By what dimension is a string gauge measured? Diameter? Radius? Circumference?
I want to find out what gauge strings came on my Ibanez when I bought it. Im looking for a smaller gauge that I can pick faster on.
And when I do find out what dimension its measured by, can i just stick a scientific ruler next to it and see o_O?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
im pretty sure its in hundredths of an inch
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115

Got this from the ibanez maintenance site-thing, so hopefully this is accurate.

EDIT: I don't know how to measure the string gauge, sorry. ):

This is the best thing I found, but I don't know how to read it
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Feb 9, 2009,
you use a device called a caliper and measure it not a ruler. Calipers will either have the measurement on it or you just find one to match.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Well it was probably a standard set, so 105 to 45 or 100 to 45 sounds right. if you want to go smaller get a 90 to 40 set. but if you tune down, smaller strings will sound terrible.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Quote by Spankyx2
Well it was probably a standard set, so 105 to 45 or 100 to 45 sounds right. if you want to go smaller get a 90 to 40 set. but if you tune down, smaller strings will sound terrible.

Oh, I forgot to mention I use a 5 string bass. But I always play standard unless I'm playing with my band. They tune drop D so I tune to ADADG. But one step down aint no "biggy" eh?

Edit: well I play bass, so im probably gonna have to live with it and practice practice practice...
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Last edited by PluckU at Feb 9, 2009,
smaller strings are gona sound wierd if your drop tuning it. if you want to make picking easier... PRACTICE. if your drop tuned already and you have trouble. start doing some exercises.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
go to your local music shop, they should be able to measure the strings for you. micrometer or something
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
This is what I use, it is an engineers measuring device called a Micrometre which measures in thousands of an inch.
If you do get one make sure that it measures in imperial and not metric.

G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by zipper-mouth
smaller strings are gona sound wierd if your drop tuning it. if you want to make picking easier... PRACTICE. if your drop tuned already and you have trouble. start doing some exercises.

Haha, did you fail to see my post? 5 string standard, go into drop d maybe once a week...
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek