So I found a used Gibson Explorer online in my area the other day. Deciding to buy it. Let me know if you think I'm getting a decent deal.

2006 Gibson Explorer (white/cream)
New ones retail for $1300 USD
ZW EMG's installed 85/81 (worth $200 USD)
I'm buying from original owner for $825 USD
Includes: case (a little busted up, but works), strap w/ strap locks installed

Usage: it was gigged with, never dropped
Condition: very nice, I played it the other day, has minor scratching on headstock from changing strings, one minor ding on finish under bridge, some screws are rusty though (assume from sweaty gigging....my shop said they can replace for free)

Anyway, let me know your thoughts/comments. I saw prices on ebay were comparable....and keep in mind that Hetfield is my favorite guitar player, so I didn't want this to slip away. My first/only guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus

I have 2 amps. Line 6 Spider III 15w (SS); and Fender Super Champ XD (tube)

Pics attached, seller took these with his iphone......looks much better in person, trust me.
Attachments:
explorer1.jpg
explorer2.jpg
explorer3.jpg
explorer4.jpg
get it

but check the serial number online first, just to make sure!

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
oh yeah

get yourself a new amp, dont disgrace the Gibson by playing through a Spider (no offence)

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Very nice. That's the Explorer I would get.
It's somewhat wasted on a young Metallica fanboy who owns nothing but little cheap amps. (just my opinion, no big deal)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Got any pictures of serial number?

This is how to date it when you see it.

YDDDYNNN

Y= Year eg 06 = 2006
D = Day of year eg 2 = 2nd February
N = Factory, over 500 is nashville which is what it should be because it is a 2006 model.

So the serial number should be 0xxx65xx
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Do it, but only if you plan to run it through the Fender; EMGs + SS = bad. EMGs + Spider = Dear god no.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Sweet. Sounds like most people would be happy with it for that price.

I hear you guys on the amp comments. Note how I never said I thought my Spider was any good :P

However, I'm not in the market for a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with a 4x12 cab just yet. I've only been playing for less than 2 years, so the Line 6 was my first amp before I could play anything.

Working my way up to better gear as my playing gets better. I'll probably take my new Explorer to my guitar store and try different amps eventually, and settle on one that rocks the F out!

Thanks, fellow UGers. Happy rockin'
Yeah, I'll run it through the Fender to start and see how it goes. I want to check out the new Peavey Vypyr's too. Heard good things. You think that would be good for this guitar?? I do like me some bitchin' chunky distortion.

He just texted me serial number:

Must be a 2005 make, but he prob actually bought it from Guitar Center in 2006
Looks like a decent deal to me. You did haggle him down some though right?
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by CBNJ
I like it. Claudio Sanchez uses them and they are amazing looking.

All he needs is a Puerto Rican Flag on it...

Anyway, go for it dude
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Only got him down from $850. He originally had it for sale for $900 (which I confirmed in the original ad over a month ago)

So he wasn't budging much, and I am not a great negotiator anyway. All good, cause I've got the loot right now....and honestly I didn't want to scare him (my new guitar) off by being a hardass about the price when I think it's a good deal.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Sounds like a great deal.

The vypyr is a great amp, still SS though so EMGs are kinda pointless with it. That's like pouring water into a full glass.

oh, didn't realize. anyway, i'll keep lookin.....only suggested the vypyr cause i heard of them recently....

thanks for letting me know

getting the guitar Wed night....waiting for money to clear
I actually just got one (from a friend a good deal). I would go for it, but i love the stock pickups too much to actually switchem.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by cheesenachos
oh, didn't realize. anyway, i'll keep lookin.....only suggested the vypyr cause i heard of them recently....

thanks for letting me know

getting the guitar Wed night....waiting for money to clear

Yeah if i was you i'd save up for a nice, higher-gain tube amp if anything. The vypyr is great and all but it can't replace a tube amp.
Quote by Oujou
I love Explorers, Lucky you.

I do too.

