Hello.

My guitar goes out of tune a lot. And I mean A LOT. Too much. I have an Epiphone SG G-400. This guitar is a good guitar, it just never stays in tune.

When I would plug it into my tuner, i would play a string and it would go to the middle spot (the spot that means its in tune,) but it only stays for 1/4 of a second. Then the meter goes into some other spot and moves around. It never stays in tune, it nearly does but thenmoves to point where it is just not in tune. It is crucial for octave power chords, they need to be in tune in order to sound good,=.

Is this my guitar that is bad? I have used Ernie Ball 10's ever since I first got this guitar.

If it is the guitar, would there be any ways I can fix it at home for free?

If it gets too bad I will get some locking tuners.

Once again, why is my guitar going out of tune so much?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
1. Get it set up in case it's just nut set up.
2. Rub graphite in the nut.
3. If all else fails, locking tuners should get the job done.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Artemist Entreri: It has happened since I first got my guitar, and I put new strings on about a month ago.

Necrosis1193: Please explain what #1 means.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Get some DR 11's and a new nut. Also do a self set-up.
Should run you less than $20 and will help a lot.
The tuners are grovers and aren't bad.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
what tuner do you have?
what happens if you let the note ring?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
A poorly cut nut can be the source of your tuning issues. This is the nut of a guitar, necrosis1193 means to lube the nut of your guitar by putting some graphite in the slots of the nut. This can be achieved by drawing in the nut slots with a pencil or you could put some chapstick in the nut slots. I would advise lubing any points where the strings contact the bridge, if you have a Tune O Matic, go ahead and put a little chapstick on the saddles.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

EDIT: Here's a picture of the nut of a Gibson/Epiphone style guitar
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Feb 9, 2009,
Are you stringing the guitar properly? My cheap Ibanez used to go out of tune a lot, then I learnt how to lock the string when stringing, and now its a lot better. Just a though.
like it's been stated: get it set up, after I got mine set up it stayed in tune great. 'course, having it come with Grover tuners didn't hurt
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
SkaJon: I will try that out first.

Brownie2: I did put the strings on right. My guitar teacher told me his way to put them on that he learned from a luthier.

I will get some new strings soon, I will probably get some DR's this time. After I take the old ones off I will lube the nut. I will also lube the bridge, mine is a tune-o-matic and like SkaJon said, I should put chapstick on the saddles.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
probably just a setup issue. i have the same guitar, and although i tune it once everytime i play, most of the time, it's all good.
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Your G-400 should NOT be doing that if it's been made in the last 4 years. They all have Grover's on them now, and they carry a pretty good warranty I'd take it to the place you got it and speak to their tech cause that just ain't right.

However...if you're using 9-42 strings in B or something, then yeah that's gonna happen.

I have one of my guitars in C w/12-54's on it and stock tuners, and it holds it just fine, but yeah before I learned that when I was 16 back in the day I had 10-46's on there and would lose tuning after maybe 5 mins trying to learn some Cannibal Corpse riffs.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Anything work for you?
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by tmfiore
Hello.

My guitar goes out of tune a lot. And I mean A LOT. Too much. I have an Epiphone SG G-400. This guitar is a good guitar, it just never stays in tune.

Quote by tmfiore
Hello.

I have an Epiphone SG G-400. This guitar is a good guitar, it just never stays in tune.

Quote by tmfiore
Hello.

This guitar is a good guitar, it just never stays in tune.

Quote by tmfiore
Hello.

it just never stays in tune.

Buy a real guitar.