Page 1 of 2
I found a used one on good ole' craigslist, I have played some of the 350dxx and 3rgex. They seem to play pretty well.

The main thing I am asking if it has a good FR on it and the neck.

The other question I have is the pick up. They are the ones that have more than "1" pick up. I am wandering if I can replace it with the strait black EMG like these http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMG81-Humbucking-Active-Guitar-Pickup?sku=301504
The ZR trems on the S series are good quality and smooth if you look after them, and will in most cases last longer than the trems on the RG (non prestige) series.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Hmmm, what do you not like about it? Have you owned any Ibanez' in the past?
Quote by Walmart91
Also can I replace the pick ups with the ones similar to what I posted?

you can but you'll have to make sure ALL of your pickups are active like the one you posted. because it is a real hassle to mix actives and passives on the same guitar. furthermore, you'll have to route out the body to make space for a battery holder and change the pots on your guitar. not worth it if it's only one pickup you'll be replacing

why do you want that pickup btw?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SomebodySomeone
you can but you'll have to make sure ALL of your pickups are active like the one you posted. because it is a real hassle to mix actives and passives on the same guitar. furthermore, you'll have to route out the body to make space for a battery holder and change the pots on your guitar. not worth it if it's only one pickup you'll be replacing

why do you want that pickup btw?

I am not 100% sure what I want to do. I like the look of the the strait black better. I am thinking of replacing with 81 and 85. Can I replace the middle pickup?
buying something because of how cool it looks is the last thing you want to do. if that's the only reason you want EMGs i strongly suggest you reconsider. i think you can buy straight black pickup covers if that's what you're looking for.

you can get a EMG - S. it's a single coil active that you can replace along with the other pickups.

what kind of music do you play? what's your amp? budget?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 9, 2009,
For the guitar I wanted to stay under 400$. The upgrades or other things can come later. That is just the initial cost of the guitar. This guitar is 200$, so I have some extra money to play with. Right now my amp is a Peavey Aud 110. I plan on getting a Peavey Valve-king or something similar. My budget for an amp is 300$. I enjoy playing all types of music but I find myself playing metal, rock, and faster riffs.
$200 for a s470?
really!?!?!?
are you sure there isn't anything wrong with it? neck crack or anything. that's a sweet deal

well if you're into metal then yeah EMG will probably do you some good. but for everything else, they're lacking. try looking into Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios. they have some very versatile pickups.

i recommend saving a bit more for an amp. at the very, very least $600. that'll get you a good quality used amp. if you were mainly a clean, classic rock player i would've recommended my classic 30 i have for sale. but since you play metal, it won't work for you unless you get a pedal, like a metal muff.

BLACK PICKUP COVERS
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I will look into the pick ups, I am not worried to much about them right now. I think I will upgrade them after the amp.

What are some amps that I should be looking into. Used or new. Marshall? Vox? Laney? Peavey?
Quote by Walmart91
I found a used one on good ole' craigslist, I have played some of the 350dxx and 3rgex. They seem to play pretty well.

The main thing I am asking if it has a good FR on it and the neck.

The other question I have is the pick up. They are the ones that have more than "1" pick up. I am wandering if I can replace it with the strait black EMG like these http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMG81-Humbucking-Active-Guitar-Pickup?sku=301504

Neck is a Wizard II neck. Pretty good, quite slim but not as slim as old Wizard necks or the Prestige neck. You may find that having 22 frets annoying (for some that is enough) however.

The trem is a ZR system (Zero Resistance) which works on ball bearings as opposed to knifes edges like most FR systems. They work pretty well since it's ball bearings (less friction to wear away the knife edges which is what makes the Edge III crap) but the arm holder has a tendency to break if you are forceful with it. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

NOTE: If this S470 is older (I think older than 2003?) it may have a LO-TRS trem of sorts. If so, these guitars aren't really worth it.

For more on Ibanez trems, read HERE.

Regarding Pickups

Yes, you can install EMG pickups in a S470. However, there have been a few reports that there is not enough space in the control cavity to fit the battery in, so you might look into this. I'm not 100% sure since I don't own either a S470 or an EMG guitar.

Regarding Amp

Depending on where you are and what you play, amps play an uber huge choice in your tone. If you've got access to a good used community, use it! Amps are expensive and getting used will be the best way to make use of your money.

Look into Peavey 5150 / 6505, ENGL Screamer / Thunder, Marshall JVM, Mesa Single Rect, etc. etc. The GG&A forum is much better for dealing such things.
The ZR is supposedly amazing but my RG plays like absolute butter I love it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
He said he bought it 2 years ago. What should I look for to ensure that I am buying a ZR trem?
Quote by Mwoit

NOTE: If this S470 is older (I think older than 2003?) it may have a LO-TRS trem of sorts. If so, these guitars aren't really worth it.

+1, it's the newer ones which have the ZR (and which are good buys for the money if you need a guitar with a decent locking trem).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an s470, and its the most gorgeous instrument i have ever had grace my fingertips. This thing is silky smooth, fat mahogany tone, strong tuning stability with the ZR bridge, the ONLY gripe i have is the pickups dont do it justice.

Replace these, and theres not much you can do to improve it!
Quote by Walmart91
He said he bought it 2 years ago. What should I look for to ensure that I am buying a ZR trem?

http://www.lawl.net/gtr/trems

look at that link which mwoit already posted- there's a pic of the ZR, and a pic of the lo-trs (from my guitar ). notice how the ZR looks completely different from the lo-trs.

there are better pics of the Lo-Trs here: http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm#trs

EDIT: alternatively just post a pic of the guitar and we'll tell you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mwoit

Regarding Amp

Depending on where you are and what you play, amps play an uber huge choice in your tone. If you've got access to a good used community, use it! Amps are expensive and getting used will be the best way to make use of your money.

Look into Peavey 5150 / 6505, ENGL Screamer / Thunder, Marshall JVM, Mesa Single Rect, etc. etc. The GG&A forum is much better for dealing such things.

If you can find me one of those for under $500 I will buy you dinner let alone for 300.

For $300 there is not a lot of options with metal tube amps, you would probably be best off looking at peavey vypyrs or Roland cubes.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
That'll be the older model, which (if I know correctly) the Lo-Pro Edge trem.
Which is, in many opinions, better than the ZR.
Also, unless they changed the S470 a hella lot when they added the ZR, it's a great guitar, the ZR trem is great if you got one with that, the neck is superb and it feels great, but the sustain is slightly lacking.
Quote by Walmart91
Heres a picture of the guitar, which trem does it have?

it's hard to tell. as far as i know old school S prestige models have the Lo-Pro Edge. but that really looks like a Lo-TRS which i would stay away from. or just buy it and replace the bridge with a Gotoh FR
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
that's a TRS

i don't see the ball bearings so
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Walmart91
It is 2 years old so which generation would that fall under?

seeing as it's not a prestige S, i'm willing to bet it's a Lo-Trs. i'd buy it anyway and replace it with a Gotoh FR .
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
^ it's not always a direct swap, though, that's the problem.

i think we need a better pic. I don't think it's a ZR, but it's hard to tell from that pic if it's a lo-trs or lo pro edge.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definately not a ZR that's for sure, but yeah, TRS or Lo Pro edge, is hard to tell.
I'd edge more towards Lo Pro as I've known them to have lo Pro Edges (the pre ZR 470 that is)
^ yeah, it looks *slightly* more like a lo-pro edge, but it's really hard to tell on the strength of that photo.

i've also seen 470s with lo-trs trems, so you can't be sure based on the model number, that's for sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks like a TRS"crap" more then anything...post a better pic of the Trem close up!
It's a TRS without a question. Not hard to tell at all.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
that is a trs , IT IS GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!
No s470's EVER had a lo pro edge!
if you buy it and expect to use the trem much , you must plan to replace it.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by isan
No s470's EVER had a lo pro edge!
First generation ('93s) did. The 540s had LPs and figured tops, and the 470s had LPs and flat finishes.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
i blame the strange angle the pic was taken at.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i blame the strange angle the pic was taken at.

something tells me there's a reason why it was taken at that angle. he didn't wanna scare off anybody who saw the TRS
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by pifty
First generation ('93s) did. The 540s had LPs and figured tops, and the 470s had LPs and flat finishes.

Damn it , I forgot about those, I even was considering buying one lol
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
is that the blue moon burst or the bright blue burst?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
is that the blue moon burst or the bright blue burst?

blue moon burst,

bright blue is the new color
sweet. looks better than teh stock photos
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I just want to throw in a quick suggestion about pickups, I don't think you'll need EMG's I mean I personally hate them, Not so much that I would never every buy a guitar with emgs in it. I just prefer seymore duncan blackouts (the only other active pickup I know of) but regardless I think the pickups in that guitar look to be the same that are in a rg550, (cause they have v7 and v8 written on them) I love that pickup combo on my rg550 and they sound really sweet to me.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Page 1 of 2