But if any1 gets one DONT CHANGE THE PUPS. the stock ones are really good
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
yeah, i mean, the stock pickups are gone. EMGs installed, so I have no choice. but I want the EMGs so I'm good there. Now i'm just previewing tube amps that rock. just checked out the valveking 112 on youtube, sounds good. may have to demo that one

can't wait til wed night.....maybe i'll post a vid after i get it
Nice man it looks good, I'm a fan of the Explorers too. I just got my first Gibson for christmas, a Flying V.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
I would have also asked the seller to include the stock Gibson 500T/498T pickups in the sale.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Very nice. That's the Explorer I would get.
It's somewhat wasted on a young Metallica fanboy who owns nothing but little cheap amps. (just my opinion, no big deal)

don't hate, congratulate

i'll see how it sounds out of my Fender and take it from there. wouldn't expect much out of the Line 6. but i don't play professionally or anything.
Quote by Van Noord
I would have also asked the seller to include the stock Gibson 500T/498T pickups in the sale.

Yeah that would be a good idea, if not you can always buy them off of eBay, I've seen them relatively cheap.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Van Noord

i think he would have, but the stock pickups I believe he gave/sold to the people/shop who installed the EMGs upon purchase
Quote by Gibson V
Nice man it looks good, I'm a fan of the Explorers too. I just got my first Gibson for christmas, a Flying V.

dude, i love the V's. I actually just tried out a Shecter Hellraiser V (non Floyd Rose), and it was really nice. it was the first V i ever played.

only issue with the V for me, is I play A LOT sitting down. so the V always slides of my lap 0_o

the Explorer is a nice lap guitar along with my Epi Les Paul. but don't worry, I stand up and rock out just the same!
Quote by cheesenachos
He just texted me serial number: 005960553
Must be a 2005 make, but he prob actually bought it from Guitar Center in 2006

The first and fifth numbers tell the year so it is a 2006 model. Numbers 2,3,4 tell the day of the year it was made so it was made on Feb. 28, 2006.

The serial number will be an 8 digit number impressed into the back of the headstock with "MADE IN USA" below. In 2008 Gibson started putting the year below the "MADE IN USA".

The pattern is as follows:
YDDDYRRR
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Gibson USA goes to a 9 digit serial number in early July 2005..
The sixth number is now a batch number- batch 0 starts at the beginning of the day,
and once we stamp 699, the batch number will change to 1.
The first 5 numbers remain the same, the last 3 numbers will remain the same.
The only difference is the addition of this batch indicator.
Quote by cheesenachos
dude, i love the V's. I actually just tried out a Shecter Hellraiser V (non Floyd Rose), and it was really nice. it was the first V i ever played.

only issue with the V for me, is I play A LOT sitting down. so the V always slides of my lap 0_o

the Explorer is a nice lap guitar along with my Epi Les Paul. but don't worry, I stand up and rock out just the same!

Those Hellraiser Vs look nice but I haven't had the chance to try one out. I actually don't think playing them sitting down is all that bad as long as you have a strap, I don't know maybe its just me. I was looking at getting an Explorer too, someday when I have a legit job I'll definately get one.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The first and fifth numbers tell the year so it is a 2006 model. Numbers 2,3,4 tell the day of the year it was made so it was made on Feb. 28, 2006.

The serial number will be an 8 digit number impressed into the back of the headstock with "MADE IN USA" below. In 2008 Gibson started putting the year below the "MADE IN USA".

The pattern is as follows:
YDDDYRRR
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Gibson USA goes to a 9 digit serial number in early July 2005..
The sixth number is now a batch number- batch 0 starts at the beginning of the day,
and once we stamp 699, the batch number will change to 1.

The first 5 numbers remain the same, the last 3 numbers will remain the same.
The only difference is the addition of this batch indicator.

Thanks man. That helps a lot
When I got my Gibbo it was such a huge jump in quality than from what I was used to, it was astonishing to say the least.

DO IT, you will prolly not forget it.
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Quote by Butters8754
When I got my Gibbo it was such a huge jump in quality than from what I was used to, it was astonishing to say the least.

DO IT, you will prolly not forget it.

Sounds good. Yeah, I'm getting it in 2 days. Sounds like most people think it's a good enough deal......I'll try to post new pics or vid after that.

Thanks for advice
If your getting EMGs get an tube amp. Blackheart little giant is good.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.