Poll: What tube for Mesa Mark IV w/Strat?
Poll Options
View poll results: What tube for Mesa Mark IV w/Strat?
JJ's EL34
10 83%
E-H EL34
2 17%
Voters: 12.
Option 1: Electro-Harmonix EL34 EH Duet Platinum Matched-

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...tnumber=072-872

OR

Option 2: JJ's El34

http://thetubestore.com/teslael34l.html

Background: I have a strat (sss) that probably could use a little "darkening" which points to option one. BUT, they also said in their description that those are more prone to mechanical noise in combo amps, whice I have (MESA Mark IV).
I'm glad you look the thread over, but this question should in fact be in the thread. Regardless, if you're looking for a darker tone I'd go for JJs, they tend to be fairly dark. But, considering how dark mesas are, they may be too dark. I guess the best way is to try them out and find out.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Why only those two choices?
I've used EH EL34's and they were good, but became a little noisey after about 6 months. Not to say all EH's will though, I also push my poweramp really hard.

I've never used JJ poweramp tubes. But have heard they are good. I've also heard that the pins are a bit smaller than the average tubes which has caused proper seating issues.
I also heard that current new production JJ's have been having some quality control issues. So you may want to research/look into that.

I have been extremely happy with the Svetlana EL34's I put in my amp last year. They're just the standard $18 Svetlana's, not the "winged C" ones.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 9, 2009,
+1 to the Svetlanas, I like those, great tubes for the price for sure.

IMO, Ruby EL34BSTRs are the best on the market though, I put those in my Mark IV and it made it sound a lot better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com