Page 1 of 2
... and it's made me cynical of where the music industry is going. Now, before you assume its because they're so bad, I would like to say it's for the exact opposite reason.

Busted were 2004(ish)'s version of the Jonas brothers and recieved just as much hate as the Jo Bros in their day. However, listening back to them on We7 (wierd sequence of events lead me to this decision!) they are a hell of a lot better than the utter crap that is produced by the Jonas Brothers. Don't get me wrong, I always hated Busted when they were around but they seem somewhat respectable compared to modern pop.

Surely, this means that the standard of mainstream music is going down. Take another example, boybands such as the backstreet boys, boyzone and westlife. Is it just me who thinks that the pop classics produced by boybands such as these is far superior to Soulja Boy, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga etc?

On the other hand, the top #40 is being invaded by more rock/indie acts than before. So this means that maybe people are starting to listen to more organic quality music. A good example would be the huge recent success of Kings of Leon.

Just an observation, see what you lot think. And to clear up, i'm by no means a top #40 pop fan.

Sam
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
i hate pop music, but think about it, rap used to be all the rage, and maybe soon it could turn to good old rock?
I couldnt care what the vast majority of people listening to or if an artist i listen to get's into the top 40.

Aslong as i can listen to the music i like and aslong as i like what im listening to then i dont really care about what is going on some retarded music chart.

tbh.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
There has always been indy bands in the charts.

People like different things.

The charts is not the music industry.
That's purely a matter of opinion
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
what i'm saying is the charts reflect the buying habits of the majority of music consumers
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
I like busted.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
**** sake there's too many of these threads.
The fact is, the majority of UG doesn't listen to the majority of what's in the charts, therefore the majority of UG doesn't really care.

Ok, so what's on the radio is bull****. I don't listen to the radio for that reason. The truth is, people have been saying this for years, it's not a new thing. The music played on the radio is and always has been mostly made for commercial purposes, so enough of these ****ing threads already!
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
I used to love Busted. Still do like their music a bit actually.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by samtewari
On the other hand, the top #40 is being invaded by more rock/indie acts than before. So this means that maybe people are starting to listen to more organic quality music. A good example would be the huge recent success of Kings of Leon.

Sam

KOL severely changed their style on the new album making it alot more mainstream,compare "Use Somebody" to "Spiral Staircase",this is why they have been succesful/sold out whetever way you view it
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
I don't see how you can differentiate between all these acts... its a homogeneous **** heap if you ask me. Its nothing new either. People will listen to what they want, and what a lot of people want now (and since the 70's as far as I can see) is mass produced garbage. Just ignore it and concentrate on what you're doing.
The dominance of black rap and R'n'B ideologies annoy me more than a commercialized produced boy band like Busted.
Quote by robl95
i hate pop music, but think about it, rap used to be all the rage, and maybe soon it could turn to good old rock?

Good god, I hope not. Good old rock sucks.
the market is aimed at young teen girls who are impressionable and hormonal. they want "cute guys" to oggle at and to listen to their mushy love songs. girls also happen to like the whole bad boy rock thing so what these modern bands have done is mix the pop bands with the rock boy attitude and have been given a "sweet, romantic" personality on top of that. from a marketing point of view, it's ultimate win tbh. it's never been about the music.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
I'm currently listening to OK Go.

...Oh, are we not doing that?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by samtewari

Surely, this means that the standard of mainstream music is going down. Take another example, boybands such as the backstreet boys, boyzone and westlife. Is it just me who thinks that the pop classics produced by boybands such as these is far superior to Soulja Boy, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga etc?

Lady GaGa is pretty good, actually. I like her anyway. Well, when I say like, I mean being forced to cover that song she does about getting drunk and losing her phone and having rampant water sex with an inflatable Orca.

I personally can't stand boy bands myself- girl groups FTW! Girls Aloud are f*cking awesome. The Saturdays not so much.

In fact, on goes Chemistry... cracking album.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I personally can't stand boy bands myself- girl groups FTW! Girls Aloud are f*cking awesome. The Saturdays not so much.

ooh, girls aloud are hot they have it all; a hot ginger one, cheryl cole... and well, what more do you want? they're actually a pretty good pop group as well, actually.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by alex-led-zepp91
KOL severely changed their style on the new album making it alot more mainstream,compare "Use Somebody" to "Spiral Staircase",this is why they have been succesful/sold out whetever way you view it

KoL blatantly sold out with their latest album, there's no denying that, all the songs are made to appeal to the masses. That said, I never listened to them until OBTN, and I prefer it to their old stuff.

