Can anyone describe the main sonic differences between these two amps? Either the F30 or F50, not the F100 though. The Thunder I'm looking at is the reverb version too.

I can get them for roughly the same price, and they both seem like good amps. I have a Schecter C1 Classic and a Jackson RR5, and I play a wide range of rock music - modern, classic, metal, shoegaze, etc so versatility is quite important.

Thanks
Last edited by MalR at Feb 9, 2009,
I don't have much experience with the ENGL...played it once, but my impressions were that it wasn't all that versatile (compared to the Fseries.)

The F-30 on the other hand, has enough gain for metal, excellent cleans, and anything in between.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I'm not that big a fan of the F Series. To me they lack that punch and response you can get from the Thunder. The F Series eq section has such a small range of sweep too. I just find them dull sounding overall.
I really liked the Thunder I played. The gain and crunch was better than the F Series, and the cleans were about equal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I can only speak for the F-50 as I own one. But theoreticmusic was pretty much right. The F series is very versatile. While I heard the Engls are mostly one trick ponies with the trick being metal and cleans. While the F series can do those, it also handles midgain well also.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Van Noord
The F Series eq section has such a small range of sweep too.

Can you expand on this please? Sorry, I don't know much about amps. This will be my first real amp.
Quote by MalR
Can you expand on this please? Sorry, I don't know much about amps. This will be my first real amp.
Sure.
My experience was that the bass, middle & treble dials had little effect when adding or decreasing them. As in, there didn't seem to be any more bass or treble added after 2 o' clock.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Sure.
My experience was that the bass, middle & treble dials had little effect when adding or decreasing them. As in, there didn't seem to be any more bass or treble added after 2 o' clock.

I see, thanks.

That's strange though, I've heard the opposite from a lot of F series owners, they say the EQ is very good and you can dial lots of different tones.
Quote by MalR
I see, thanks.

That's strange though, I've heard the opposite from a lot of F series owners, they say the EQ is very good and you can dial lots of different tones.
Yeah, I was surprised myself. It was a F-50 head that my friend owned and later got rid of.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
The f series sound good, but I agree with van noord, the eq is a bit un responsive.

I also had trouble dialing in a low gain tone. Hard rock and metal tones sound awesome, but you turn down the gain and it's like the amp loses it's balls.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The f series sound good, but I agree with van noord, the eq is a bit un responsive.

I also had trouble dialing in a low gain tone. Hard rock and metal tones sound awesome, but you turn down the gain and it's like the amp loses it's balls.
+1. That was something else I experienced with the amp.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION