Hi guys. So... I've decided on my cab, or at least what i'm looking for. Its gonna be a decent quality 4x12 loaded with vintage 30's.

Now to choose a head. I'm already gonna be getting a Blackheart little giant for practice and bluesy stuff, but i want a nice metal-head head. (If you know what i mean, a head for a metal-head lol).

I did kinda set my sights on a 5150 but i can't really find any!! And plus i havent looked too much at its competition.

Tones i'm going for are... Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, PANTERA (this is a main one), Paul Gilbert, and probs some real heavy riffage like Slipknot and some SOAD.

What should i be looking at guys? 6505? Bugera 333XL (<--- looks right for me)? Some form of Marshall head?

Any advice is welcome Thanks guys.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my budget for both head and cab is around £1000, but if something is REALLY worth it, i'll save for another couple of months.
I don't mind buying used.
Last edited by McShredder at Feb 9, 2009,
How much you got to spend?
Randall RH50T is my first answer. Or a used 6505, Krank Rev Jr or used other Krank.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Where do you live? I see 5150s on ebay all the time. I'd look into Bugera...just be sure to have a tech look over your amp when you get it....it will be well worth the money to tie up any loose ends before it breaks down
Well if u really want a metal head (lol)... i suggest looking into the various mesa models...
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
I managed to get my 6505+ head for £699 brand new, I'd recommend that by far
Just be warned, a lot of guitar gear has gone up in price lately
ohai little sig.
You don't need a 412 cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 212 oe even 112 will suffice. A HALFSTACK IS OBSOLETE AND UNECCESSARY!!!!!!!! Trust me, they're a pain to lug around. You don't need em, they just look cool. I'm louder than the drummer using only a 112 cab. If and when I play shows in extremely large venues, I'll mic my cab.
Quote by mwalluk
You don't need a 412 cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 212 oe even 112 will suffice. A HALFSTACK IS OBSOLETE AND UNECCESSARY!!!!!!!! Trust me, they're a pain to lug around. You don't need em, they just look cool. I'm louder than the drummer using only a 112 cab. If and when I play shows in extremely large venues, I'll mic my cab.

I don't "lug" around my amp anymore than once a year.
I want it to look cool. It will make me happy.

Now **** OFF out of this thread with your stupid unnecessary, OFF-TOPIC advise.
Thanks.

To everyone else, thanks a lot. I think i'm pushing towards the Bugera, and yeah i will get an amp tech to look it over
Try out some ENGL's if you can. They make great amps especially if you're in europe (which i think you are) The screamer's a great amp.

Laney makes some awesome amps too that are fairly cheap

I'd check out orange's too, not sure what's in that price range but they make great amp with a unique high gain tone. maybe used?

Don't look into mesa's, they will be extremely expensive there
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Check out the ENGL Fireball that's definitely a metal... head lol