Okay, I've been very interested in modding a project for a while now, and after visiting GB&C regularly, I decided to mod my Ibanez RG. Linky.

I have drawn up a plan and I would like your suggestions.

MY PLAN:

Step 1
- replace both volume and tone controls with this:
http://www.allparts.uk.com/stacked-concentric-pots-500k250k-p-3248.html?p=product
and add a killswitch in the free hole. This means I still have a volume and tone control, but with a killswitch. All without drilling into my guitar (How Br00tAl iz taht!! lollollol!!!)

Step 2 - replace all hardware with chrome parts i.e. locking nut clamps, pickup rings etc

Step 3 - Replace stock pickups. probably a GFS neovin for the middle singlecoil and a crunchy rails for the bridge, or a kent armstrong super distortion or motherbucker.

suggestions are welcome here, I still haven't decided.

Strp 4 - this is where I need some guidence. I have two options in my head:

option 1 - Sand/strip the paint to the wood and stain with translucent black. I'm not sure how this would work out as the guitar has a basswood body and I don't know if the grain is that attractive.

option 2 - this option is to do a frankenstrat on it, but change the colour scheme on the guitar so that:
instead of red, it's black.
instead of black, it's grey.
Instead of white it's grey.

I think the frankenstrat idea sound good but post your suggestions and any ideas you might have.

Thanks in advance
Show us a pic of the grain?

And instead of a black and grey frankenstrat, I think you should definitely do purple and black
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Sorry to be a noob but what would the advantage of replacing the tone and volume knobs and putting that contraption on?

I'm not criticising, just interested as I don't know much about guitar hardware.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Sorry to be a noob but what would the advantage of replacing the tone and volume knobs and putting that contraption on?

I'm not criticising, just interested as I don't know much about guitar hardware.

there isnt one really. i'm guessing this dude wanted a killswitch buit didnt want to make any additional holes.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

each knob has a separate potentometer (pot) under it, this contration is basically two pots in one, so you can wire say the bottom one as a tone and the top one as a volume or vice-verca.
so instead of looking like this:
http://www.guitarpartscanada.com/images/knobs/metal/mediumdomeknobs.jpg

it looks like this:
http://www.allparts.uk.com/concentric-stacked-knob-p-3097.html?p=product

yeah this was just and easy way of not having any additional holes, but having a killswitch.
Last edited by TheSecondRaid at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by TheSecondRaid
each knob has a separate potentometer (pot) under it, this contration is basically two pots in one, so you can wire say the bottom one as a tone and the top one as a volume or vice-verca.
so instead of looking like this:
http://www.guitarpartscanada.com/images/knobs/metal/mediumdomeknobs.jpg

it looks like this:
http://www.allparts.uk.com/concentric-stacked-knob-p-3097.html?p=product

yeah this was just and easy way of not having any additional holes, but having a killswitch.

Ahh now it makes sense, just like a two-in-one. That's an awesome idea actually.

I might consider doing something like this because i've always wanted a killswitch, the only thing that's bothering me is the potential wiring. Good luck with it though!

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
I was much too far out all my life
That is actually an awesome idea. The tone + volume in one control idea i mean. The black and grey frankenstrat idea...not so awesome...I think you should do some mock mixtures of colours and see which works best, bearing in mind chrome hardware. I do like the black and purple idea from coolcat...maybe fit in another colour if ya can/want... just do lotsa testing see what looks good
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
killswitches are terribly, terribly over-rated. i really dont see why anyone would want one, other than the expected juvenile answer of "becuz theyr kewl".
Quote by noisefarmer
killswitches are terribly, terribly over-rated. i really dont see why anyone would want one, other than the expected juvenile answer of "becuz theyr kewl".

I've seen some cool things with them. It only becomes irritating when someone overuses it. Still it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
^Even though most of the time it looks stupid.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Yeah i don't like killswitches =/ The idea of putting both volume and tone together in one is awesome though :] If you wana killswitch sound, get a faulty lead.
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
yeah, but a switch just seems more controllable and easier to use.

does anybody have more suggestions about the paintjob, or any suggestions about the pickups.
Well pickups depend on what you want to play I guess, and your budget... I personally like to have at least one humbucker somewhere on a guitar :-P
And I just edited a frankenstrat in photoshop...Looks kinda cool :P
http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/2/9/f_bluefrankenm_04c21aa.png
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
^^^that looks really cool, blue was just added on to my list.

my budget is about £75 max and I play mostly blues and metal though I play alot of other stuff too. Iwas thinking about getting a humbucker in the bridge, a single for the middle, and upgrading the neck to a P90 later.

EDIT: could you try doing that with black as the main colour. I'd like to see if my idea would look like.
Last edited by TheSecondRaid at Feb 9, 2009,
Alright well because i did it by changing the hue, the best i could do was make it grey, not as cool as blue in my opinion, but still quite cool:
http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/2/9/f_blackfrankem_ba1c58e.png
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Quote by Coolcat13
Show us a pic of the grain?

And instead of a black and grey frankenstrat, I think you should definitely do purple and black

dude no, i've wanted to make a frankenrhoads for ages in black, but with purple + yellow stripes,

oh and yeah..

scratch and sniff,
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy