Page 1 of 2
Ive been on a quest to find the pick with the least amount of grip on the strings, that is to say it just glides on them rather than grabbing them. So far Ive gone through Nickle, Nylon, Lexan, Celluloid, Derlin,and others.
Derlin picks (Tortex) are all too thin and flexible for my taste, so I moved on to Gator Grips but found the tips wore too fast. I used a Dava Master control pick with a Nickle tip for a very long time and have just switched to Stubbys (Lexan) and Im still not 100% happy with the slickness of the picks. Is there anything better out there?
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Feb 9, 2009,
v-picks. yeah, they're a little expensive, but they're worth it.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Rock control is Derlin, I have one already
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Seems to me that all the nice slippery picks wear out fast. I am using gator now but they are not too smooth really. The smoothest I have used are the Fender or Gibson heavy small teardrop ones, they are polished and seamless but start to wear out immediately, and rarley last me more than a week.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 9, 2009,
Jazz III's seem slippery and nice to me.Have you tried Surfpicks?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Never heard of Surfpicks
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by Metalfan41
Never heard of Surfpicks

IIRC they're made of some kind of finished and hardened wood,so the tone is totally organic and it doesn't grab and resist the strings like artificial materials do.

Here's a link:

surf picks

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Ahh Ive seen them before, I wasnt sure about the idea of a wood pick but Ill have to check them out for sure
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by kaosxrocker
v-picks. yeah, they're a little expensive, but they're worth it.

This, never heard anyone say a bad thing once they have tried them.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
This, never heard anyone say a bad thing once they have tried them.

Do you know how well they hold up? I've been looking at some of the recommendations in this thread and I went and checked V-Picks out, and they look exactly like what I need. But at $4 each, are they gonna last forever?
I use Dunlop Tortex 1.14s, and I just file them down to a smooth beveled edge myself. I also use a hole punche to put a hole in them, and then a carve the hole out so it digs into my thumb and index finger better consider that.
I've never used them but maybe rubber picks would be worth a shot.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I use Dunlop Tortex 1.14s, and I just file them down to a smooth beveled edge myself. I also use a hole punche to put a hole in them, and then a carve the hole out so it digs into my thumb and index finger better consider that.
I didnt mean grip on the pick, I mean the pick grabbing the strings when I play and not getting a smooth enough response for my liking
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Give one of these a shot:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=pro+plec&st=

"D'Andrea Pro Plec Guitar Picks are deeply embossed for excellent grip, highly polished for smooth release, and precision beveled for tone and accuracy."

I've used them, still do sometimes. Great pick, great tone and they don't leave that plucking sound like most picks like Tortex do for example. Really nice smooth feel on the strings.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Jazz I's?
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Quote by I Poke Badgers
Do you know how well they hold up? I've been looking at some of the recommendations in this thread and I went and checked V-Picks out, and they look exactly like what I need. But at $4 each, are they gonna last forever?

You should google their site, it has all that sorta stuff on there. But yeah they last a long time because they are made out of a hard plexi material or something if memory serves.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Metalfan41
I didnt mean grip on the pick, I mean the pick grabbing the strings when I play and not getting a smooth enough response for my liking

Read the first two sentences of my post. I file down the side I use for picking. I file it down to a smooth beveled edge so it doesn't get caught in the strings and moves faster. I also just added in the part about how I do the grip just for kicks.
Maybe use a thicker jim dunlop tortex pick. thats all i use.
PG > YWM

oh, btw... is it bad if your pee is red?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
in scotland they call carbonated drinks 'juice' so you would say a can of juice for example. But they call poop jobbies, so their take on things doesn't count.
I had a glass pick once, smoooth. try google. I found one here $25 lol
I use a dunlop stubby 3mm jazz bazz pick, it's thicker and rounder so it slides across strings really nicely, but I've found that it creates a sharpness to my tone that I'm not crazy about, I might look into wooden picks, they seem like they'd be warmer.
Quote by Pac_man0123
You hold them in your teeth?

If i happen to be doing something that requires both hands (finger picking, adjusting a pedal setting, like that) then yeah, I'll hold the pick with my teeth while I'm doing that.
I'm using a Jazz III Stubby 2.0 mm and I can't complain. Great for picking and strumming.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']If i happen to be doing something that requires both hands (finger picking, adjusting a pedal setting, like that) then yeah, I'll hold the pick with my teeth while I'm doing that.
Weird. I just use my lips.
I use my teeth hahah.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dava-Master-Control-Pick?sku=110703

These are incredibly smooth, but they also add a scratch to your tone, so you'll have to turn down the treble a bit.

Nevermind, I see you've already tried them. I modify mine like you wouldn't believe, so I suppose my response to them is a bit different.
Last edited by Vlasco at Feb 10, 2009,
If you've tried the thickest Tortex picks (either 1.15 or 1.18, I think), try Ultexes.
Is it something you can rectify with technique?

Angle your pick forwards so it contacts at a 45 degree angle?

Otherwise, tortex 1.14mm seem to be the smoothest releasing pick I've tried.
Last edited by ljohn at Feb 11, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Read the first two sentences of my post. I file down the side I use for picking. I file it down to a smooth beveled edge so it doesn't get caught in the strings and moves faster. I also just added in the part about how I do the grip just for kicks.
Read my post. I said Ive already used Tortex picks, and Ive re-shaped them to every extent possible and the plactic still grips the strings, I have a strong hand and it leaves grooves in the face of the pick when I play

And to the last poster, pointing your pick down at 45* is actualy bad, it makes upstrokes harder; I angle my pick about 25*-30* up, which makes upstrokes much smoother and gives me a bit of the PG scrape sound, but just enough to make chugging sound more brutal.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Aside from the glass pick the one person posted I'm at a loss for anything smoother than properly rounded nickel.
Ive heard Stainless Steel in much smoother than Nickle, my Dava was great but once I started playing with less tension in my hand I found it gripped the strings a fair bit, so i went to the Stubbies, the rounded contour is nice for smooth sweeps but speedpicking tends to grab at the strings, plus it makes scratchy powerchords harder to get than with a flatpick, Im starting to think Ill just have to find a compromise with one or the other
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by ljohn
Is it somethign you can rectify with technique?

Angle your pick forwards so it contacts at a 45 degree angle?

Otherwise, tortex 1.14mm seem to be the smoothest releasing pick I've tried.

Yeah you make a good point. Picking angle can make the smoothing of the picking go easier or harder.
Quote by Metalfan41

And to the last poster, pointing your pick down at 45* is actualy bad,

Whatever works works mate.

I think mine's closer to 30 degrees, but I don't have a protractor small enough to measure it.
Last edited by ljohn at Feb 11, 2009,
No I meant pointing it down in general is bad, the angle has nothing to do with it really
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
And I repeat, whatever works works.

Have you tried fast alternate picking with the pick face parallel to the strings?

Sounds like ****. Feels like ****.

I'll stick with the angle.

Find something that works and stick with it. Jimi Hendrix played a righ handed guitar the wrong way round. MAB is left handed and forced himself to play right handed guitar (for god knows what reason). Malmsteen scallops his fretboards.

Point is, if you find something you like and it works, stick with it. If it isn't hampering your technique, no one else matters.

I still can't see how regular ol tortex 1.14s catch a string. If you are picking with a flat face, it's because it's a flat face. If you get something like a stylus pick, then it may not stick.
Page 1 of 2