I just started teaching myself how to rollerblade. Now, I know you're generally supposed to learn that when you're younger; I really do feel silly as a 17 year old girl stumbling around in her driveway. My little brother (age eleven) is also learning, along with my 25-year-old brother whenever he's home from med school. He's the one who convinced us to buy the skates, which didn't take much effort as I've been meaning to learn anyway. It's interesting to see both of them fall. It's not that it hurts all that much, it's just their reactions...
My youngest brother was mainly raised with me as the older sibling figure since both of my brothers are much older and moved out when he was little. He's not the toughest since I'm so affectionate with him and most of his friends are sweet boys, and seeing him falling over himself and going through consistent pain is almost rewarding in that I get to watch him grow, both muscle and a backbone.
My older brother is also fun to watch because he's so determined to get better... It irks him that he doesn't know these 'childish' things and so he ventures out to learn them, and he describes falling backward as 'the most helpless, miserable feeling', not because it hurts, but because of the stress response and humiliation attached. My brother is a very active, strong guy so seeing him in that position is amusing and somewhat enlightening.
After experiencing these things that most people go through as children, it makes me realize how important these activities are to shape character. You learn to accept drawbacks in times of pursuit and to maintain consistent determination, along with attaining accomplishment when you do end up getting better.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting, and learning is pretty damn fulfilling. Again, I feel kind of dumb at first, but I'm also getting a lot better, and it feels great on my legs after it's done. I recently started riding my bike again this month and had a similar moment of light. With all the college application mess and trying to stay competitive in school, we often forget the importance of little things, and it feels really great to be active and get back into these things.

Provide similar stories orrr just discuss =]

edit: tl;dr - Physical activities such as learning how to ride a bike or rollerblade help shape a kid's character. Looks like it can help adults too?
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Feb 9, 2009,
Blog Time!!!!!!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I'm gonna take up sandcastlebuilding once spring hits us. I've already started getting permits and a polish working force.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Fuck a rollerblade

Sector 9's are the bomb
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Quote by boreamor
I learnt to use the toilet last week! I'm a big boy now!

Then what was that puddle on my kitchen floor? My dog blamed it on you, are you calling him a liar?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Lego should be compulsory for all children to help build their minds.

Quote by Kensai
I'm gonna take up sandcastlebuilding once spring hits us. I've already started getting permits and a polish working force.

Egyptian serfs are way better. The hard part is convincing them that you are a god.
Last edited by Trefellin at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Trefellin
Lego should be compulsory for all children to help build their minds.

Also, small cities and castles.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Do you really need to learn how to rollerblade? It's pretty simple.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Kensai
Also, small cities and castles.

Well, naturally. Those miniature residences aren't going to build themselves and children work cheap.
not walking in on your father beating your mother won't make you a wife beater...

never happened to me...just saying...
Quote by Meths
Do you really know how to learn how to rollerblade? It's pretty simple.

It's only been two days and I pretty much got the hang of it, but it still took a lot of prep work
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Its called life; we do, learn, and grow. If you needed skates to figure that out, so be it.
Quote by boreamor
I learnt to use the toilet last week! I'm a big boy now!

I yearn to relive the days when it was not only acceptable, but expected of your to crap your pull-ups in the middle of a social situation *sigh*

Once I'm 80 and wearing pull-ups for a second time I think it will have lost its appeal by then
My sister is 18 and can't ride a bike.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by bendystraw
I got it started for you.

http://vintagexmetal.blogspot.com/

(password is carrot22)

I think it'll be more interesting to just watch what other users fill that thing up with.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

riding a bike like a lunatic was how i toughened myself up as a kid. i'm surprised i was still smart enough to get into uni after my head hitting the ground so much. playing rugby on a half concrete half grass footpath was also a bad idea. oh fun times.
I just went biking on Saturday with a friend (I haven't biked in at least a year), and I realized how fun it is just to get outside and do dumb childish stuff. You don't really have to think...you just LIVE. And learn a lot. You fall, you get up, you keep going. And you stay with it, for even hours before you're distracted.

Maybe this is why more kids are turning into stupid ****s with no attention span? We're doing schoolwork, watching TV, trying to grow up too fast, instead of enjoying our youth and learning from it.

(Don't mean to offend anyone who actually has ADHD or something, but it just seems ridiculous now the number of kids who have microscopic attention spans.)
Lack of email addy saddens me.

But yeah, I am learning to snowboard and it is nice to be humiliated once in a while.
Quote by gunther_sucks
Lack of email addy saddens me.

But yeah, I am learning to snowboard and it is nice to be humiliated once in a while.

what?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja