Is it even worth spending the money to put emg's into my squire? I have a different guitar which new pickups were put into (jb- jazz duncan into rg5ex1) but my squire has just been sitting there. For somereason this squire strat seems much more comfortable than anyone that ive played. Also its wired as HH cause thats how i got it when i first got it as my first guitar. Im wondering should i save up and spend 300 bucks on a prewired set, get a set of emg 81's or save up to get a $400 fender strat and then save up again and replace the stock.
all i have to say is lol
Quote by Julz127
I don't actually use toilet paper, I use sweet chili sauce and sandpaper, cause I'm a man.
i don't see why everyone likes doing squire mods. i have never played one that felt good.
I mean hell, if you like the way it feels I'd swap the pups. But swap the electronics too.

I loved the way my strat felt, so I didn't "upgrade" to a Fender, I just swapped electronics and pups and tuners and such.

Edit:
There are good squiers out there. Although they tend to be older.
I have another hell of a guitar to compare it to. It doens't feel quite as smooth as my PRS, but it still feels great/
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by loudog93
i don't see why everyone likes doing squire mods. i have never played one that felt good.

yeah, i havent played a well made squire yet either
Quote by Skierinanutshel
nah, get some dimebuckers.

then, buy a ds-1 and a phaser and you're set.

wat
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I was just hoping you were trolling
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
crap guitars benefit more from active pickups. if you like the guitar and it's comfortable for you to play then why even ask since the answer should be an obvious yes.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
it was a joke since nobody got the connection.......

jeez, didnt anyone get that?

Yeah, I got it. I thought you might be serious about the Dimebuckers (people have been before) but when I got to the DS-1 part, I cracked up.

I've played tons of Squier strats that have come through my store, and some are pretty good and some bite. I don't like them as much as the MIM strats as a rule simply because of the neck finish. The Squier strats have a very thin, grainy coat on the neck and it feels weird on my thumb. The MIM strats have a much smoother finish on the neck, which I really like.

But when you get down to components, some Squier Strats are fantastic. They have sealed, die-cast tuners (even on the Affinity series nowadays), they have good necks, decent enough fretwork, decent bodies, and are relatively well crafted for the price. I mean, if you want to talk about ****ty guitars, I can go on for days, but you'll rarely hear me mention bad things about Squiers. I installed a killswitch for a kid last night, and his Affinity Strat had full-size pots and great wiring. I was amazed.

EMGs might even be a good choice, since if you like the active pickup sound, you can build the body out of pretty much anything and it won't make any difference.

Quote by Skierinanutshel
no, i am not trolling......

so seriously...nobody remembers that thread? i wasnt even around when it happened and i remember it......

No worries, dude, I chuckled pretty heartily
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Skierinanutshel
it was a joke since nobody got the connection.......

jeez, didnt anyone get that?

That was the BEST trolling I think I've ever seen. That thread was MASSIVE, epic lulz.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Anyone remember the thread in GC&A where the guy made a frontman "stack" by connecting the input jacks with a regular cable? Please find me a link to that if you do..best troll ever
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616948&highlight=dimebucker+tele
Quote by chuckflan333
Anyone remember the thread in GC&A where the guy made a frontman "stack" by connecting the input jacks with a regular cable? Please find me a link to that if you do..best troll ever

As a matter of fact, that is the thread we were talking about.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616948&highlight=dimebucker+tele
As a matter of fact, that is the thread we were talking about.

Oh ****, they're the same thread? Whoa.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
You bet Chuck.

EDIT: Oh ****, I'm a thread pirate. w00t.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 9, 2009,
im about to.....

at the end of the month
ill tell u how it works out though
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
oneblackened.

what was this thread about?

oh, yes. save up for a strat then upgrade the stock pups.

IF I have space, that's sigged.

ONTOPIC: I'd say you should go for the EMG prewired, unless you're good at wiring. there's a lot to be done when wiring a pickguard (pots, switch, jack, shielding to ground, trem ground)
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 9, 2009,
I love the last post in that thread.

"Yeah use the Dimebucker then you'll have the same tone as Dime had on Pantera's 2005 reunion tour!"

Idk why, but I lol'd.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by TomGates
all i have to say is lol
Then don't post.

Quote by MT in Austin
You'd have to make a spot for the battery.
Good point. There is usually room in the control cavity. But depending on the guitar, removing the pickguard to get access to the cavity might be a pain.

Quote by Rattlehead334
Is it even worth spending the money to put emg's into my squire?
I well could be worth it. Is the neck straight and true? Is it comfortable? Is everything else about the guitar satisfactory, or would you have to replace tuners, bridge, nut, etc, before you were happy with it.

My basic rule of thumb. Determine what you need to do except for the pickups to make the guitar a great player. Do that first. If it all works out, then invest in the pickups.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.