I'm getting new pickups for my Les Pauls, and I really dig page's les pauls sound so I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the closest sounding pickups available today ?

I tried looking at the pickups on his signature guitars but all they say is Jimmy Page Custom Pickups...
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
i've been looking burstbuckers 1 and 2, since they are on many gibson customs.

Should I save up a little bit more and get burstbucker ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
JP has coil split and phase switches in his guitar so he can get different sounds. While he uses an LP live manily, he often used a Telecaster in the studio too.
Moving on.....
Quote by illuminatiano

If you're into high gain I've heard they feedback sooner. Gibson has a nice feature on the Websitre where you can here samples of the different PU types.
Moving on.....
^^^ NO!!!

Never trust sound clips, because they're just engineered for generic purposes. If you're looking for a pickup to fit YOUR preference of style, sound clips won't help. They don't take into effect which guitar you have, your playing style, and the amount of talent you have.
Just get some nice PAF type, Jimmy Page is probably one of the most schizophrenic guitarists around as far as tone goes, his was always evolving.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So much went into his tone that I doubt you will ever be able to nail it completely. Even if you run the exact same setup as him.

As for the guy who said he had a bunch of switches and options, his main les paul was stock during his time with Led Zeppelin. There is a guy on this site (Whole Lotta Led) who could go into great detail about Page's setup.

But early Zeppelin it was basically original 1959 les paul into either Marshall super leads or Hiwatt heads, after mid-1972 it was the 1959 les paul with the bridge pickup replaced with a t-top, into Marshall super leads into two cabs loaded with Celestion g12h30s. There were amp modifications as well, including a switch to KT88 tubes, and a master volume control, both of which have pretty large effects on one's tone.

So... pretty much if you want Zeppelin tone, you have a ton of options, Page's tone from TSRTS sounds nothing like anything off any of the albums and even sounds way different from his live tone the previous year, as well as his live tone two years later. The only custom "Jimmy Page" pickups I can think of are the ones that are custom wound by Maricella over at Seymour Duncan for I think $300 a set (though those were in his guitar post-Zeppelin, think "Live at the Greek"), and then there are some custom winders who can wind you something similar. Bareknuckle makes a pickup called "The Black Dog" and another small UK based maker called Shed pickups makes a pickup called the "Shed Zeppelin." I have not tried either of these, but by looking at the specs, I'd imagine they're both overwound PAF style pickups.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']^^^ NO!!!

Never trust sound clips, because they're just engineered for generic purposes. If you're looking for a pickup to fit YOUR preference of style, sound clips won't help. They don't take into effect which guitar you have, your playing style, and the amount of talent you have.
I hate Gibbo sound clips because they seem to think eveyone plays unoriginal country-blues-rock. It is just flat and boring.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
I hate Gibbo sound clips because they seem to think eveyone plays unoriginal country-blues-rock. It is just flat and boring.

I never trust a sound clip. I always call either GC or Sam Ash to see if they have a guitar in with those particular pickups, then I go in and try it out. You can't expect some generic rendition of the sound to do it. You have to play them yourself, to see how they respond to YOUR particular skill level, pikcing nuances, and all around playing habits. Basically, what I said earlier
Quote by al112987
So much went into his tone that I doubt you will ever be able to nail it completely. Even if you run the exact same setup as him.

As for the guy who said he had a bunch of switches and options, his main les paul was stock during his time with Led Zeppelin. There is a guy on this site (Whole Lotta Led) who could go into great detail about Page's setup.

But early Zeppelin it was basically original 1959 les paul into either Marshall super leads or Hiwatt heads, after mid-1972 it was the 1959 les paul with the bridge pickup replaced with a t-top, into Marshall super leads into two cabs loaded with Celestion g12h30s. There were amp modifications as well, including a switch to KT88 tubes, and a master volume control, both of which have pretty large effects on one's tone.

So... pretty much if you want Zeppelin tone, you have a ton of options, Page's tone from TSRTS sounds nothing like anything off any of the albums and even sounds way different from his live tone the previous year, as well as his live tone two years later. The only custom "Jimmy Page" pickups I can think of are the ones that are custom wound by Maricella over at Seymour Duncan for I think $300 a set (though those were in his guitar post-Zeppelin, think "Live at the Greek"), and then there are some custom winders who can wind you something similar. Bareknuckle makes a pickup called "The Black Dog" and another small UK based maker called Shed pickups makes a pickup called the "Shed Zeppelin." I have not tried either of these, but by looking at the specs, I'd imagine they're both overwound PAF style pickups.

I got the switch and options info from "Guitar Player" where they featured Jimmy Page's LP wiring mod's! If they're wrong not my bad.

BTW I own the "The Song Remains The Same" DVD and just watched it today. It was from the NY 1976 Concert(s) in mAdison Square Gardens and Jimmy played 2 different LPs plus the famous double neck SG in it.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by illuminatiano
I'm getting new pickups for my Les Pauls, and I really dig page's les pauls sound so I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the closest sounding pickups available today ?

I tried looking at the pickups on his signature guitars but all they say is Jimmy Page Custom Pickups...

Well he got numerous sounds from his LP, thinking about anything specific? The signature pickups were wound to around 8k each with an uneven wind and used an Alnico 3 magnet. The result was a bright, clear and bitey sound compared to a typical PAF copy. You won't find them seperate.

Read this for more in depth info https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889990&page=1&pp=20

Quote by KenG
JP has coil split and phase switches in his guitar so he can get different sounds. While he uses an LP live manily, he often used a Telecaster in the studio too.

He didn't have any wiring mods during Led Zeppelin, all happened after. Anything you hear with his Les Pauls during Led Zeppelin was fully humbucking and in phase.

Quote by al112987

I'm not convinced just yet he had a master volume added, just one of those rumors for now. That pic of the Super Bass with the master volume/fx loop/KT88s wasn't a Zeppelin Marshall. KT88s in '73 is probably likely though.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Feb 9, 2009,
I believe the Seymour Duncan 59's were based on Seymours research into Page's guitar, and later helped rewind the pickups when the original Gibson ones failed (which they do, eventually.) Heard it from a Duncan worker I know but haven't found any written proof.

That being said, from personal experience the 59 set will get you exactly what you want, or the Seth Lover's.
Quote by illuminatiano

I'm a fan of Gibson Burstbuckers, although my preference are the Burstbucker 2 and 3s.
Quote by TimmyPage06
I believe the Seymour Duncan 59's were based on Seymours research into Page's guitar, and later helped rewind the pickups when the original Gibson ones failed (which they do, eventually.) Heard it from a Duncan worker I know but haven't found any written proof.

That being said, from personal experience the 59 set will get you exactly what you want, or the Seth Lover's.

I believe that the ones you are talking about are the pickups that Maricella Juarez wound for Jimmy Page, and those are the custom Jimmy Page set you can buy from Seymour Duncan's custom shop, but that was post Zeppelin, and they're the pickups you hear on "Live at the Greek" when he played with the Black Crowes. I heard somewhere that the '59s were just based on a set of Seymour Duncan's own PAFs.
Keep in mind his neck pickup in #1 is still the original PAF. So you're hearing a mix of the new and old on Live at the Greek.
yep, i actually like his tone quite a bit on Live at the Greek, very growly, ballsy tone. Idk if it's the pickups, or the Oranges, most likely both.