Page 1 of 3
They play fast distorted music that isn't metal?
brnh.bandcamp.com
The fact that the Ramones made it OK to play pop songs while still maintaining your punk status.
If you can't tell why the Ergs! are punk then you don't belong here.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
If you can't tell why the Ergs! are punk then you don't belong here.

I was just asking your opinion, don't go wet yourself. And anyway, I don't think they're punk, just because their lyrics suck. Period.
Quote by badreligion93
I was just asking your opinion, don't go wet yourself. And anyway, I don't think they're punk, just because their lyrics suck. Period.

Quote by badreligion93

Get off the internetz.
brnh.bandcamp.com
I actually like the Ergs! lyrics, and I hate 90% of the lyrics in all pop punk songs.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
I actually like the Ergs! lyrics, and I hate 90% of the lyrics in all pop punk songs.

Eh for me I think the lyrics are centered too much towards love and girls and that crap. At least their last album was.
Quote by badreligion93
Eh for me I think the lyrics are centered too much towards love and girls and that crap. At least their last album was.

That is 99% of all pop punk songs. I only like the Ergs! lyrics because they are clever and well written. 1000 Letters has great lyrics IMO.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Because they play a well established sub-genre of punk music.
Quote by RizzoWashburn
That is 99% of all pop punk songs. I only like the Ergs! lyrics because they are clever and well written. 1000 Letters has great lyrics IMO.

Oh I guess I really hadn't realized that. I'm more into punk bands that are politically and socially active, like anti-flags older stuff, black flag, and bad religion.
Quote by badreligion93
Oh I guess I really hadn't realized that. I'm more into punk bands that are politically and socially active, like anti-flags older stuff, black flag, and bad religion.

Black Flag and Anti Flag weren't exactly the most intelligent bands lyrically either to be honest.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Black Flag's pretty intelligent lyrically. It's free-form poetry, like Rollin's early spoken word stuff.
Quote by badreligion93
Just wondering about what you guys thought made The Ergs! a punk band.

They're punk because they don't give a **** that you don't think they're punk.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
They fit pretty well in to the definition of a pop punk band. I had a brief Ergs phase and I still like em but I dont really listen to them or pop punk in general any more.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Whats everyones obsession with the Ergs here.

I demand an explaination.
They actually make good pop-punk music, which is rather rare.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I'm a pop punk junkie.. love the Ergs, Steinways, Off with their Heads, Screeching Weasel, Queers, Dillinger Four, etc.. but I can understand why people don't like it lyrically too much haha.

I would say D4 has better lyrics than the Ergs though.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Quote by JustMimes
I'm a pop punk junkie.. love the Ergs, Steinways, Off with their Heads, Screeching Weasel, Queers, Dillinger Four, etc.. but I can understand why people don't like it lyrically too much haha.

Why wouldn't people like it lyrically.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Why wouldn't people like it lyrically.

Most pop punk bands are either extremely juvenile or focus on girls,or both in most cases haha.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Yeah. I write a lot about women. I don't see whats taboo about this.

Some people get bored if an album is almost entirely about one subject, especially that. The Ergs did that a lot.. and it seems to be one reason some people dislike them.
Quote by JustMimes

We have pretty identical taste in music. D4 are pretty much my favorite band.
brnh.bandcamp.com
I think D4 is actually a pretty good introduction to pop punk for people who aren't usually into that kind of thing.

Or maybe crimpshrine.
Quote by sargasm
I think D4 is actually a pretty good introduction to pop punk for people who aren't usually into that kind of thing.

Or maybe crimpshrine.

I never got how people call Crimpshrine pop punk. I can understand Fifteen, but Crimpshrine? Really? How at all are they poppy?
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Well it's kind of a misnomer in a way, but they do fit under that umbrella.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED

They sound like blink-182, but they're still credible enough for punx to publicly like them.

Quote by sargasm
Or maybe crimpshrine.

I strongly disagree. They're great, but they're way too sloppy and the recording quality is too bad to make them a good introductory band.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by JustMimes

Same.

D4 and The Ergs are two of my favorite bands.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
What makes the Ergs punk, you ask?
-Fast, distorted, three chord rock'n'roll.
-Release on independent labels.
-Snotty and juvenile, which characterizes pop-punk.
Basically "Ramones-core"

I don't see how they wouldn't be punk. Dismissing them would be dismissing a whole sub-genre of punk.

Btw seeing D4 next month, pretty excited.
Quote by XxFIENDxX
Basically "Ramones-core"

I don't see how they wouldn't be punk. Dismissing them would be dismissing a whole sub-genre of punk.

I missed them at the fest because I didn't get a fest pass and came too late to walk in. I was pretty bummed out. Couldn't see BTMI either because of it. At least I saw Fake Problems and the Menzingers I guess. (Oh and the Ergs/OWTH/Toys that Kill the day after, came 2 hours before the venue opened to get in haha..)
Quote by XxFIENDxX
Basically "Ramones-core"

Ramones-core...?

you should be bannedfor that.

Quote by BR0KENHEARTED

Too many pop-p0nx fagz

Quote by badreligion93

Casualties write ****ty music, and they up the punx.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Yeah. I write a lot about women. I don't see whats taboo about this.

It's not really taboo at all, which I think is the problem. Still, I don't exactly listen to the Ergs for their lyrics. They're (the lyrics, that is) alright sometimes, but also pretty tedious at others.
I give The Ergs another listen......when Screeching weasel are punk , they are too, they are far far far far above Blink etc. ........though they´re still teenage pop punk crap

Screeching Weasel are better in my opinion......

EDIT: They broke up? Ha the puberty vocal change hit their singer hard
Last edited by lavazza at Feb 10, 2009,
is there anything else to talk about besides pop punk nowadays?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by badreligion93

haha, that's hilariously ridiculous
Quote by mike2
is there anything else to talk about besides pop punk nowadays?

What have the true punx been up to for the last few years? My guess is "not very much"
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Page 1 of 3