth.
Please don't bump old threads, even helpfully.  Thank!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!