Hey all,

I'm currently looking for some nice hi-fi headphones for under $300. So far I've been looking at...
- Grado Sr 225
- AKG K 272 HD
- Denon AH-D2000

I need these headphones to be a good all-rounder. I'll likely use them as studio/monitor headphones, portable listening headphones, and home use headphones. Having said that, I'm hoping to be able to use it without a headphone amp since I want to use them as a portable set as well.

As for open or closed, I'd prefer closed since the sound will be less disturbed by ambient noise, but I'm fine with either to be honest.

So UG, what advice can you give me?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
the only ones our of your list that I've tried are the AKGs I found them to be most excellent. I do suggest getting a small portable headphone amp.

and asking on here was a bad idea, because you're just going to get a bunch of people telling you how awesome skullcandy earbuds are.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
get some that dont break thst my advice
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
look at some sennheiser, they do decent quality shizam
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
Quote by alphasignal

Gotta agree whit this,they have pretty decent headphones and a wide sortiment for whatever you may need them for.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the only ones our of your list that I've tried are the AKGs I found them to be most excellent. I do suggest getting a small portable headphone amp.

and asking on here was a bad idea, because you're just going to get a bunch of people telling you how awesome skullcandy earbuds are.

Haha, I know. But I thought it might be worth a try anyway. Never know who might know their stuff around these parts.

I currently have Sennheiser HD415's. Got them for $42, but I'm still aching for something better.
Equipment:

Quote by alphasignal

The headphones OP listed are all above the quality of the Sennheisers if i remember well.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Sennheisers have headphones in the range of what I listed, but they're all open concept headphones.

I'm not quite sure if I should be looking for audiophile, regular high def, or dj headphones. I'm most likely going to be using it for extended periods, in which case dj headphones are probably too uncomfortable. Most audiophile headphones are open concept for better 3d perception of sound.
Equipment:

get akg!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I'd say the Denons would be your best bet. But I'm not too sure. Check on some audiophile sites.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
The AKG 701 reference headphones are awesome, I've used them for a while now and you can get them for decent prices on ebay these days. (they originally retailed for 4-500 bucks)

The Sennheiser HD 600 is great too but they need a headphone amp to sound at their best.

I looked at Sennheiser, Grado and AKG and ended up with the AKG 701 because it has a very broad soundstage and it's also very comfortable. You can have them on for hours!

One downside though, they're not very portable. Like the Sennheiser HD600, they're pretty big headphones. I'de say try the AKG. And if you can, dish out a bit more for 701's.
Gear Whore
Quote by *Def*

The Sennheiser HD 600 is great too but they need a headphone amp to sound at their best.

honestly pretty much any set of headphones in this range is going to sound a lot better with a headphone amp, especially if you are using a portable player of some sort.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
honestly pretty much any set of headphones in this range is going to sound a lot better with a headphone amp, especially if you are using a portable player of some sort.

Ofcourse, however some headphones are harder to power from a normal amp or mixing board etc. The Sennheiser HD600 just sounds so much worse without a headphone amp. The difference between a headphone amp and no headphone amp on my AKG 701's is barely noticable in the soundstage department whilst my old HD600's just needed it, without the amp, it wouldn't sing.

Portable players won't do the high-end reference headphones any justice, you barely won't hear a 300 bucks difference in headphones if you're listening to them through your ipod filled with mp3's. I only use mine in house through a Sony ES CDP-557 and a Woo Audio WA5-LE headphone amp.

The thread starter asked for a good allrounder to use for studio/monitoring sessions, well, I think the AKG 701 is pretty much unbeatable for it's price. Please keep in mind that this recommendation comes with my taste in sound, everyone has their own taste..
Gear Whore
Last edited by *Def* at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by *Def*

Portable players won't do the high-end reference headphones any justice, you barely won't hear a 300 bucks difference in headphones if you're listening to them through your ipod filled with mp3's. I only use mine in house through a Sony ES CDP-557 and a Woo Audio WA5-LE headphone amp.

I can tell a pretty huge difference when using my Sansa Fuze loaded with FLAC files using my hommade portable headphone amp.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I can tell a pretty huge difference when using my Sansa Fuze loaded with FLAC files using my hommade portable headphone amp.

Yeah, now compare that with a Marantz TT - 1000 phono turntable... Ofcourse your amplified mobile audio will sound better but it is no comparisson to 'fixed' audiophile equipment.
Which is kind of a bummer, I mean, there is no real manufacturer that focusses it's portable audio products on audiophiles.
Gear Whore
Quote by *Def*
Yeah, now compare that with a Marantz TT - 1000 phono turntable... Ofcourse your amplified mobile audio will sound better but it is no comparisson to 'fixed' audiophile equipment.
Which is kind of a bummer, I mean, there is no real manufacturer that focusses it's portable audio products on audiophiles.

Yeah I never said it would sound as good as a good home hi-fi system, there are just too many physical limitations, all analog stuff is too bulky and requires too much power, and I can't even imagine the logistics of a portable turntable. I think a good portable player that can handle FLAC files and a portable headphone amp are about as good as current technology allows.

Last.fm
i see you live in the states, go for some alessandros, my cousin imported some and they are so incredible!
It's partially off topic. but does anyone know if the Nike headphones are any good, the wrap around your ear ones?
Quote by Psychedelico
I'd say the Denons would be your best bet. But I'm not too sure. Check on some audiophile sites.

I'm pretty sure Denon's colour the tone, for monitoring headphones you'd want flat freq. response.
Look at Sennheiser and the search bar.

Honestly there have been loads of these threads recently.
No offense, but there have.
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend