Page 1 of 2
Okay, the situation is like this:
Seems like my band is going to start gigging sooner than i expected.

I have long-term plans to buy my dream guitar, a PRS Custom 22 (or 24, dunno yet), but i'm going to need a guitar with humbuckers to get me going for the next couple of years (in an year or less i'm gonna start working as a lawyer, so then i'll earn money for the PRS).

My Stratocaster handles most rock and hard rock stuff we play better than good, but for our most extreme songs (kinda like Opeth's prog death metal) it lacks that extra "edge", that only humbuckers can provide for a rhythm guitar player like me.

So, i'm looking for suggestions for a cheap but nice and reliable guitar, that handles gigs in small clubs nicely, and keeps me going until i get the PRS.
In terms of budget, the cheaper the better, since this is a guitar that WILL be replaced; but i need a good quality/price ratio.

So far, i've tested and considered the following guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul 100 EB
Epiphone Les Paul Studio EB
Epiphone Les Paul Standard EB
ESP LTD EC-50 BKS

They all seem to fit my needs/style, and they seem to be solid (in terms of construction), but i don't have any knowledge about them, since i only tried each for a couple of minutes.

What do you think? Is any of these guitars worth it? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by eyebanez333

I don't like how they look... Ugly as hell, for my taste!
And as far as budget goes, as i said, the cheaper the better.

EDIT:
Quote by szekelymihai
could you fit a humbucker into your strat?

Nope. I need my Strat as it is: 3 single coils.
That's why i need a second guitar.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 9, 2009,
the epi standard looks alright. something bugs me about the others. a les paul/copy with a bolt on neck? ibanez has great bang for the buck guitars around that price plus their twin humbucker and HSH guitars have coil tapping wired right into the five way switch for huge versatility (you might not miss your strat with that for instance the HSH ibanezes switching goes 1bridge bucker 2 bridge single middle single 3 mid single 4 mid single neck single 5 neck humbucker which to me is the best two positions for a twin humbucker on 1 and 5 and the best two positions for a strat style on 2 and 4). ive found the best bang for the buck ratio is found around the $400 to $600 american dollar range. try out as many guitars as you can you might find a gem of a production fluke for very cheap if you know what youre looking for.
Well if you're looking for a Les Paul style guitar...Ibanez ART/ARC series or Agile. Not a big fan of the Epiphone guitars you have listed. There are much better guitars for the money.
Yeah, go with an agile. Better for the money and its really cheap

rondomusic.com 200 bucks for a les paul style thats better than the highest epi that your looking at.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by John5rules125
Yeah, go with an agile. Better for the money and its really cheap

rondomusic.com 200 bucks for a les paul style thats better than the highest epi that your looking at.

Agreed. I have a 2800 baritone...and it plays better than any Epi I've played. I think that if you didn't know how much a Gibson cost, you would think it plays as good as one of them too I think theres something about picking up a $5000 guitar that makes you think it plays better than it actually does. Anyway, for the price, Agile is the way to go imo.
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy EX.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I'm checking the Ibanez website right now, and i can't find a guitar i like (in terms of body shape, i don't know how they sound...).

MichaelOfCanton, a friend of mine is about to sell his Epiphone Les Paul Standard... I like it, and i know it is in good shape. He took really good care of it.
Do you think that it's a good idea for me to buy it from him?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by eyebanez333
haha I think theres something about picking up a $5000 guitar that makes you think it plays better than it actually does.

Felt that way at the Gibson Showcase at Nashville.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by John5rules125
Felt that way at the Gibson Showcase at Nashville.

that was exactly what I was talking about. I loved that place though.
Quote by Baby Joel

Hmmm... Those are a bit expensive for a guitar that's definitely gonna be replaced.
And i don't like how they look, either.

Why do the copies of most popular body shapes often look awful?
With the exception of ESP's copies of Gibson guitars... ESP Explorers and Les Pauls, for example, look good.

EDIT: i'm looking for something around [or less than] 350€.
Please use this site for price/model references: Music Store
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I wouldnt Suggest any of those EPI's you listed. I dont know exactly what it is but they seem to have a flaw in the headstock/neck that when knocked over it will snap like a tooth pick. My friend lost 3 guitars during Gig's due to that problem he will never buy one again. (I have also seen many threads here asking for help for the same problem also)
You should be able to get it for less, since your not in America. Outside America Washburns are much cheaper.
Out of the list, the Standard.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by b2spirita
Might be a long shot, but have you considered this?
Decent reviews and low priced

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/GBP/Fender-Squier-Vint.Mod.-Tele-Custom-Black/art-GIT0005338-001

Thank you, that may be a good option...
I totally forgot that Tele! I had already seen it in the Fender catalog.
Gotta try it on, though.

Anyone knows if it can handle extreme Metal?
Can i get nice Metal tones out of it?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I think that its going to be one of those hit and miss types though. You will really need to handle it first.
Quote by danohat
What about one of these bastards
http://www.michaelkellyvalor.com/

I don't think i can get one of those here in Portugal...
And also: Ugly body shape for my personal taste...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Thank you, that may be a good option...
I totally forgot that Tele! I had already seen it in the Fender catalog.
Gotta try it on, though.

