In the future i want to start to play alot of dream theater, These Walls, Root of all evil, Glass Prison, etc... .

Problem is I dont know how much strings i need? I know all need at least 7? Do i need an 8 string or does Pettrucci only use a 7? also on his Musicman signature their are only 6 strings?

Please help so confused.
He uses 6 and 7-String guitars.

If you go 7 I recommend Ibanez.

It's High-quality and not that expensive.
Last edited by cleptobismal at Feb 9, 2009,
I know Petrucci uses a 7 string in Suspended Animation, so I'm sure he uses one at least some of the time in Dream Theatre. No idea about an 8 string though.
Terrible even.
Petrucci. Learn to spell.

He uses 6 and 7 string Musicman guitars. Listen to the songs to figure out which is what.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
You can play a lot of their songs with a 6-string, 7 really doesn't do much
for the performance, except for access to 6-8 more notes, but who needs that?
^ 5 more notes technically. one thing about 7 strings though is that you can do movement arrangements differently and make certain things alot easier.
Quote by cleptobismal
You can play a lot of their songs with a 6-string, 7 really doesn't do much
for the performance, except for access to 6-8 more notes, but who needs that?

Ur entirely missing the concept of the low B string on guitar.

It's to shift the sound down, and create a new way to approach the guitar.

Yes technically you can play that stuff, but for me tiny details is what separates the good guitarists from the best guitarists.

TS if you wanna play Dream Theatre stuff, I can really suggest a 7 string guitar. Petrucci doesn't use 8.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??