Page 1 of 2
Now this may be a dumb question to many of you BUT I have a unique issue not many people have. I am left handed but play right handed. Although, I think I will be better off playing left handed in the long run. The reason why is because my left index finger was smashed in an accident as a kid (making it 1 cm shorter than my right index) so I did everything but write with my right hand when I should've been left handed.

Should I pick up a left handed guitar? Or what other things could I possibly do to fix this problem because its impossible for me to barre notes and many songs I like use the damn BARRE! I do believe I will be more comfortable in pressing the strings as well as being in more control with strumming since I write with my left hand.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Quote by tancanada
lulz @ slightly suggestive thread title

Only to small children...
That's not a unique issue. Millions of lefties play righty, I know a few.

Quote by bendystraw
Aww, I thought this was gonna be about jerking off.

"It's like getting jerked off by a clumsy stranger."
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Feb 9, 2009,
I play right handed guitar and im a lefty... i just think they designed it wrong in the first place :P
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
you can just string a right hander like a lefty guitar if you have more than one
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by Rvddps
I play right handed guitar and im a lefty... i just think they designed it wrong in the first place :P

i totally agree, i'm a lefty and play guitar righty..

but if i had to make the switch i guess i could...

but its all up to you, play however you feel comfortable, theres really no wrong way to do it
I'll burn your house down.
Yes if you use the left it feels like someone else is touching it.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Mark Knopfler is left handed but plays right (or vice versa) and he said that since he frets with his dominant hand. he says he feels like its easier to play cause it is stronger from everyday use.
Quote by CTFOD
That's not a unique issue. Millions of lefties play righty, I know a few.

"It's like getting jerked off by a clumsy stranger."

Indeed but not all of them have a finger shorter than the other... It's frustrating because I have to press the string in a awkward way. Right now, I'm just starting out but I know down the line I won't get any better because its not physically possible for me with the finger being all jacked up.
I'm a Lefty that plays Right handed and I don't think you should switch. 1. Your using your Dominant hand to do the fretting (the hard work) and your right hand to do the easy stuff.
2. Your not going to be able to find as many guitars as cheap as a lefty.
3. We Lefties must Unite in efforts to destroy the metaphorical load barring walls of the Right Hand Regime!

Sorry got ahead of myself and didn't really have anything for 3.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 Cab
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Yamaha Pacifica
Yamaha Audioslave? (SH-14 and Striped)
Boss DD-3
Original Crybaby Wah
EVH MXR Phase 90
Ibanez RG32A
Quote by bendystraw
Aww, I thought this was gonna be about jerking off.

Haha, if I had thought about that I would've changed the title... Now that I look at it, it does seem like a thread about jerking off.. haha
Quote by crimzin
I'm a Lefty that plays Right handed and I don't think you should switch. 1. Your using your Dominant hand to do the fretting (the hard work) and your right hand to do the easy stuff.
2. Your not going to be able to find as many guitars as cheap as a lefty.
3. We Lefties must Unite in efforts to destroy the metaphorical load barring walls of the Right Hand Regime!

Sorry got ahead of myself and didn't really have anything for 3.

As much as you make sense, my dominant hand now is my right hand. I was supposed to be left handed but had to adapt to being right handed since I was 4 from the accident.
I think you're all missing the point. His left index finger is an entire centimetre shorter.

I'd say pick up a lefty if you can be bothered to relearn from scratch.
yeah, i'm a lefty that plays righty, but my fingers are proportionate. I think you should switch to lefty. you don't even need a new guitar. just be gangsta and string it the opposite way. you should learn quicker cuz you already know how to play =]
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I am left handed and play guitar right handed. I didnt know there was such thing as a left handed guitar till about a couple months after i started playing (i was 9). I like playing right handed because i feel like i have better control over my fretting hand but it took me a while to get used to holding the pick in my right hand. you should do what ever feels comfortable
Last edited by chad120 at Feb 9, 2009,
left handed guitars just look wrong to me. i say you stick with right handed. its easier to find right handed guitars anyway.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I'm left hander but I play right. I basically only write and shoot left handed and do everything else right handed. It never felt comfortable for me to play lefty.
Quote by thinkinblue613
As much as you make sense, my dominant hand now is my right hand. I was supposed to be left handed but had to adapt to being right handed since I was 4 from the accident.

Well It still stands that you'll be able to get the guitars you want, alot cheaper. 1 cm can't make that much of a difference can it?
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 Cab
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Yamaha Pacifica
Yamaha Audioslave? (SH-14 and Striped)
Boss DD-3
Original Crybaby Wah
EVH MXR Phase 90
Ibanez RG32A
Quote by fearofthemark
you don't even need a new guitar. just be gangsta and string it the opposite way.

If you do this, make sure you replace the nut. There's a guide to doing it on the internet...Somewhere.

you should learn quicker cuz you already know how to play =]

Wrong. It'll be almost like learning from scratch. The only difference will be that he knows where chords and notes are supposed to be played. Try learning lefty; you'll find it a lot harder than you expect.
Last edited by Knackersacky at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by crimzin
Well It still stands that you'll be able to get the guitars you want, alot cheaper. 1 cm can't make that much of a difference can it?

It doesn't make a huge difference but its noticeable and I don't have a normal finger tip on my left index, its really just sensitive skin and a bigger nail that's "curved". It's hard to explain but to simply put it this way, its physically impossible for me to do an F chord without it sounding like sh!t.
Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix were left-handed. If you switch, you'll die young.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by TJelias2007
Mark Knopfler is left handed but plays right (or vice versa) and he said that since he frets with his dominant hand. he says he feels like its easier to play cause it is stronger from everyday use.

so does santana, and clapton I think
Apparently my friends Dad is going to switch it up for me tomorrow. I'm bummed I have to get used to using a new side but I know it will be better for me in the long term of playing guitar.

Anybody have tips for a beginner? I literally started a week ago.
I'm lefty amd play right handed. How long have you been trying to do barre chords? They require a bit of index finger strength, I think you should just keep practising them.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
I'm also a lefty and I play right handed. Honestly, I don't think I could play left handed guitar because the tip of my right ring finger got sliced off in an accident making the nail curved, which prevents me from pressing down too hard with it. It already screws with my finger picking enough as it is.

Yeah, I wouldn't switch, unless you're really committed, because switching for me right now would just confuse the heck out of me.
im lefty, i play righty.

i tryed left handed guitars, im so used to righty guitars i find it really hard to play left handed. i cant even do GH3 left handed.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I was hoping this would be something completely pointless, like "I'm holding a bun in my left hand, should I hold it in my right hand for a while?" or something like that.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I'm left handed and play guitar right handed, and my picking hand is pretty hard to get up to speed with my left. legato licks and everything aren't a problem, but as soon as the picking gets faster I have alot of problems.
but then again, Michael Angelo Batio is also left handed and he plays guitar right handed.
if you switch, you're gonna have trouble getting your right hand up to speed nonetheless, but since the fretting movement is a more natural movement than the picking movement (the fretting movement is an extension of the natural gripping motion, and thus is more easily inserted into muscle memory, whereas the picking motion of the wrist isn't a normal human movement)
Quote by Trudogger
I'm also a lefty and I play right handed. Honestly, I don't think I could play left handed guitar because the tip of my right ring finger got sliced off in an accident making the nail curved, which prevents me from pressing down too hard with it. It already screws with my finger picking enough as it is.

Yeah, I wouldn't switch, unless you're really committed, because switching for me right now would just confuse the heck out of me.

That's exactly what happened with me but with my left index finger. I smashed my finger with a door and my new finger tip is the area in the middle of the nail. That's why I think it'd be better for me to learn left handed guitar, I know I will suck at first but we'll see.
If you're not comfortable playing because of your screwed up finger, then you should go for it, but keep in mind that:

1) Lefty guitars are more expensive
2) Many awesome guitars are not available lefty
3) They look really awkward

If you're alright with those facts, then yes go for it. Or, alternatively, you could make a false fingertip like Tony Iommi has used for 40 years.
I was in a band with a great guitarist who lost the tip of his index finger on his fretting hand (Smashed it in a car door one drunken night after a gig) and it never stopped him. He could play like it was nobody's business.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Dude, don't fret with the hand you fap with cuz if one day you get really good and you think "I know what will make me look cool, I'll play with my teeth..."
I defecate all over my clothes to get extra protected
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Page 1 of 2