How? what do i use to switch modes on it? I got one for christmas and it is a hassle to be on stage and have to bend down or slide the edge of my foot on the edge of it to turn the knob. Links would be great.
The Whammy accepts program changes from 1 to 34 to select which effect type and actuates the effect using CC#11. If I remember correctly you can set up an IA switch on CC#0 as a quick bypass if you aren't using a switching system, but if you're using floor pedals with Midi a switching system is almost required.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
The Whammy accepts program changes from 1 to 34 to select which effect type and actuates the effect using CC#11. If I remember correctly you can set up an IA switch on CC#0 as a quick bypass if you aren't using a switching system, but if you're using floor pedals with Midi a switching system is almost required.

unless you don't mind bending down?

personally, I'd bend down rather than buy more gear, if you don't gig a whole lot.
Quote by Sonic Blast
unless you don't mind bending down?

personally, I'd bend down rather than buy more gear, if you don't gig a whole lot.

The object of 99% of Midi based guitar rigs is to use Midi as a means of controlling which effects are on/off and which preamp/channel you are using. You set up presets and recall them with a single step on your floor unit. Keeping your pedals on the floor next to the floor unit pretty much defines redundancy when there are inexpensive switching systems readily available. In the event of simpler rigs that utilize, for example, a single Midi controllable preamp, a rackmount effects processor or two, and a basic power amp, you can skip out on the switching system as you'll be able to program a "dry" preset into the processors.

Other significant benefits to Midi based guitar rigs are ease of setup and reduced signal cable length as you can consolidate everything into a rack case.

In the particular case of the Digitech Whammy 4, if you plan on using Midi at all it's best to use Midi to control the expression pedal part as well and keep the actual Whammy back in the rack case. Many floor units accept phantom power in some form or another which makes a stage setup almost ridiculously easy. In addition you won't have to run long signal cables to/from the Whammy, and you won't have to worry about putting it close to an outlet or finding extension cords.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
how would I use a keyboard for this?
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King