is this going to be your first guitar? if not, then no, it's not worth it. and the amp will be terrible. if it's your first guitar then it will suit you just fine, but as a second guitar not so much.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
They suck.
All guitars suck in that price range but I think that the best you can go is Vintage or get a used MIM Fender or something.
Don't by it.. try lokking at some ibanez guitars, they have guitars at a low price range, and they er really good. or els just by a used, but better one?
It's hard to get a good guitar (new) for under $300 from any manufacturer! Either buy used or be prepared to try many of the same model to find a decent one in the lot.
Moving on.....
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Now that's bull****.

It isn't. They are just not good guitars unless you spend too much money on them. Every Epiphone I have ever played has felt, and sounded cheap. Thinking about it, I wouldn't have minded starting out with an Epiphone, but I would have sold it or destroyed it by now instead of keeping it.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
It isn't. They are just not good guitars unless you spend too much money on them. Every Epiphone I have ever played has felt, and sounded cheap. Thinking about it, I wouldn't have minded starting out with an Epiphone, but I would have sold it or destroyed it by now instead of keeping it.

Mmm whatever.

I didn't notice a difference between the 600€ Epiphones and the 2000€ Gibson Les Pauls at my shop and as a proud owner of a used Epiphone, I condemn thee biased.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Mmm whatever.

I didn't notice a difference between the 600€ Epiphones and the 2000€ Gibson Les Pauls at my shop and as a proud owner of a used Epiphone, I condemn thee biased.

I condemn thee deaf.
Quote by DEATHPANDA

Ive never seen an expensive epiphone though, and they are built just like gibson les pauls, its just not the same quality wood
Quote by therealtater
Ive never seen an expensive epiphone though, and they are built just like gibson les pauls, its just not the same quality wood

Are you seriously saying this? It's exactly the same just different wood? Get out of my sight.
Hmmm, my personal view on Epiphones are that if you are a good player, they will sound good, and vice-versa (I guess thats a given really).

Main point being that my Epi SG, even being the deformed bastard child that it is, plays nicely, It doesn't stand up at all to Gibsons etc in terms of quality, but the sound is awesome.

Epi Les Pauls on the other hand, for some reason I've never really got the hang of, maybe they're too chunky for my liking. Though thats completely subjective. For a beginner guitar I don't think you can go wrong with an Epi.

Avoid those starter packs though! The amps sound horrible and are more likely to turn you off playing.

The way I enjoyed playing when I first started was through a pocket pod, so maybe you could look into getting something like that and use headphones, or when you want to hear aloud, use some speakers.
Quote by Jonny Yuma
Hmmm, my personal view on Epiphones are that if you are a good player, they will sound good, and vice-versa (I guess thats a given really).

I agree that they don't sound bad, they're just tacky. Given the player is extremely experienced (I'm not saying myself, I'm very selective about guitars, setup and equipment), anything will sound good. My friend has an Epi and my guitar teacher borrowed it off him to do a demonstration and he ripped that **** up.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
I agree that they don't sound bad, they're just tacky. Given the player is extremely experienced (I'm not saying myself, I'm very selective about guitars, setup and equipment), anything will sound good. My friend has an Epi and my guitar teacher borrowed it off him to do a demonstration and he ripped that **** up.

Hmm I wouldn't call them tacky as such, I'd say its just low craftsmanship.
For instance both the tone knobs on mine fell off, headstock snapped, but I suppose it adds to the character

If I had the money I'd buy a better guitar as soon as possible, but I don't so I'm enjoying the hell out of what I have.

Digressing a bit, is the topic creator just starting out or has a bit of experience behind him?
I think i've glazed over a couple things in my skim reading
Quote by DEATHPANDA
I condemn thee deaf.

I condem Gibsons overpriced and overhyped.

ROOT FOR THE UNDERDOG

Quote by DEATHPANDA

My Epiphone be sturdy
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Jonny Yuma

Digressing a bit, is the topic creator just starting out or has a bit of experience behind him?
I think i've glazed over a couple things in my skim reading

Looking at it, I don't think he's ever played a guitar before.

Quote by Juls317
I am looking to get this guitar from Guitar Center:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Player-Pack-102328770-i1150103.gc

and i was just wondering if it would be a good buy for someone who want to play rock songs... if not can you suggest a good in-expensive one?

"For someone who wants to play rock songs" lol
Good point, hmmm....I was under the assumption that pretty much all guitars play rock songs.

Quote by SuperJoop
Yamaha pacifica 112 straight up.

Played a few Pacificas, I would definitely have got one of them for my starter guitar if I knew what was good for me. Of course back then, I didn't know.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
Played a few Pacificas, I would definitely have got one of them for my starter guitar if I knew what was good for me. Of course back then, I didn't know.

You hate Epiphones but like the Pacifica 112?
Haha, I bought this for my first.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/metalaxxe.html
(the 2nd one down)

Terrible idea, seeing as a FR is a complete bitch, and for some reason all I wanted to do was play metal, but then I realised I enjoyed playing the blues so much more.

It was sold soon
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
You hate Epiphones but like the Pacifica 112?

Not the very entry level Pacificas (tbh, never buy an entry level guitar, such as a starter pack one). They are made well, to me that's important. Epiphones feel like they're made by children in some chinese factory.

Edit: I didn't say Pacifica 112.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
Not the very entry level Pacificas (tbh, never buy an entry level guitar, such as a starter pack one). They are made well, to me that's important. Epiphones feel like they're made by children in some chinese factory.

