One of the things that annoys me as a guitar player is that I can't pull off amazing solo runs/licks whilst:

a) trying out a guitar in a shop
b) trying to impress people
c) any other time like this without backing

Earlier on today I was playing along whilst watching to the G3 versions of Little Wing and Voodoo Chile and I was shredding up the fret board awesomely!

Then when it finished I tried it solo and sucked again.

It's like I need the beat there and the backing chords helps me pick the right notes too.
I suppose it's a question of having inbuilt rhythm maybe?

Should I worry about this?
After all it's only important when trying to show off really...
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Showing off is only necessary if a person is not confident about something. If you are confident about your guitar playing, theres no reason to do it.

Which means: since you are insecure about it to some level, you need to spend some time to have insight to it, to find the reason why you are not content with yourself
i noticed when i would play warm up on my guitar i couldnt play my cusins good because it was so different..and vice versa.

so maybe if u wanna show off at the guitar center u shouldnt play ur guitar before going and warm up on a guitar there..just a thought..

u might be playing the solo fine and it just sounds empty because there is no rythem. i feel the same when i play comfortable numb
You have to learn to keep the beat and play/imply harmony while playing without a band. That's pretty much it. I generally find that playing enough notes will impress regardless.
Quote by Freepower
You have to learn to keep the beat and play/imply harmony while playing without a band. That's pretty much it.

Think you've got that right there actually.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Good solos sound good because of way the notes interact with the backing - the ability to choose notes based on how they're going to sound in context is the most important skill in a soloists arsenal.

Take away the backing and you lose that magic and things tend to sound a little lacking.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It also depends what you're trying to play. Keeping a beat is always important. Implying the harmony depends.

You gave 2 interesting examples of very different songs. Voodoo Child IS basically an improvisation without backing. It has drums and some structure, but it is pretty free-flow. It's possible to be completely novel with it and still know it's Voodoo Child without a lot of implied harmony. Little Wing however has a very specific harmony. It would be hard to play that w/o backing -- so that it was still recognizable as Little Wing -- unless you pretty clearly implied the harmony, at the correct timing.
Implied harmony is your answer. Thi can be done ina few different ways. my favourites are to hit the root note with my thumb on beat one (or whenver it changes) and improvise on the scales after that, or to outline the chords with the improvised notes. The first is easier, IMO.