these any good? i cant afford a marshall jcm2000 tube yet, so just startin with the SS halfstack. any infos appreciated
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Oh god dont do it

inb4 mg hate
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
in that price range, the combos are gonna be a lot better than the halfstacks. MG's are terrible amps. budget? styles? location? willing to go used?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
MG = BAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDD

give me a budget an i can recommend you some good amps
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
MG = BAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDD

give me a budget an i can recommend you some good amps

To the rescue again...

DO NOT GET AN MG!

I think you'll be better with a small tube combo amp.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Please don't do it. You could get a JCM 2000 combo for the price of an MG halfstack, if that's what you want.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by GNRjungle87
To the rescue again...

im just doing my best to persuade the amp n00bs not to get these amps

MG+ amp n00b + long periods of time without trying any amp = whiny little amp n00b who thinks the Mg is the greatest amp in the world..........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Jesus not another one. In the sticky that says read the rule before posting, shouldnt someone add "never ask about a MG being any good" or perhaps "never mention mgs......ever"???
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
budget? styles? location? willing to go used?

That and everything else said for that matter.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
oops hahaha ok fair enough, had a guy at a guitar store tell me it was good...apparently not!

i play 80s rock, prog and metal.
budget up to $1000
would like something new (less problems) was even thinkin into the bugera line...6260 i heard was good

thanks for the input

EDIT: as you can see in my sig, i have enough pedals and pedal board that i dont need to get into effects modeling in the amp
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

Last edited by thedekker at Feb 9, 2009,
the 6260 is a bit more high gain than you need. i'd get a peavey windsor halfstack and an OD to boost it, then i'd replace the peavey cabinet
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the 6260 is a bit more high gain than you need. i'd get a peavey windsor halfstack and an OD to boost it, then i'd replace the peavey cabinet

Or buy a windsor head and good cab elsewhere.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Or buy a windsor head and good cab elsewhere.

the head and the halfstack ar the same price, so...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
It has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE. But in all seriousness instead of getting a stupid cheap half stack which is most likely compensating for "something else" get a good amp.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I highly recommend the Traynor YCV-50 Blue and also the Traynor YCS-50. Try both of these out if possible at a local store (not sure if anyone around you will carry them because they're made in Canada). Very good amps.

Also look at Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Works extremely well with pedals.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
(not sure if anyone around you will carry them because they're made in Canada). Very good amps.

i live in canada, so i will keep my eyes open. thanks!
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

You'll hear a bunch of the same responses, so I'll give you something different:

Pod x3
Power Engine 60

A modeller worth its weight in gold with a tube amp designed for pods and modelers.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
a peavey classic 50 212 will give you all the tube tone you need for now mate.

those mgs are pure crap, and i love marshalls. indian built with fans in them that always break down, crap components and digital fake sounding overdrive you will sicken of in six months.

really reccomend the classic 50. can sound really dirty, but is clear and you will not sicken of it in 6 months.

invest my man
Quote by sesstreets
You'll hear a bunch of the same responses, so I'll give you something different:

Pod x3
Power Engine 60

A modeller worth its weight in gold with a tube amp designed for pods and modelers.

this is a good setup, but i think with $1000 and only a few different genres to cover, he should look tube. plus he didnt say that he records or anything. and i think that the power engine 60 is solid state
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Check the Fender tube combos. You can get a ton of power and versatility for a $1000 range, then throw a pedal in for your metal sounds (you'll need one). Guitar Center needs to either start selling more Marshall tube combos(theyre hard to come by here), or stop telling people the MG's are good
Guys don't even respond to these threads. I'm highly convinced they are all trolls and even if they arn't, anyone that is too stupid to spend 5 mins searching these forums for a good amp is not worth the time required to recommend him a good one.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
He plays 80s rock, prog, and metal, and you guys are suggesting fenders?

TS, lose the MT2 (bees in a can). Also, I'd note that bugera aren't the most reliable, but they do have a good warranty.

Your sort of in a hard budget TS, new there isn't a whole lot, but used you have plenty to look at.

New

Bogner alchemist, might not have enough gain (I think it does, but your preferences are different, try before you buy)
Traynor YCV50Blue YCS50, again not enough gain, with an OD you'd probably be good, again try before you buy
Bugera, See above, pretty much all there amps are good for what you want
Randall RG50TC, below budget, worth a look
Carvin V3, it'll be pretty hard to try one, but you can order from the factory and return it later, they have a solid return policy

Used
Mesa F30/50 DC3/5, can do what you want to a "t"
Mesa Mark IV, might be hard to find, might be over budget
Mesa Mark III, ditto mark IV
Peavey 5150/6505, find a used head and pick up a different cab, the peavey cab and speakers are not good
Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra, Plenty of gain they're all a bit different, but all similar in ways, plenty of configurations, again avoid peavey cabs.
Ampeg VH140-C, SS, brootal as hell, well below budget. Head and combo configurations available
JCM800, Would need a boost for more brutal stuff, basically every 80s rock band used one
JCM900/2000, For the 2000, the DSL head is generally considered the best, the combos and the TSL aren't considered as good, for the 900, same as 800, but more gain, probably would only need a boost for the uber br00talz

That's all I can think of, certainly a good list to get you going.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 9, 2009,
If you can find one, buy a Marshall JCM Combo. It is usually $600, the same price as an MG.