Anyone knows if it can handle extreme Metal?
Can i get nice Metal tones out of it?

I would suggest you look into one of these. It may cover all the sounds you want with your gear.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629
A Les Paul is one of the most versatile guitars you can buy.
Proud owner of a Les Paul
Quote by DimeLvR
I would suggest you look into one of these. It may cover all the sounds you want with your gear.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629

Way too expensive for a guitar that's gonna be replaced for a PRS in a couple of years.

Quote by lupin50
A Les Paul is one of the most versatile guitars you can buy.

I'm not looking for versatility. Versatility is the reason why i love my Strat (well, besides its tone).
I'm looking for a cheap but good guitar to play extreme Metal (death, doom, etc.), that's gonna be replaced in a couple of years.

But i like Les Pauls, and that's why i asked opinions about the 3 Epiphone Les Pauls and the ESP Les Paul copy i already tested.

More suggestions, anyone?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
dude - an EC50? are you a f'n noob...pick up some real ****..get into the minimum 400 range of ESP/LTD models.
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
Quote by Linkerman
Way too expensive for a guitar that's gonna be replaced for a PRS in a couple of years.

I'm not looking for versatility. Versatility is the reason why i love my Strat (well, besides its tone).
I'm looking for a cheap but good guitar to play extreme Metal (death, doom, etc.), that's gonna be replaced in a couple of years.

But i like Les Pauls, and that's why i asked opinions about the 3 Epiphone Les Pauls and the ESP Les Paul copy i already tested.

More suggestions, anyone?

It just seems a waste to buy a guitar that you really don't want. It also seems like you have your mind made up already, since you've pretty much narrowed it down to the Epi LP.
I almost never pay full price for a guitar there are deals everywhere. Even more so in this world economy thing we got going on. I was just suggesting an alt to the EPI LP. Based of of what I have seen of them I would never buy one.
Quote by .:st.anger:.
dude - an EC50? are you a f'n noob...pick up some real ****..get into the minimum 400 range of ESP/LTD models.

I don't want to spend money in an above-than-average guitar, knowing that i'll get an even better guitar down the road.

If the EC50 could get me through the next couple of years, it'd be enough.

It's not a matter of being noob or not.
It's a matter of necessity.

Quote by DimeLvR
I almost never pay full price for a guitar there are deals everywhere. Even more so in this world economy thing we got going on. I was just suggesting an alt to the EPI LP. Based of of what I have seen of them I would never buy one.

And i thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion!
I just replied the way i did so i can give a better idea of what i'm looking for!

Quote by dynamo0
Epiphone G400 Custom or LP Standard.

Seems like the LP Standard is the best of the 4 guitars i indicated... Even if it's not top-notch.

I'll also try the Deluxe Telecaster b2spirita indicated, check if it can do extreme Metal.

I'm still open to suggestions!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by DimeLvR
I wouldnt Suggest any of those EPI's you listed. I dont know exactly what it is but they seem to have a flaw in the headstock/neck that when knocked over it will snap like a tooth pick. My friend lost 3 guitars during Gig's due to that problem he will never buy one again. (I have also seen many threads here asking for help for the same problem also)

That is a common issue in Gibson Les Pauls and SGs just based on the design of the guitar. I haven't heard of it being as big a problem with Epiphones (ironically)
Get the squire tele or the agile. Did u notice that we actually suggested agile?
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by John5rules125
Get the squire tele or the agile. Did u notice that we actually suggested agile?

Agile?
Isn't that an Ibanez model [as in "Ibanez AG"]?

EDIT: by the way, have you tried the Squier Tele Deluxe? What are your thoughts on its tone, and pickups; can it do extreme metal, etc.?
I'm getting interested on that one...

EDIT2: after a little Google search, i now know what are Agile Guitars.
A company of Korean-made, low-priced guitars.
I'll see if i can find a model i like.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
NOOOO look at the first page. rondomusic.com
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Yep, Agile's Les Paul copies look nice...
I'll see if i can get one of those here in Portugal.

EDIT: anyone knows an European online store that has Agile guitars?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Anyone mentioned an HSH type guitar with coil tap?
Just thought I'd throw it out there coz it would give best of both worlds in one guitar.
404: Sig not found.
Can't get Agile in Europe. Look for Vintage instead, its the equivalent.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by ChrisN
Anyone mentioned an HSH type guitar with coil tap?
Just thought I'd throw it out there coz it would give best of both worlds in one guitar.

Since i already have a 3-single-coil Strat that i love, i really just need a temporary guitar for Metal, to play a few gigs.

Quote by Baby Joel
Can't get Agile in Europe. Look for Vintage instead, its the equivalent.

Anyone knows European websites that have them?
The website i usually order from says they're sold out, and they don't expect any new shipment soon.

EDIT: i'm going offline for today, but please keep discussing my options, and i'll check back tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Thank you very much to all of you!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Fairy nuff!

A friend of mine used a Washburn LP for a short while, are you able to get those?
404: Sig not found.
Page 1 of 2