At what speed does something become "Shred"?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I thought shred had more to do with the style of playing combined with speed. Because there are guitar pieces that are very fast that are not shred.
Last edited by Musical Goblin at Feb 9, 2009,
yes, style of playing : stupidly fast scales, no real musical value.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Around 10 notes per second is the cutoff for shred, but shred is about more than just playing fast; I wouldn't classify a fast Hendrix or Angus solo as shred, even though plenty of their solos break the 10 nps mark.

Edit: To all the responses above this, give a helpful answer or shut up; no one asked for your ignorant opinion of shred.

Edit 2: The above does not apply to response #2.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 9, 2009,
when its all lulululululululululululululululululululululluulul in like a second.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Shred is a type of music where most of the song is played fast(10nps or so). While many of the great classic guitarists do play this fast in some of their solos, they are not playing 'shred' music. They are playing classic rock, jazz, blues, ect with a solo that is at the speed of 'shred.'

This is just my opinion. Musical classification is most often just that - opinion.
Quote by Ninjake
yes, style of playing : stupidly fast scales, no real musical value.

some shred stuff is actually really melodic, then again, alot is just scales.
For melodic stuff look at paul gilbert, satch and Vai (the big three)