/vague

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Depends.

/vague

lets say the older guitar is, in great shape. lets compare and old LP with a newer one.
A new fender strat is better than a 15 year old squier, but a new squier is not better than a 15 year old fender stratocaster...vague
Quote by RockxxStar
lets say the older guitar is, in great shape. lets compare and old LP with a newer one.

Depends on condition, woods, and making quality.

Seriously guitars are rarely 'better' overall. Play both if you can and get what feels better. Generally older guitars are looked on as better than a newer version because the wood has aged more, but thats not the only thing that happens with age.
thread=vague

cannot compute request
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Wood aging does make the guitar slightly sweeter, but i would never spend money on a vintage guitar as they get their money by being collectable. There isnt much difference in sound imo.

Theres no point spending the price of a house on a guitar, when you could probably have gotten the same thing for a tenth of a price easily, spend your money on worksmanship, good wood and good parts.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Strat during the 1960's were very good. But now custom shop reissue are very close!

But modern technology makes PRS's amazing.
Quote by Virtuoso883
A new fender strat is better than a 15 year old squier, but a new squier is not better than a 15 year old fender stratocaster...vague

not really...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have a 11 year old epiphone sheraton which really is an amazing guitar - the thing is, some companies have gone downhill over the years while others have got much better, but that's only "on average" and there's no way of really pinpointing whether the particular old guitar you're looking at is better than any new one you can find, as the quality and feel of guitars, no matter what brand or model it is or what year it was made, will always vary to the point where you'd have to try it out against everything else you can get your hands on before you know.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the reason old guitars are supposedly better than the newer ones is because many of the old gibsons and strats were still hand-made, and they put alot of effort into their guitars. Also, people hear the guitar tones of old guitar players and want to emulate that sound, and think paying for something that old is really gonna make them sound like that.

just because a guitar is old doesn't mean it's gonna sound better. if you buy a new guitar now and never play it, it's gonna still sound roughly the same after 20 years.
guitars are also shaped through playing them, and there really is a difference between a guitar played for 20 years and one left in the box for 20 years.

so tl;dr, old guitars can be more comfortable and have a slightly better sound due to the aging of the wood, but in the end it just depends.
/vague
its just i want to buy a guitar but it was made in 1997, its an ibanez and im kinda scared, cuz its a little old.
Last edited by RockxxStar at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by RockxxStar
its just i want to buy a guitar but it was made in 1997

the year of production really doesn't mean a lot, unless it's a '52 les paul or a '54 strat, for example.

it's difficult to know whether it's better than a new one so try before you buy.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by RockxxStar
its just i want to buy a guitar but it was made in 1997, its an ibanez and im kinda scared, cuz its a little old.

oh, that's not a problem. it just depends on how it was treated during the time.
I have an epiphone les paul that I've had since 1996, and it still plays fine.
depends, old gibson> new one, old jackson pre fender>new post fender. basically just depends on the company and QC.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I love the late 80's/Early 90's MIJ Ibanez's although Ive yet to get my hands on one.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
It all depends. If the guitar is old, but unplayed, it will be the same or worse than a new one.
But if the guitar has been played for over 20-30 yrs, you will definatly feel a huge difference. The old guitar will play smoother, sound more alive, than a brand new one.

Quote by Tango616
depends, old gibson> new one, old jackson pre fender>new post fender. basically just depends on the company and QC.

This is an internet tale. Jackson guitar surely did not got worse since fender took over. I played enough Jacksons to know that this is just a story made up by 'pre-fender' jackson owners to get more money for their Jackson.

I myself own a pre fender jackson. So i absolutely have no advantage by saying all this.
Be aware: it's not true. Dont say this like its a truth if you are not saying this based on personal testing of multiple jacksons coming from both era's.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
It all depends... but I played a 70's strat and I have almost never felt something so good, ever. I played a 50's LP, even better. An original es-335... don't get me started.

If I ever get enough money, the first thing I do is buy a genuine vintage guitar.
Last edited by DEATHPANDA at Feb 9, 2009,
Good topic.....I recently attended a guitar expo, and had no idea what to expect. It turns out, the whole thing was thousands of vintage guitars and not many newer ones. There were $30,000 guitars there, countless $5000 1960's-1980's guitars. I just didnt understand it. It really is just a collectible thing, looking at all those old guitars, I would much rather just play my new Strat!! It's mine, its beautiful and new, and I am the one aging it. Sure, you can question if the quality was better in XX(Insert year here) for whatever brand, but all I know is I'm happy with the quality of my American strat now and I will be playing it for as long as physically possible.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Good topic.....I recently attended a guitar expo, and had no idea what to expect. It turns out, the whole thing was thousands of vintage guitars and not many newer ones. There were $30,000 guitars there, countless $5000 1960's-1980's guitars. I just didnt understand it. It really is just a collectible thing, looking at all those old guitars, I would much rather just play my new Strat!! It's mine, its beautiful and new, and I am the one aging it. Sure, you can question if the quality was better in XX(Insert year here) for whatever brand, but all I know is I'm happy with the quality of my American strat now and I will be playing it for as long as physically possible.

yea i kidna agree wit you, its better to buy i guitar and age it by yourself.