Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

I saw Fender's new Road Worn series and I really like the idea. Has any of you played on a road worn fender, and if so, did you like it ? Does anyone know what they're like ?
tbh its just another way for fender to make more money out of the strat, but i have to say they look damn good
you are what you is
I'm generally not one for negative feedback but i just want to say that the road worn series has made me angry!!! EVERY SCRATCH AND DINK ON YOUR GUITAR IS EARNED!! these guitars are like fake badges of honor. AND i will make this very clear IN MY OPINION i think that any1 that beets the crap out of their guitar on purpose or buys a road worn guitar is a massive tool.

i will make exceptions in my opinion for any1 who is broke and had to buy a used guitar

not just hating i just really dont like this series
PEACE:]
Sieves

edit:
also im not saying that a torn up guitar is crap im saying that a guitar should be actually worn out on the road not made road worn
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Last edited by Sieves at Feb 9, 2009,
I think its a stupid idea, Id rather put the wera & tear in myself. But I have to say, its a really nice feeling guitar. Im really fussy with necks and how they feel on my thumb so I hate the glossy necks (cant explain it any better i hope you get what I mean) but with these strats the necks made to feel worn so its very comfy for me. I wouldnt pay the $1000 price tag (or whatever its worth) for a beat up looking guitar but if someone gave me a free one I wouldnt complain lol.

^ never thought Id agree with a blink 182 fan lol. But as i said before, it actually is a lovely feeling guitar.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Last edited by MOOSE_CCR99 at Feb 9, 2009,
Moose, on which one did you play, or easier maybe, which color? cause the road worn series come with 'V' and 'C' shape necks.
I checked one out up close the other day and almost gagged. There's no chance of someone mistaking it for actual wear. It's like a bad pair of expensive ripped jeans. It'll make you look cheesy.
Just get a Highway One guitar, and play it for about 30 seconds. It will look just like that. The finish is super weak, but you get to do all the damage yourself. It's a much better alternative. Cheaper, too.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I played the sunburst one, never played a v-neck so I prolly couldnt tell ya.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I played one of the strats. It did feel good and the sound was nice, but for only a little more I can get an MIA Standard already, which sounds a lot better imo. One thing that was remarkable about it was the weight, as light as it gets, which I think would make it a great stage guitar. The sales guy in the store told me he already owned one of the road worn teles and that surprisingly, it wasn't as light as the strat, but had normal telecaster weight - so maybe the strat I played was an exception from the rule.
Nice guitars definitely, but whether they're 900 bucks nice - I doubt that to be honest.
Quote by Sid McCall
Just get a Highway One guitar, and play it for about 30 seconds. It will look just like that. The finish is super weak, but you get to do all the damage yourself. It's a much better alternative. Cheaper, too.
That's what I have. After owning it for 3 years, it looks more like I've owned it for 13 years. Lots of rubbing/wearing, dings, knicks and paint chips. None on purpose. Plus it has a large 70's headstock so it actually confuses a lot of people as to how old the guitar actually is.

I thought the road worn Strat I looked at was very nicely done. These guitars are essentially afforable custom shop relics. The part specs are all vintage. These aren't just new MiM Fenders that have some sanded spots and dings on the finish.
They have vintage style and worn hardware, and discolored pickups and dials. The saddles are vintage specs and rusted too. The fretboard wear is quite convincing, especially on the maple one I saw.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 9, 2009,
The D-bags going on about "wearing out your own guitar" aside:
The Roadworn strats are AWESOME! I spent some time with a 60's roadworn strat at GC a week ago and I fell in love, almost walked out with another credit card and about a grand more debt, but I had a little self control.

The neck had this great feel to it. It felt knew, but comfortable; you know what I mean? Like it didn't have that "new guitar stick" to it. The pickups were juicy and thick and could get a good blues thing goin', clean or dirty. The strings were a bit light, 9's I belive, but there wasn't a buzz up and down the neck. The fit and finish was spot on, the neck pocket tight and the frets were perfect.

Honestly, it felt better than the CIJ Telecaster Deluxe and MIM Vintage Series. I actually sat in GC playing that thing for about an hour and actually tried the new MIM and MIA standards against it and the CIJ Tele deluxe (just to get a japanese guitar in the mix).

The MIM's admittedly feel a bit tawdry and toyish in comparison to the Roadworn, actually. The body and neck just don't feel as real. The MIA's these days feel exactly the same as they did a few years ago, but I didn't feel that the MIA's sang as well as the Roadworn did. And of course, the Tele deluxe just felt awkward and had bad fret ends and buzzing (the MIM standard played and felt better than the CIJ).

Honestly, for the grand, even though it's stamped "Made in Mexico," I think the Roadworn are the best value for vintage correct Fender reissues, unless you absolutely hate the artificial wear.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Cosmetically; it's a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, I love worn guitars, but they are sort of unrealistically worn IMO. I do dig it though, albeit it is a bit much for the price.

Feel-wise; "Feels like a real vintage guitar!" like they say is an exaggeration, but they do feel good.

Actual tonewise; Much better than I thought it would be, frankly IMO it out-toned an Am. Std. Not as good as a real vintage guitar would be, but they're doing something more vintage-spec to them electronics-wise.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
Cosmetically; it's a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, I love worn guitars, but they are sort of unrealistically worn IMO. I do dig it though, albeit it is a bit much for the price.

Feel-wise; "Feels like a real vintage guitar!" like they say is an exaggeration, but they do feel good.

Actual tonewise; Much better than I thought it would be, frankly IMO it out-toned an Am. Std. Not as good as a real vintage guitar would be, but they're doing something more vintage-spec to them electronics-wise.

yeah, the wear on the back of the neck looks funny, actually. It looks like whoever's been playing it never left frets 1-3 and 12-15, between those, there's barely any wear on the back of the neck. The Fretboards looked great, though.
My advice, just get a Highway One strat, they have the nitro finish I believe and you save a bunch of money too.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
My advice, just get a Highway One strat, they have the nitro finish I believe and you save a bunch of money too.

the Roadworn starts with better hardware and pickups... so.... where do you save money?

plus, I've never been a big fan of the Highway ones. I haven't gotten my hands on the "upgraded" models, but to me the Highway ones have always looked cheap.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
yeah, the wear on the back of the neck looks funny, actually. It looks like whoever's been playing it never left frets 1-3 and 12-15, between those, there's barely any wear on the back of the neck. The Fretboards looked great, though.

Agreed, with the price increases pushing an American Standard up to $1,420, a Roadworn is looking like a nice guitar for the price.

Quote by MustangSVT

I'm sorry, but that is somewhat funny. I played the two against each other when I tried them out, while the relicing is somewhat overpricing it, the Roadworns smoked the HW1's. Speaking of HW1's, they are now I believe about $900, so you really don't lose much of anything by getting one of the Roadworns.

Quote by necrosis1193
Agreed, with the price increases pushing an American Standard up to $1,420, a Roadworn is looking like a nice guitar for the price.

What the hell?! They were close to 1000$, weren't they?
Quote by TheQuailman
What the hell?! They were close to 1000$, weren't they?

They are most places, but there have been rumours of a price hike, and Sweetwater confirms it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=american+standard&go=Go!

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 9, 2009,
Oh, that is just great. Screw the Standard then, Roadworn is king now.

(seriously, are they crazy? Who the hell is gonna buy the Standard for that price?)
Quote by TheQuailman

(seriously, are they crazy? Who the hell is gonna buy the Standard for that price?)

the same people that paid $700 for them in the 80's.
I played one of the teles and I was feeling good about the tone, but the guitar felt like a toy. Everything about it was light. (Coming from a LP player with heavy gauges this shouldn't surprise you, but it surprised me how much I could tear it up). When I looked down I couldn't help from nearly saying that was an awesome toy. Sure they look cool but they aren't yours, and they're probably not gonna age well and have problems down the line due to the beat up fret board and rusty bridge/Pups. I'd enjoy havign one but I am not gonna shell out money for it. I'd rather save it for something else.
Quote by manhangi
I played one of the teles and I was feeling good about the tone, but the guitar felt like a toy. Everything about it was light. (Coming from a LP player with heavy gauges this shouldn't surprise you, but it surprised me how much I could tear it up). When I looked down I couldn't help from nearly saying that was an awesome toy. Sure they look cool but they aren't yours, and they're probably not gonna age well and have problems down the line due to the beat up fret board and rusty bridge/Pups. I'd enjoy havign one but I am not gonna shell out money for it. I'd rather save it for something else.

good point.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Never played one, but I'm not a fan of the look.

What's the point? They are also expensive.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Never played one, but I'm not a fan of the look.

What's the point? They are also expensive.

Lots of people do like the look. I tend to think that a messed-up, thoroughly beaten and worn-in guitar looks better and has more character than a new guitar. As the website puts it, well-worn guitars develop an unmistakable mojo.

Also, a lot of people in here seem to think this might be better value than the current
American Standard. Interesting. You guys played the Teles? I've only seen you guys talk about Strats.
^Ironically I preferred the roadworn tele much over the roadworn strat. Much more of a tonal punch IMO.

Also, is it just me or has Fender seemingly tried to turn the Roadworn's into a favourite by increasing the Am. Std's to $1,420? Not a bad thing, but just saying.

Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
good point.

the parts are artificially aged in such a way that they still function like new, they just look old.

Quote by necrosis1193
^Ironically I preferred the roadworn tele much over the roadworn strat. Much more of a tonal punch IMO.

Also, is it just me or has Fender seemingly tried to turn the Roadworn's into a favourite by increasing the Am. Std's to $1,420? Not a bad thing, but just saying.

Well, of course it has more tonal punch, it's a tele.

And I think the price going up is just due to the economy and inflation.
Quote by Thomme
Well, of course it has more tonal punch, it's a tele.

And I think the price going up is just due to the economy and inflation.

True. Still, it was like pushing the volume up from 5 to 10. Maybe I played a dud strat that was badly wired and therefore incredibly weak, but it was more than I expected.

The economy is dead, if they're trying to sell, if anything they should lower prices.

Quote by necrosis1193
True. Still, it was like pushing the volume up from 5 to 10. Maybe I played a dud strat that was badly wired and therefore incredibly weak, but it was more than I expected.

The economy is dead, if they're trying to sell, if anything they should lower prices.

People will keep buying MIA fenders, they know that, we know that, the cost of production is going up (there isn't as much margin in the MIA standards as you'd think) and they need to keep making money, simple as that.

Also, I never tried the Roadworn tele, just the strat, so I can't compare them specifically, but, I can tell you, teles have more punch than strats do, might be the pickups they're using in 'em or something, though.
the omlympic white one looks so fugly
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Thomme
People will keep buying MIA fenders, they know that, we know that, the cost of production is going up (there isn't as much margin in the MIA standards as you'd think) and they need to keep making money, simple as that.

Also, I never tried the Roadworn tele, just the strat, so I can't compare them specifically, but, I can tell you, teles have more punch than strats do, might be the pickups they're using in 'em or something, though.

I suppose.

I know, I just wasn't expecting such a huge punch. That's probably part of why I'm looking for a tele now...

Quote by rancidryan
the omlympic white one looks so fugly

You look fugly. Olympic white is often regarded as one of the prettier strat finishes, and I agree on that matter.

They fret out real easily. It looks cool, yea, but I'd rather earn and do the "damage" myself.
Quote by Sieves
I'm generally not one for negative feedback but i just want to say that the road worn series has made me angry!!! EVERY SCRATCH AND DINK ON YOUR GUITAR IS EARNED!! these guitars are like fake badges of honor. AND i will make this very clear IN MY OPINION i think that any1 that beets the crap out of their guitar on purpose or buys a road worn guitar is a massive tool.

i will make exceptions in my opinion for any1 who is broke and had to buy a used guitar

not just hating i just really dont like this series
PEACE:]
Sieves

edit:
also im not saying that a torn up guitar is crap im saying that a guitar should be actually worn out on the road not made road worn

This.

Why in the world would you want something hat looks used? Do you want to buy my used toilet paper too? Is that more valuable and more aesthetically pleasing?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I havent tried one but I can tell you now just from looking through their specs and watching vids that they will sound just like any other standard strat but you will be more out of pocket because someones taken a belt sander to it...

I dont mind Fender selling these as it's pretty much just another paint option and it's not hurting anyone whilst offering more choices for customers. However, I do personally think it's very stupid and I would not be able to help myself looking down on someone who buys one.

But hey I'm probably the least nostalgic person when it comes to guitars, plus I don't have the money to burn on these kinda things, if you want a guitar that looks beat up and used extensively for whatever reason, go for it.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
They do feel and sound genuinely different and better than an MIM standard, and in many respects compete with and beat MIA standards. The quality is however less consistent being MIM and the looks are up to you...Simple
I think the series is the dumbest mother****ing idea ever.

It's like buying a guitar that they ****ed up on. Why don't u just buy a cheaper and NICER used guitar? or just do it yourself?

It's just another gimic.
i've played one before, and after that one i never played another again..

to me, i know it sounds strange and dramatic, but it felt like i was playing somthing that was died in my hands and it was my falt.. Awful feeling for me personal, phiscally the neck feels awful and playing it, once again, to me, was just awful. I love fender guitars but not the roadworn series, i plugged that guitar in and the was a gigantic pop sound as soon as the tubes warmed up, i switched amps a few times and it happend everytime, might of been that guitar but ethier way, i hate the road worns.
I pay for music and so should you: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by Music18
u just got to love fat strats.... and i really like the ones that hav 2 single pick upsm then the humbucker near the bridge... very nice =)
^^ You got a lemon there i guess, cos the ones I've played have been pretty nice, even though I'm not really a fan of the looks
I loved the way the tele felt ! Didn't try strat out, they
didn't have one yet here at local guitarshop
Page 1 of 2