I'm looking for some good scales to build up my soloing technique that would be good to build upon and help me improvise my own solos (I suck at improvisation). I seem to be stuck in the same shapes/patterns on the fretboard and just can't seem to deviate far from them. One example of what I'm talking about is this little riff I do a sh*t load:

12-13-15 (on low E string), repeat on next string all the way up to the high E string, then played in reverse back down to the low E string ending on the 12th fret.

I've been told the pentatonic scale is good for improv, and that's where I built that riff off of, but I can't really seem to come up with a whole lot else. I want some scales that would be good to help me build up my shredding abilities as most of the guitarists I've become obsessed with within the past year or so are the likes of Michael Romeo, Gus G. (from Firewind), Alex Skolnik, etc. (basically the "super shredders"). Can someone suggest some for me to practice with and possibly tab them out?
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Last edited by Helloween_rox at Feb 9, 2009,
learn the following:

1. the major scale and its modes (Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian) and their dominant variations.

2. The whole tone scale (Michael Romeo uses it alot)

3. Diminished and semi-diminished scales/licks/arps (Michael Romeo and Yngwie Malmsteen come to mind)

Edit: are you talking scales as in scalar runs (licks) or just scales?

If you are looking for certain licks, find a tab of the lick you are interested in (or figure it out by ear) and learn it/ build an excercise around it .

Edit 2: I really recommend watching Dave Weiner's Riff of the week Series on youtube. He did a couple of lessons on the modes, how and where to use them and more importantly (after you learn your scales) modal interchange (i.e. weaving the modes together to create a modal lick).

Edit 3: Something else that will greatly help ypu is knowing your neck well. Where the notes are, the patterns that they are arranged in.

Edit 4: Know the notes of the scales, don't just memorize patterns. Know how tho harmonize a scale and the relationship between the different intrevals.

Most super shredders will have done something similar to the above.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
Check out the theory lessons in my sig. Scales =/= shapes.

Edit 5: Listen to FreePower. He knows his theory well .
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Quote by crimson moon
learn the following:

1. the major scale and its modes (Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian) and their dominant variations.

You lost me. Don't know what modes are.

2. The whole tone scale (Michael Romeo uses it alot)

Linkage?

3. Diminished and semi-diminished scales/licks/arps (Michael Romeo and Yngwie Malmsteen come to mind)

Diminished? Semi-diminished? Arps? You lost me again.

Edit: are you talking scales as in scalar runs (licks) or just scales?

I was talking just scales, and I have no idea what scalar runs are. Care to enlighten me?

If you are looking for certain licks, find a tab of the lick you are interested in (or figure it out by ear) and learn it/ build an excercise around it .

Yeah, I kinda do that alot already.

Edit 2: I really recommend watching Dave Weiner's Riff of the week Series on youtube. He did a couple of lessons on the modes, how and where to use them and more importantly (after you learn your scales) modal interchange (i.e. weaving the modes together to create a modal lick).

I would if I could but I still only have dial up. I'm stuck on my parents' crappy ass aol account and they refuse to upgrade ANYTHING around here. We still have our microwave from before we moved into this house back when I was in 1st grade (I'm now 22).

Edit 3: Something else that will greatly help ypu is knowing your neck well. Where the notes are, the patterns that they are arranged in.

I try to do that as much as possible, as I try to find the same note on different strings so if I'm playing something on a higher/lower string and I wanna hit a certain note I don't have to move all the hell over the fret board to find it.

Edit 4: Know the notes of the scales, don't just memorize patterns. Know how to harmonize a scale and the relationship between the different intervals.

Most super shredders will have done something similar to the above.

You lost me yet again. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Honestly, I don't know that much about guitar other than tunings and not much far outside of it. I just play.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you