Page 1 of 4
So, me and my fellow guitarist walk into guitar center, hoping to try the newest fine instruments, and what greets us first when we walk in? A STACK OF GUITAR HERO CONTROLLERS, new full-sized ones modelled after BC Riches, and a huge pile of rock band games. And whats behind this wall? The new fender reliced strats....problem here?

So i get over this fact, and walk in further, we grab some nice PRS's, and go to pick out amps. And this is what got me. Every single person there was 13-18 ish, with eiether epiphone les pauls, or sg's. Real original...playing through Line 6 modeler's: guitar hero songs. Now don't get me wrong, theres tons of great stuff on those games, but to walk in and have bullet for my valentine, avenged sevenfold, nirvana, radiohead, weezer, and lynerd skynerd (sp.) chorus's only, mind you, playing over and over! I mean, i was in there like 6 months ago, and it was all guitarists playing dream theater, vaughn, hendrix, alice in chains, tool ect. WTF.

I find this degrading. When announcing myself as a guitarist last year, people reacted "cool!" Now, its more like "Oh" or "Me too i have a squier strat and a line 6 spider III"

/rant over.

comments/experiences

PS: nothing wrong with the above bands, just the fact that they were all the same songs as in rock band/guitar hero
I wish I could go back in time and falcon punch your mother when she was pregnant with you.

Seriously, though. Who gives a crap. They play what they want, they look like putzes. Don't buy into it by going off and ****. Just pick up a guitar and play whatever you play. And btw, don't diss the Roadworn Strat series. Those things are badass. Pointless, yes, but still badass.
Quote by guarana
So, me and my fellow guitarist walk into guitar center, hoping to try the newest fine instruments, and what greets us first when we walk in? A STACK OF GUITAR HERO CONTROLLERS, new full-sized ones modelled after BC Riches, and a huge pile of rock band games. And whats behind this wall? The new fender reliced strats....problem here?

So i get over this fact, and walk in further, we grab some nice PRS's, and go to pick out amps. And this is what got me. Every single person there was 13-18 ish, with eiether epiphone les pauls, or sg's. Real original...playing through Line 6 modeler's: guitar hero songs. Now don't get me wrong, theres tons of great stuff on those games, but to walk in and have bullet for my valentine, avenged sevenfold, nirvana, radiohead, weezer, and lynerd skynerd (sp.) chorus's only, mind you, playing over and over! I mean, i was in there like 6 months ago, and it was all guitarists playing dream theater, vaughn, hendrix, alice in chains, tool ect. WTF.

I find this degrading. When announcing myself as a guitarist last year, people reacted "cool!" Now, its more like "Oh" or "Me too i have a squier strat and a line 6 spider III"

/rant over.

comments/experiences

PS: nothing wrong with the above bands, just the fact that they were all the same songs as in rock band/guitar hero

wow now i see y ppl dont like the spider III
and i have one but not bc of the reason of guitar hero and what not
i didnt even know of guitar once i got my line 6
What can you honestly do?

So what, people are playing through bad amps and are playing overplayed songs.

There is nothing you can do about it.

Just get on with your life and then shred it up to show them what real playing is.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
These threads are getting old. Get the **** over it. At least the kids are playing guitar and not listening to Lil Wayne and acting like some thugs.
i wasn't dissing the roadworn strats, i was saying they had guitar hero boxes set up in front of them. the roadworn's feel great
At least they're playing guitar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I hear ya, man. There used to be like 3 people I knew that played guitar, and now it's risen to about 10 or 11.. It's crazy. 'Cept I still have a Line 6 Spider :'[

Money is tight these days..
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
Quote by guarana
i wasn't dissing the roadworn strats, i was saying they had guitar hero boxes set up in front of them. the roadworn's feel great

That's not the point.

The point is you care about what other people are doing when you should only care about what YOU are doing.
Quote by Spartan101400
I feel you man, it's like everywhere I go it's in bloom or One. Kids need to be educated on what real rock/Mwtal is.

*looks at Spartan's avatar*

uuuhhhhh, lolwut?
sorry for insulting you guys with the spiders =[ over-generalization
Quote by schecter ftw
That's not the point.

The point is you care about what other people are doing when you should only care about what YOU are doing.

Will you marry me?

Best point made all night, btw.

Btw, like many people have said before, it could just be the one near you. Give it a few months and they'll change **** around again to help promote whatever is big at that point in time. Mine's just fine. Besides the usual Wall-o-Guitars, Shelf-o-Amps , and Pillar-o-Boss Pedals, we just have loads of Squier Affinity packages laying around. It's just whatever they happen to be promoting. Suck it up.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 9, 2009,
atleast all this chaos make sit easier to steal stuff.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
why diss all the guitar hero songs, a lot of them really are good, and in bloom, awesome song, yet you insulted it. It's just opinions dude, I love guitar hero, but I love real guitar more, let people pick up an axe and learn all they can do with it, that will happen with everyone.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
These threads are getting old. Get the **** over it. At least the kids are playing guitar and not listening to Lil Wayne and acting like some thugs.

This.
Yeah really. Such a horrible generalization...In the way that some guitarists bitch about what happens at Guitar Center, it really makes me wonder what kind of player you think you are... The arrogance and egotism of guitarists nowadays once again proves itself (and yes, that is a bit of a generalization, but I'm willing to deal with a slice of hypocrisy)
Quote by Shabadoo
*looks at Spartan's avatar*

uuuhhhhh, lolwut?

The only reason my avatar is Metallica is because they didn't have a Megadeth Icon, so I went the next best thing.
Quote by SayAnything
Yeah really. Such a horrible generalization...In the way that some guitarists bitch about what happens at Guitar Center, it really makes me wonder what kind of player you think you are... The arrogance and egotism of guitarists nowadays once again proves itself (and yes, that is a bit of a generalization, but I'm willing to deal with a slice of hypocrisy)

How about a slice of hypocritical pie? Or perhaps cake? Cobbler?
I'll take whatever I can get, but if you're offering...a little bit of everything on a silver plate would be amazing
It bugs me when a 24 year old walks in and just starts to shred for like an hour, just to show off. Other people wanna play on the guitars and amps too.
the GC here actually has an employee like that. He'll recommend **** to you just so he can show off. It's not being a good salesman, so shut the **** up. I know how the good salesmen are at that joint. This guy is just an old dick who has nothing better to do than draw attention to himself.
wow.... there are people playing guitar these days that are playing becuase of something that didn't inspire you to play guitar... wow... people who do things for a different reason...

you sir, are the reason that we have to have Women's and Gender's studies courses in school, who refuse to understand anything different from youself. At least those kids are try and are playing guitar, instead of just getting fat playing guitar hero day in and day out.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Shut the hell up.

Shame on you for shopping at guitar center.

Its like DOCTOR! DOCTOR ! WHY DOES IT HURT WHEN IM CUTTING MY EYE? Then stop cutting your ****ing eye you silly dumb****.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Personally I think it's frigging fantastic for several reasons:

1) despite these kids only knowing this stuff now, at least they ARE picking up ACTUAL guitars instead of just sticking with a D-pad and their XBOX, and these kids will probably one day form bands and come up with some original material, and if you look at yourself first I think you'd probably be less than proud of the first things you learned to play on guitar (no it wasn't the Erotomania solo, and you know it!)

2) From a business perspective, at our store we welcome these converts with open arms, since it translates into both sales for the store of guitars/amps/accessories AND, they usually sign up for lessons at our music school as well. A huge factor that contributed to selling 150 Epiphones in November and December was the amount of parents coming in with their kids "they have played guitar hero, but now they want to actually learn the real thing" and good for them! I wish more kids had been into guitar when I started that I knew instead of wanting to jam and being met with: "no I'm playing Halo this weekend dude."

3) Guitar "playing" isn't, and should not be an elitist cadre of those who look down on the rest of those who sling guitars over their shoulders if they're not playing the most complex/difficult skilled songs there are to play. I myself find more pleasure these days in playing some old CCR or Steppenwolf chords than trying to figure out another of the solos from Change of Seasons. I think you might need to re-evaluate why YOU play guitar first before these 13-18 year olds have cut their teeth and built up their chops.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
These people who constantly rat on these kids for playing guitar hero are starting to bug me. I'll admit, I think Guitar Hero is cool, but it's just a game. I'll even admit I played guitar hero before picking up a real guitar. All it is, is another way for this new generation of kids to good music. At least they're not playing the Soljah Boy riff on their guitars, that'd be horrifying.

I really think you need to stop being such an arrogant prick to people who actually play these games. So what if they like them? All it is, is another media to introduce decent rock music to a younger crowd. What next? Ranting about CoD players not going out and joining the military?

tl;dr?

Shut the F*ck up, it's just a game.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Mosho2
Have you ever played guitar hero? It's awsome

Yeah, I have, and I don't like it destroying the foundations of what guitar playing is really about. I picked a guitar to write and play music that reflects the world around me, the people, the frustration, and life, I didn't pick up a guitar to play Carry on Wayward Son or a crappy guitar driven version of The Devil Went Down To Georgia, Music is about expression, not emulation.
Quote by Spartan101400
Yeah, I have, and I don't like it destroying the foundations of what guitar playing is really about. I picked a guitar to write and play music that reflects the world around me, the people, the frustration, and life, I didn't pick up a guitar to play Carry on Wayward Son or a crappy guitar driven version of The Devil Went Down To Georgia, Music is about expression, not emulation.

Then 90% of the bands are irrelevant according to that statement. I think if you actually read/listened to some interviews....EVERY musician has been "inspired by" and borrowed quite liberally from previous artists/conventions... I don't think I've heard an "original" blues song in a long time other than the time change and perhaps the lyrics of the song itself.

You didn't magically create a style all your own with a few chords you "picked up along the way". Post some of your stuff, I'm sure we can all sit here and pick out your influences and "borrowed" inspiration in a second.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Demon_dave
Then 90% of the bands are irrelevant according to that statement. I think if you actually read/listened to some interviews....EVERY musician has been "inspired by" and borrowed quite liberally from previous artists/conventions... I don't think I've heard an "original" blues song in a long time other than the time change and perhaps the lyrics of the song itself.

You didn't magically create a style all your own with a few chords you "picked up along the way". Post some of your stuff, I'm sure we can all sit here and pick out your influences and "borrowed" inspiration in a second.

I'd be more than happy to if I had the equipment to do so.
Quote by Spartan101400

but can't emulation also be expression? Why... doesn't "Girl From the North Country," mean something to someone other than Dylan when they play it? Maybe when Matt Skiba picked up guitar because of the band Fear, he did it to emulate his heroes, and he created awesome music along the way! Christ, I can't think of a guitarist in the last 50 years that I can't say, "he did that because of another guitarist"
John Mayer - SRV
Jimi - Buddy Guy
John Lennon - Tony Sheriton
Bob Dylan - Woody Guthry
Kurt Cobain - Iggy Pop
the list goes on.

Guitarists are a group of copycats, like it or not. We play because we heard someone before us play that inspired us to play. So what if these kids heard it from a videogame? So what if you heard it on some MP3 you bootlegged? So what if I heard it on my parents old record player? So what if Jimi heard it on an old AM radio? The fact of the matter is that we're playing, not that we heard.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Page 1 of 4