So our band are this week recording all of our work over 2 years. Anyway the guitarist just cant stay in time. We spent 2 weeks trying to get a song down and his timing is all over the place. We play stuff in odd time sigs so this makes it impossible. We have told him he is out he has practised really hard but apart from giving him guitar lessons he wont get it.

Should I either rerecord his parts without telling him, tell him i will play his parts on my own songs (95 percent of the material). He doesnt like a lot of the songs as well which makes it impossible so i potentially could say record what you like and are willing to put in effort for i.e. your song and ill do the rest. The band is basically just a recording project now, there isnt any hope of success if the guys are just in a band for the sake of being in a band.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Feb 9, 2009,
It doesn't really sound like he's committed; is replacing him an option?
That's what I'd do first, although I know how hard it can be.
If that doesn't work I would just tell him that you'll play his parts on your own.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
Just record his parts for him and then get a new guitarist if you want to play live.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Um...if he can't keep time it might just mean he has no rhythm, and if that's the case he probably needs either a ****load of practice or needs to be replaced. of course...you could look at dragonforce, they can't keep time for **** but their records sound ok (if you like that).

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
You can automate a click track to switch between the time signatures in Pro Tools, I don't know if that's what you're using but I'd think that other DAWs can do it too. That might help him practice. You could also bounce the drums/bass/whatever to mp3/wav before you record him and you have him practice at home before he comes into the studio.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You can automate a click track to switch between the time signatures in Pro Tools, I don't know if that's what you're using but I'd think that other DAWs can do it too. That might help him practice. You could also bounce the drums/bass/whatever to mp3/wav before you record him and you have him practice at home before he comes into the studio.

Yeah we did that but he cant even play in 4/4. I was recording drum tracks at the studio and he was playing along for a guide and i had to get him to stop. He is a nice guy and tries hard but he doesnt like a lot of the music and isnt up to the standard for prog metal.
Let me get this straight: you've had a guitar player who can't keep time and doesn't like the material for 2 YEARS?! What the hell are you waiting for, a written invitation? The guy doesn't belong in your band.
Quote by koslack
Let me get this straight: you've had a guitar player who can't keep time and doesn't like the material for 2 YEARS?! What the hell are you waiting for, a written invitation? The guy doesn't belong in your band.

he joined 3 months ago. hard to get any musicians where we live
I've worked with someone like this. I was straightforward about it. I basically told him that he couldn't play in time, and neither could I until I first tried playing with a band. That was how I learned. I offered to help him out on the side, but I let him know that he just couldn't be a part of a band until he learned to play in at least 4/4.
Quote by SPBY
Um...if he can't keep time it might just mean he has no rhythm, and if that's the case he probably needs either a ****load of practice or needs to be replaced. of course...you could look at dragonforce, they can't keep time for **** but their records sound ok (if you like that).

that was mean..... but seriously, they DO play in time, maybe not in the '06 years, but in 08 and 09, they were MUCH better
DON'T RECORD UNTIL EVERY LAST DETAIL IS DOWN. Sorry for screaming at you but this is almost everybody's rule #1.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.