Trust me, it is worth it. I had the MG half stack and I am selling it and getting the JCM combo instead.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by thedekker
i live in canada, so i will keep my eyes open. thanks!

Go to Long & McQuade and they carry Traynors, go and try out the YCV50 and YCS50. If you want to play like 80s rock and 80s metal sort of thing (like Judas Priest sort of metal), then you want one of these two amps, I guarantee you. Traynor amps are great. The other thing to look for is a used Mesa F-30.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Kevin Saale
He plays 80s rock, prog, and metal, and you guys are suggesting fenders?

TS, lose the MT2 (bees in a can). Also, I'd note that bugera aren't the most reliable, but they do have a good warranty.

Your sort of in a hard budget TS, new there isn't a whole lot, but used you have plenty to look at.

New

Bogner alchemist, might not have enough gain (I think it does, but your preferences are different, try before you buy)
Traynor YCV50Blue YCS50, again not enough gain, with an OD you'd probably be good, again try before you buy
Bugera, See above, pretty much all there amps are good for what you want
Randall RG50TC, below budget, worth a look
Carvin V3, it'll be pretty hard to try one, but you can order from the factory and return it later, they have a solid return policy

Used
Mesa F30/50 DC3/5, can do what you want to a "t"
Mesa Mark IV, might be hard to find, might be over budget
Mesa Mark III, ditto mark IV
Peavey 5150/6505, find a used head and pick up a different cab, the peavey cab and speakers are not good
Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra, Plenty of gain they're all a bit different, but all similar in ways, plenty of configurations, again avoid peavey cabs.
Ampeg VH140-C, SS, brootal as hell, well below budget. Head and combo configurations available
JCM800, Would need a boost for more brutal stuff, basically every 80s rock band used one
JCM900/2000, For the 2000, the DSL head is generally considered the best, the combos and the TSL aren't considered as good, for the 900, same as 800, but more gain, probably would only need a boost for the uber br00talz

That's all I can think of, certainly a good list to get you going.

very helpful thanks! will look around for these
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Quote by Greenwood991
Guys don't even respond to these threads. I'm highly convinced they are all trolls and even if they arn't, anyone that is too stupid to spend 5 mins searching these forums for a good amp is not worth the time required to recommend him a good one.

yikes, i thought a forum like this was used to ask questions to people who play guitar too...people with more knowledge of a good amp than me

didnt see a thread on the mg so i asked a question about it

man i love message boards

EDIT: Go cry in your pillow and listen to radiohead
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Last edited by thedekker at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by thedekker

didnt see a thread on the mg so i asked a question about it

theres at least 3 every week, just USE THE DAMN SEARCHBAR!!!!!
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
theres at least 3 every day, just USE THE DAMN SEARCHBAR!!!!!

Fixed.

While I agree with these guys, I decided to let it go since I'm in a good mood today.

TS: really, now you're making a jackass of yourself, the other guys are right. The Greenwood guy was a bit out of line as well since we were already past the MG thing and this had become a what amp thread.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
this is a good setup, but i think with $1000 and only a few different genres to cover, he should look tube. plus he didnt say that he records or anything. and i think that the power engine 60 is solid state

Its a 60 watt tube amp dude. :P
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Do Not Get Anything With Mg Written On It! And May I Advise A Nice Randall Or Peavey!
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Jesus Christ save the world from MG's and Spider's...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by leondb
Jesus Christ save the world from old threads being bumped for no apparent reason...

Fixed.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by BlaketheHero
Worst. Amp. Ever.

Thank you for that enlightening post, I'm so glad you revived this thread for that.

*reported*

Edit: ^Gah, you beat me to it.
What can I say? I'm as cool as a body on ice, hotter than a rolling dice...yeah, I'm getting there. I better hold off cause I got a guy I'm trying to help.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by sesstreets
Its a 60 watt tube amp dude. :P

it's solid state, and it's made to be used as a "transparent" amp with preamp devices.
e.g. you have the pod, and rather than plugging it into a real amp and getting different tone from that, you get 60 watts of power and the tone from the power engine.

but anyways, threadstarter, bugera is good if unreliable, try the 6260 and 333/333xl. if you can find some good deals on ebay or craigslist you can probably get a used peavey 5150 or xxx, or used mesa f-30.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20