Page 1 of 2
The dilemma
Ook, so I have a dilemma and I hope you guys could help me out.
I'm thinking of buying new gear, seeing I'm tired of the mediocre set-up I now have.

I have a Godin Freeway Classic (~500$) and a Roland Cube Street amp (~200$).
I mostly play classic rock, blues and some harder rock.
Right now I'm a bedroom guitarist (unfortunately... ) BUT I'm hopefully going to join a band in the near future. I might not need the new gear until then, but I'm still thinking about it.

The guituuur
What I would like is a great guitar (obviously...) that fits my styles. I'd love to buy a Les Paul Standard, but the (ridiculously high!) price tag is keeping me from doing it. So do you have any suggestions for an alternative to the Gibson? If possible, can you tell me the pros and cons of your suggestions? (Price range: 1500-2000$)

The amp
I'm thinking of buying a Peavey Classic 30 combo, seeing how many people rave about it here at UG. However, I always like to consider other options...Preferably a tube amp of about 30W that fits my styles. (Price range: 500-700$)

This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm missing info...just tell me
Last edited by MCRibz at Feb 10, 2009,
Music man guitars are sex

I've only held one but it felt magical

imo, you might want to balance your budgets a bit, that's a major gap between the amp and guitar. Depends on what you need the gear for of course...
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 9, 2009,
well seeing that you have a big budget for a guitar can you just switch you amp money to you guitar money......

if you want a les paul check int the Epiphone Les Paul Custom or an Agile Les Paul or a Tokai or used Orville.......

for an amp for hard rock to classic you cant go wrong with a USED (pick one)
Budda Super Drive 30 series II
Blackheart Hot Head
Peavey Classic 50
Peavey classic 30
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange Rocker 30
Orange AD30 HTC
Marshall JCM 800
Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Splawn Quickrod
Bogner XTC/Ecstasy
Bogner Shiva
Dr. Z MAZ 38 Sr NR
Cornford Hurricane

EDIT:
i didnt see the amp wattage that you want.......
go with the name of the amp that i bolded, those are 30w amps.
but all of the other amp are great.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Blackheart Hot Head
Peavey Classic 50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange Rocker 30
Orange AD30 HTC
Marshall JCM 800
VOX AC50
Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Splawn Quickrod
Bogner XTC/Ecstasy
Bogner Shiva
Dr. Z MAZ 38 Sr NR
Budda Superdrive
Budda Superdrive II
Dumble Overdrive

Of those amps only the Classic 50 is within his budget. I have a Shiva on my local clist for $1700 and a Budda SD 30 for $1000.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1026919601.html Budda
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/1026856476.html Shiva
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 9, 2009,
Read his post guys...

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well seeing that you have a big budget for a guitar can you just switch you amp money to you guitar money
Quote by Mosho2
Read his post guy...

fixed
Quote by Mosho2
Read his post guys...

as you know that the amp is the most important part of the guitarst's rig
so it will be the best if he spend more on the amp than on the guitar........
and i clearly said that TS must look for those amps used
feel free to add me
I could change the amp money for guitar, except I'm not crazy about playing a good guitar through my crappy amp...unless I'm wrong to think this?
but still, $700 is really pushing it for those amps you listed (yes, used....if you can find me a dumble used for $700, then something has to be upside-down)

and i personally wouldnt call the amp the most important part, but we wont talk about that here, or anywhere for that matter because it will just end in us all looking like bickering idiots.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
but still, $700 is really pushing it for those amps you listed (yes, used....if you can find me a dumble used for $700, then something has to be upside-down)

ummm his guitar budget is $2500...........
feel free to add me
Instead of a Gibson LP, perhaps look into Edwards, Tokai or a Japanese Epiphone. Also check out Epiphone Elitist Les Pauls if you can find one. Gibsons are damned overpriced.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
ummm his guitar budget is $2500...........

the way he makes it sound, his working budget is $700 and his theoretical budget is the $1500-2500, but that is how i look at it.

also, i'm not going to offer up amps that will consume ALL of his income, as i know i wouldnt spend all my money on gear. a man's gotta eat y'know.
spend more on the amp. youve already got a decent guitar, and could still afford a better one while spending more on the amp
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Skierinanutshel
the way he makes it sound, his working budget is $700 and his theoretical budget is the $1500-2500, but that is how i look at it.

also, i'm not going to offer up amps that will consume ALL of his income, as i know i wouldnt spend all my money on gear. a man's gotta eat y'know.

well you got a point there but from how i see it his Amp buget is $700 and his guitar budget is $2500 sooo all together its $3200...... but if TS gets settled in in one of the cheap amps ive listed then he could use his extra money for pedals, food, beer, and drugs....................... skip the beer and drugs......
feel free to add me
I can't spend more than 3000$ in total. I would also probably sell my old amp, which would make me gain a measly 100-150$. But hey, everything counts!
Gibsons are damn overpriced in general, but not all of them. As a Gibson owner and someone who has tried out a lot of guitars, Gibson has almost seemed worth every penny of the price.

