I need a louder amp for practice and gigging as my 15 watt Fender Super Champ XD isn't quite cutting it.

I'm looking at an ENGL Thunder Reverb 50 watt amp, but before i go spend alot of money i want to know just how much louder it will be.

Also, what size amps do you use for gigs without a mic?

Ta.
my first like 10 gigs i used a 120 watt solid state CRATE amp. it cut out at about 7 or so. Now im the proud owner of a peavey 6505+ halfstack. i end up turning that to about 3-4. 5 max
Not really answering the question but, generally if the wattage is multiplied by 10, the volume is roughly doubled. i.e a 50 would be twice as loud as a 5 watt.

And generally valve amps are 3 times solid states. i.e. a 100 watt solid state amp, will be as loud as a 33 watt valve amp.
Last edited by Mr E at Feb 9, 2009,
50 watts will be significantly louder than your 15 watt amp. Usually the tone is much better on a higher watt amp, though I've heard great tone from little amps.

IMO a good amp would be a Line 6 Spider 3 120. This is a stereo combo amp with 60 watts per side for a total output of 120W. As a booster plus, it has 2 10" Celestions in it. These speakers are known throughout time as one of the best. This is plenty and will last into the future as you get bigger gigs.

By the way, never did a gig without a mike...

Here's a link to Guitar Center's page ~ has people's rating and soforth.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-120-60Wx2-2x10-Stereo-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944740-i1168991.gc
As a general guideline, 35w-50w is all you should ever need for gigging unless you make it to the real big time.

Though frankly even just 15w is usable mic'd up. Hell I've seen people use 5w amps (and done it myself) for some smaller venues, so long as the PA system is any good you're alright.

Quote by crownovercastle
50 watts will be significantly louder than your 15 watt amp. Usually the tone is much better on a higher watt amp, though I've heard great tone from little amps.

IMO a good amp would be a Line 6 Spider 3 120. This is a stereo combo amp with 60 watts per side for a total output of 120W. As a booster plus, it has 2 10" Celestions in it. These speakers are known throughout time as one of the best. This is plenty and will last into the future as you get bigger gigs.

By the way, never did a gig without a mike...

Here's a link to Guitar Center's page ~ has people's rating and soforth.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-120-60Wx2-2x10-Stereo-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944740-i1168991.gc
Please, do not listen to any of this. A 120 Solid State modelling amp? Christ.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Mr E
Not really answering the question but, generally if the wattage is multiplied by 10, the volume is roughly doubled. i.e a 50 would be twice as loud as a 5 watt.

And generally valve amps are 3 times solid states. i.e. a 100 watt solid state amp, will be as loud as a 33 watt valve amp.

Oh...I thought it was 4 times wattage to double DBs, but 10 sounds right now that I think about it. So a 1000 watt is only twice as loud as a 100? Cool, I want one.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 9, 2009,
15 watts, turn it up to 10, hurt your ears.

50 watts, turn it up to 10, prominent hearing damage, maybe shake the house/room a little. definately break anything glass around it.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by MrFlibble
As a general guideline, 35w-50w is all you should ever need for gigging unless you make it to the real big time.

Though frankly even just 15w is usable mic'd up. Hell I've seen people use 5w amps (and done it myself) for some smaller venues, so long as the PA system is any good you're alright.

+1

Please, do not listen to any of this. A 120 Solid State modelling amp? Christ.

you said what I was thinking.