Quote by untalented
ooh, girls aloud are hot they have it all; a hot ginger one, cheryl cole... and well, what more do you want? they're actually a pretty good pop group as well, actually.

Ok, can someone sort this out for me; how many of you find that redhead damn hot, because no-one (apart from untalented obv) seems to be on my side about it
I'd do her before Cheryl Cole.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Last edited by Insanity^2 at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by samtewari

Kol got huge success by managing to get rid of everything interesting about them and start sounding like U2 though.
Quote by untalented

My guitarist AND my boss at work both went to see them in Manchester last year I think it was, and both said they were bloody good live- great performers.

Quote by Insanity^2

Ok, can someone sort this out for me; how many of you find that redhead damn hot, because no-one (apart from untalented obv) seems to be on my side about it
I'd do her before Cheryl Cole.

I love Nicola. Not from the early days, but she got hotter. Especially around the time Biology came out.
Quote by Daniel8488
I couldnt care what the vast majority of people listening to or if an artist i listen to get's into the top 40.

Aslong as i can listen to the music i like and aslong as i like what im listening to then i dont really care about what is going on some retarded music chart.

tbh.

I agree completely.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Lady GaGa is pretty good, actually. I like her anyway. Well, when I say like, I mean being forced to cover that song she does about getting drunk and losing her phone and having rampant water sex with an inflatable Orca.

Yaaaay im not the only one
I don't know, I'm a lot more optimistic now that I was a while back. The unfettered crap spewing out of every "RnB artist" for the past 5 years seems to be dying down, thank the gods.

And also, I love Discobitch. Sorry, but I do. I don't care. It's a catchy ass song.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Indie sucks, so do Jonas Brothers.
I liked Busted though. I don't even care. I guarentee a lot of people on this site would like at least one of their songs but wouldn't give them a chance because it's 'gay' and they're not da br00tal metalz amg
According to your logic the new wave synthesized 80's pop was better than the boy bands of the 90's? No, they were both equally as sh*t.

For the most part mainstream music is terrible, but it has always been terrible. There’s no point in trying to compare which is the lesser of two evils.

EDIT:
RnB artist" for the past 5 years seems to be dying down, thank the gods

Hard to belive but there was a time when RnB was good music. What is considered to be RnB these days has nothing to do with it's roots.
Last edited by RollingRamones at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Hecatomb
Indie sucks, so do Jonas Brothers.
I liked Busted though. I don't even care. I guarentee a lot of people on this site would like at least one of their songs but wouldn't give them a chance because it's 'gay' and they're not da br00tal metalz amg

You liked exactly the same thing

"Ctrl+C Ctrl +V"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOfr3ISAXCQ
Quote by untalented
the market is aimed at young teen girls who are impressionable and hormonal. they want "cute guys" to oggle at and to listen to their mushy love songs. girls also happen to like the whole bad boy rock thing so what these modern bands have done is mix the pop bands with the rock boy attitude and have been given a "sweet, romantic" personality on top of that. from a marketing point of view, it's ultimate win tbh. it's never been about the music.

this made me think, is any music aimed at the teenage boy market? there's probably something blatently obvious here that I'm missing.

edit: Slightly Related
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
Last edited by GuyWhoDoesStuff at Feb 9, 2009,
What goes around comes around. Rap and pop are popular now, but eventually rock will come back around.
Its a good thing, until you think about 80's music making a comeback. We don't need New Order around here again.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by filthandfury
I saw Busted live. I was cool.

+1. They're about as talented/acceptable as pop gets.
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Quote by kaptink
You liked exactly the same thing

"Ctrl+C Ctrl +V"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOfr3ISAXCQ

So they did an awful cover? What's that got to do with anything? LOL.

Besides, I'm sure one of the guys from Busted produced that for them, I may be wrong though.

And Busted were a lot more talented than Jonas Brothers.
Quote by samtewari
what i'm saying is the charts reflect the buying habits of the majority of music consumers

Well...Duh.
Westlife/Boyzone/Backstreet Boys rule. That is all.

No seriously, I agree with you. 90's pop > Noughtie's RnB invasion, no contest
I don't think the general public has ever listened to a decent form of music for a longg ****ing time. That's good though, all of the posers flock to, and ruin the genre of music that's popular, so thank god (good) metal has never been popular
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Page 1 of 2