For your styles, I would recommend a Fender or a Gibson.

If you were to get a Fender, go for the stratocaster. Try all different kinds, from artist models to reissues to an American stratocaster and find the one that best suits your taste. However, if you're going for that nice guitar growl, I'd also buy a pedal to strengthen the sound. For this, I'd pick either a fuzz pedal or a Ibanez Tubescreamer (if you buy a tube amp).

If you are going to go for a Gibson, it will come with some price and some leaning. If you are more classic rock/blues, then I would go for a Les Paul/ES-335. If you're more leaned for hard rock, I'd go for a Les Paul or an SG. The Les Paul works for almost every style of music and has killer tone. There are also many different types of these guitars.

To iterate this, you have to try out these guitars.

Ampwise, there is a preference based on what style you're more inclined to, however I'd go for a tube amp.

If you get a Fender guitar, I'd suggest to also get a Fender Amp. You can easily find a Fender Twin Reverb or a Fender '59 Bassman RI on eBay in your amp price range, so I'd get that.

If you're more hard rock, I'd go for a Marshall. Marshall-wise, I don't want to give you an opinion because I'm very biased towards their more expensive tube amps. However, I would say to get one of their amps that doesn't have a lot of unnecessary things for your style.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
3000$ is thehighest I could pay...but I'd rather pay less, because even if guitar is very important to me, I have other needs.

To all who replied, thanks for the help! very appreciated
Keep on posting ideas, I love having varied choices!
i honestly wouldnt go for a Gibby. sure, they are nice, but waaayyyy overpriced.

as for amps....sounds like a JTM45 would suit you quite nicely.

i would look into ceriatone (www.ceriatone.com) for their JTM45 clone (it is about 900 assembled and shipped with tubes but no head cabinet) or metropolous (i dot know the website....but google does)

oh yes, and then you need a cabinet. look for a used (or new...about $400 shipped i think?) 2x12 avatar as they are great cabs.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Feb 9, 2009,
Wouldn't that add up to to around 1300$? I dont know if I wanna spend that much for an amp just yet.
Quote by MCRibz
Wouldn't that add up to to around 1300$? I dont know if I wanna spend that much for an amp just yet.

Didn't you say not to go over $3000? That leaves $1700 for a guitar. So what is the story here?
but do you really need a Gibby? or a $2000 guitar for that matter? i'm just curious.

Of course I don't need a 2000$ guitar. But it sure would make me happy

Didn't you say not to go over $3000? That leaves $1700 for a guitar. So what is the story here?

You're right...sorry I didnt think there.
You might be right...
Ok so let's say I drop the range to 1500 to 2000 for the guitar, which guitars would be good for what I play?Suggestions please...so I could make a choice. Thanks!
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030
1,199 for a gibson les paul

Leaving you ample money to buy a tube amp. Seeing as how you have 3k to spend ......

Now be realistic and tell us how much Total you are REALLY gonna spend.
Quote by MCRibz
You might be right...
Ok so let's say I drop the range to 1500 to 2000 for the guitar, which guitars would be good for what I play?Suggestions please...so I could make a choice. Thanks!

ummm...
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Tokai Les Paul
Agile Les Paul
Edwards Les Paul
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Schecter C1 Classic (non EMG)
Schecter 2009 OMEN EXTREME
Paul Reed Smith Custom
Ernie Ball Music Man..........
feel free to add me
or, get an american fender for $1000, and you get an amazing instrument, and then a bunch left for the amp.

I know Strats are great, and I would want one, except I don't think I could get that LP tone out of it?
Quote by MCRibz
mmmmm the Music Mans look friggin sexy!

John Petrucci uses them...............
feel free to add me
If you did get the strat, get one with a humbucker too, like an HSS Strat; that way, you could replace that humbucker with something that could maybe cover that LP tone.

now I'm leaning towards music man...try to persuade me.pros/cons

or dissuade(is this a word??) me. With, of course, another option.pros/cons
cons: expensive.

pros: well i'd hope for the money you spend it is all pro's.

do you need to save money for anything? school? bills? like you said, you are a "bedroom guitarist" and will soon, maybe, need better gear for a band. that doesnt mean you need super expensive equipment though.

is anyone else gonna back me up on this? or am i at it alone.
Page 1 of 2