I went on the valveking thread and figured i might get a wider opinion in my own thread, but if necessary close my thread

Basically i am planning on buying a valveking 212 combo next week, and i was wondering if a distortion pedal would be needed for heavy metal. i play mainly stuff like metallica, trivium, bodom, pantera, opeth, killswitch and bullet for my valentine. is the distortion channel going to give me the right sound for these? i tried the amp but at a low volume so i couldnt really tell for myself.

also, should i use the pedal on the clean channel or the distortion channel?
What is usually recommended is a bad monkey overdrive but with the gain set to 0 and volume to 10 so that the power tubes are saturated and it pushes the amp through into metal territory, but ask in the valveking thread for people hwo have actual experience wioth this
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
What is usually recommended is a bad monkey overdrive but with the gain set to 0 and volume to 10 so that the power tubes are saturated and it pushes the amp through into metal territory, but ask in the valveking thread for people hwo have actual experience wioth this

i wouldn't recommend the bad monkey as a boost for metal as it is more of a vintage voiced pedal. I'd lean more towards the Boss SD-1 or DS-1, being used like this. The SD-1 will mostly just act as a boost, but the DS-1 will add a hard edge to the tone, too. However, i wouldn't know if either of them work too well with the VK tbh.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by charlie__flynn

This technique is not for pushing a non-metal amp into metal territory, it's for tightening up an already "metal" tone. Or any overdriven tone, for that matter.

true M3t@l tone (from an actual metal amp) doesn't come from power tube saturation, it's in the preamp tubes.

With a VK, you'll need a disto for HG stuff, but why not just get an amp thats already meant for metal? B-52 AT-212 or 112, Randall RG-50TC, Bugera 6262...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
This technique is not for pushing a non-metal amp into metal territory, it's for tightening up an already "metal" tone. Or any overdriven tone, for that matter.

true M3t@l tone (from an actual metal amp) doesn't come from power tube saturation, it's in the preamp tubes.

With a VK, you'll need a disto for HG stuff, but why not just get an amp thats already meant for metal? B-52 AT-212 or 112, Randall RG-50TC, Bugera 6262...

using an overdrive pedal like he suggested pushes the preamp tubes harder, not the power-amp.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
using an overdrive pedal like he suggested pushes the preamp tubes harder, not the power-amp.

i was correcting this statement: "...so that the power tubes are saturated and it pushes the amp through into metal territory"

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
i was correcting this statement: "...so that the power tubes are saturated and it pushes the amp through into metal territory"

oh i see, i didn't notice that in his post.

still, if you have a modern voiced amp which isn't necessarily designed for hi-gain you can push it into metal territory, although if the preamp drive is smooth sounding you'd probably be best off using a distortion pedal to boost it, not an overdrive.
Rig Winter 2017:

Yeah.

...or, since the amp isn't bought yet, you'd be best off buying a metal amp.

Don't judge me.
I would NOT buy a Valveking if I were you. It's very versatile for an entry-level tube amp and it can handle metal, but IMO it's not a wise purchase for somebody who wants to play metal exclusively.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments