So i've got a MIM fat strat. Got it for $270. First electric.

My problem though, I was watching a video about tom morellos gear, and he was playing Coschise on his soul power strat. He used the neck pickup, and i've even copied his amp settings, but i still cant get that sound. No, im not trying to copy his sound. But my neck pickup with any distortion, sounds horrible. But when i switch to my humbucker, it sounds like the song. For anything accept clean, it sounds HORRIBLE. I have no idea why. How can other people get singles to sound NOTHING like mine.

Any ideas?
Are you talking about the opening? Because I have a feeling he uses the neck pickup for that w/ some slapback delay for the opening. As for the riffs I know he uses some wah and a pitch-shifter. His Soul Power guitar has only single coil pickups, does your strat have a humbucker in the bridge? You also have to remember that he uses a different amp than you do (I'm assuming here) and the amp is what's gonna determine your sound, more than the guitar itself. Why are you worried about it so much anyway? If it sounds better with the bridge pickup, why not just play it that way?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Quinlan
Are you talking about the opening? Because I have a feeling he uses the neck pickup for that w/ some slapback delay for the opening. As for the riffs I know he uses some wah and a pitch-shifter. His Soul Power guitar has only single coil pickups, does your strat have a humbucker in the bridge? You also have to remember that he uses a different amp than you do (I'm assuming here) and the amp is what's gonna determine your sound, more than the guitar itself. Why are you worried about it so much anyway? If it sounds better with the bridge pickup, why not just play it that way?

No on the main riff he uses his neck. And about it soudnign better on bridge just play it... i do. I just want to know how he gets that good sound with the neck. Same with john mayer. I use the bridge pickup to get john mayers bite i guess on the neck pickup. Is it just different pickups or what?
Last edited by NtaPtikab at Feb 9, 2009,
I would imagine. You got your strat used? It may just be from heavy use (if its even used), but typically MIM strats have slightly lower grade pickups than do MIA strats. What amp are you running your guitar through?
Quote by Quinlan
I would imagine. You got your strat used? It may just be from heavy use (if its even used), but typically MIM strats have slightly lower grade pickups than do MIA strats. What amp are you running your guitar through?

Vox AD15Vt. But like john mayers "who did you think i was" i dont get that bite unless im using the humbucker. He uses the neck-midlle.

When i do that its very uh "uncrunchy".

Any ideas for getting more crunch on clean with either pickups?

For a crunchier blues? I have the settings on a clean channel with gain at 7, treble at 8, mids at 6, and bass at 7. It sounds okay
That Vox is a modelling amp. To get the specific sounds you want, you'll have to pick the right modelling channel. Otherwise no matter what your settings are, you won't get the right sound. Like with my (crappy) Spider amp, if I want any rock type sound (short of metal) it pretty much always has to be set at 'crunch'. The clean channel with heavy gain just doesn't cut it.