Edit: I didn't say Pacifica 112.

I used to have a 112 and I can say that they are definatly worse than all the Epiphones I have tried.
It's mainly their crappy pickups however.
i dont trust Epiphone personally, ive heard too many stories about crooked necks, warped frets, badly fitted fret wires, misaligned truss rods etc.

if i was going to buy a LP or SG, it would be a good ol' gibson. not one of the new ones though, models after 2007 arent as good IMO

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

All in all, I recommend you go down to a music shop.

Play around, but whatever you do, don't let the salesman sucker you into a marshall mg amp, or any starter pack for that matter.
if iwas going to recommend a guitar, i guess id probably say Jackson, or Ibanez.

something of fairly good quality on entry and above level guitars.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by DEATHPANDA
Don't ever buy an Epiphone, based on general principal.

im just gonna repeat what you said except in an annoying hi pitched voice...

[queu high pitched voice] Don't ever buy an Epiphone, based on general principal.[end hi pitched voice]

just dont say stupid things like that please its just a bad idea on your part. aside from the fact that there is an epi LP cult on ug (im not a member just to be clear) epiphones can be really good guitars.

tone is always 90% in your fingers and an epiphone LP + some pick up swaps and you have a prime example of a good guitar.

It's ok i understand that you dont like them its all good but just because you have the money to blow on a highly expensive and highly unnecessary guitar(i admit im assuming here didnt look at your sig) doesnt mean that every1 else does or should. especielly when you can get something that feels just as good and sounds just as good at a fraction of the price. So dont rule out an entire brand just because of the way YOU think it feels.

Now back to teh TS

i dont recommend that particular package but then im not saying dont get it because you obviously have little to no guitar xp i recommend a squier starter pack actually its cheaper and you get pretty much the same stuff... its been awhile tho since i was at that point tho so w/e.

I LOVE MAH EPI,
PEACE,
SIEVES
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Quote by Sieves

It's ok i understand that you dont like them its all good but just because you have the money to blow on a highly expensive and highly unnecessary guitar(i admit im assuming here didnt look at your sig) doesnt mean that every1 else does or should. especielly when you can get something that feels just as good and sounds just as good at a fraction of the price. So dont rule out an entire brand just because of the way YOU think it feels.

I don't have money to blow on a highly expensive guitar. The most I've spent is £500 and I worked hard for it. I bought an LP copy (Tokai) which has everything an Epiphone has missing.
Alright. Serious. The Epi you linkrd to is an okay guitar, but the amp and other bits are very poor. Also, as a novice you might find the weight distribution of it a bit clumsy. It would tend to pull down at the neck end. That's because the design was for all mahogany but the basswood body is a fair bit lighter.
So, what to do? I'd look at Ibanez and Cort models without tremolo around the $200 mark and get a little Roland amp, Microcube or 15x should keep it under $300 with strap and cable. Even if you decide you are not cut out for guitar playing in a few months time, these items would be much easier to sell on for a fair price. But you'd be giving yourself the best chance of success by playing a nice instrument through a well-respected little amp.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by DEATHPANDA
I don't have money to blow on a highly expensive guitar. The most I've spent is £500 and I worked hard for it. I bought an LP copy (Tokai) which has everything an Epiphone has missing.

im glad you worked for your **** its so much more satisfying to get it when you work for it.

i bought mine from a custom shop in nashville for $350 (dont know how that relates to what you spent) it was a spur of the moment thing i went in not planning to buy anything and i played this cause it was pretty and in my price range and it just blew me away it felt so good. The sound is a bit compromised but the craftsmanship is all good im gonna get some nu pickups when i get the money(kind of skeptical its a bit hard to try b4 you buy with pickups) but other then the subpar pickups everything is good now and im absolutely in love with it. ^^ any pickup suggestions btw? b-day is coming up
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Thanks for all of your help! I just want to know if you would suggest an Epi SG or an Epi Les Paul...Guitar Center has both
I would ask first: is there good talent? then go for a good instrument.

Expensive stuff won't make anyone become a legend as Clapton, Page, Hendrix...
Ibanez's entry level guitars are good. I had a Ibanez GAX-75 as my first guitar, and even now, 5 years later (after some upgrades) I still own and play it.
Cheap guitars is cheap guitars, made with cheap wood and hardware. I had my share of cheap guitars and they all sounded dull. I found that out when I got quality stuff.

I used to upgrade 'em with better pups, better hardware, whatever and they sound better but still dull sounding because of the wood. That's one thing you cannot upgrade.

Surprising thing is out of the whole batch of cheap guitars there a few players in there. The ones with the mojo as we call it. What is it? The ones with the right cuts of wood that when put together worked. It's those that some of you swears by.

My friend's got a closet full of cheap guitars. Few LPs, a tele, and a bunch of strats. One of the LP is an Epi with Def Leopard's signatures all over that his cousin won. His cousin gave it to him because it sound like crap, very beautiful guitar though.

My friend play a Gibson SG and an USA Fender strat. He bought names I didn't. All my guitars are custom made, two from Carvin and one from a luthier in Montana.

Yea, they are $$$ guitars but they sound sweeeeet.

Big difference. I know I'm no help here but I won't recommend any cheap guitars. There was one cheap guitar that impressed me and that was an Agile LP. Not great sounding but plays very well and then the neck warped (after 3 years). Duh.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+