Has anyone played, or had any kind of experience with these? And no, not the Epiphone reissue, the 70-80's originals.

Its kind of a curiosity of mine, as they seem to be the only remarkable basses Gibson has managed to manufacture, then discontinue I saw a neat looking vintage Grabber on eBay for a few hundred bucks that i thought would be kinda cool to have. Anyways, im just wondering how they sound.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by Guitar_Jester
Awesome. Nothing more to say about it. Just awesome.

Not to be a prick or anything, but specifics would be wonderful.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Never played one, but I think they're ugly.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
they weigh a ****ing ton. my personal favourite is the G3
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I like them...alot. They are really nice instruments. I would like to own one. But they really don't offer anything sound wise that a Fender doesn't do.

EDIT: Unless you can track down one of the early models that have a maple body.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 9, 2009,
There was one in the Chicago craigslist last week. Not there anymore.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Back in the late 70's my buddies and I would swap our basses for a week or two just to get familiar with a variety of brands. One of the guys had a 76 Grabber with the sliding pickup (like this one ). I didn't like the large body shape, tuning keys, or range of sounds. It wasn't as refined asother basses and did not sound good through my ghetto wired Fender Bassman head. At the time I owned a Guild B-302 with a small body, enclosed Schallers, and dual sc pups, so I was very biased. When I hear a Gibson Grabber today I think that they have an excellent sound for reggae, hip hop, and some classic rock if paired with a couple 15's. The next time you see a good deal you should snag it up.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
I the Epiphone reissues aren't half bad though, well worth the price.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Ive played the Grabber, and found it to be much more comfortable than the Thunderbird, and about par with the SG. Weight was about in between the two, but Ive never really found weight to be a problem (aren't I the macho man...). Tone wise, the sliding pickup is a bit of a gimmick as it doesn't affect the tone a huge amount and I found it much easier to play in the neck position than in the bridge position.
Tone was good, what you'd expect from a single Gibson humbucker and with just about enough range to make it viable as an only bass, but certainly not on a par with something like a J-Bass or PJ. Similar to a P-Bass' range, with a degree more flexibility due to the sliding puppy.
Similarly, playability was good, but Ive always liked Gibsons from that perspective. Someone used to J-Basses (in particular Aerodynes and Geddy Lees) would find it bulky, but they wouldnt want a Grabber anyways...
I would point out that the tuners on the one I played had been upgraded to Hipshots. Wouldn't know about the originals.
I've played an Ibanez copy made around the same time, back before any cease-and-desist action from any of the big companies.

Weighed a ton. Sounded great, but not amazing. Nice feel.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210