Page 1 of 2
I was hanging out with a friend, who said I have narrow music tastes. He told me I only like the Beatles Bob Dylan. I asked him to try and remember real hard when he's been to my house, what music I showed him. That would be Ravi Shankar, Miles Davis, The Smiths, Robert Johnson, Syd Barrett, and the Living End (even once had him listen to Bach ).

He persisted in his reasoning. While I may not listen to the most diverse music range, I didn't think my music taste was narrow.
Quote by Sami Philadelph
Broad music is stuff like Rihanna,Britney Spears,Madonna,and Janet Jackson.

This man knows how to make a play on words.

Also...who cares?
He's probably just trying to be way too non-elitist. According to those clowns, a broad taste in music would mean if you haven't listened to EVERY genre known to man, then you're an elitist, narrow-minded, arrogant prick.
Having a broad taste in music would be listening to many different genres, even the ones you don't like.

In other words, it fucking stupid to put someone down for having a 'narrow' musical taste.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by InvaderTSN
Needs more sweeping.

bach pwns at sweeping on piano.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by jwax
bach pwns at sweeping on piano.

Sweeping on piano is easy. Just open it up and run a pick across the strings.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Sweeping on piano is easy. Just open it up and run a pick across the strings.

Touche Masonpwiley,touche
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by Mudmen190
I listen to Rush. Thats broad.

indeed.

i think by listening to their discography alone you'd pretty much cover almost every musical genre there is.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I mean, I listen everything from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Dying Fetus. Except for emo music. god i hate emo music.
It's rather subjective....... there's a huge qualitative difference from Hank Williams Sr. to Robert Johnson to CCR to AC/DC to Slipknot, all of whom I have in my library.

But, the "quantitative" difference even within, say, Led Zeppelin's discography is very narrow, although the qualitative difference is huge (Kashmir vs. Good Times Bad Times vs. Going to California anyone?).

Meh. I'm rambling and probably not making any sense.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by Waterboy799
indeed.

i think by listening to their discography alone you'd pretty much cover almost every musical genre there is.

even rap on the song roll the bones
"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi Hendrix
Quote by the_sg_blues_07
even rap on the song roll the bones

Classical guitar on The Trees...
Edit: I was just kidding, I don't think listening to Rush gives me a broad taste, although they are a genre diverse band. I listen to lots of rap, jazz, classical, and rock.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Feb 9, 2009,
well IIIIIIII listen to rap music.... and dance music....annnnnndddddd broad music...

sorry
Quote by capsfan17
you think girls are confusing, try eating a refrigirator, now that was confusing
Quote by Myfirstpubes
I mean, I listen everything from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Dying Fetus. Except for emo music. god i hate emo music.

Chances are, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
well having a broad taste in music would mean you listen to jazz, metal, rock, classical, blues, rap, pop, punk, and whatever others there are.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
:p I pop on PE from time to time...

By the 'Rush' Logic, Listening to the Beatles as much as I do should qualify as broad range in music.
There's a difference between playing a genre and being influenced by said genre, ie Rush, etc.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I don't want to make this into an arguement, but the Beatles were influenced by alot of genres. Like Run For Your Life throws in Classic Pop, Blues and a bit of western influence seamlessly. Same goes with I've Just Seen a Face, it sounds like a normal country inspired-pop song, but there is prominent blues influence upon a closer listen.
Quote by My Playlist
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Live, Incubus, Green Day, Janes Addiction, The Wallflowers, Stone Temple Pilots, U2, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, Rage Against The Machine, The Who, The Flaming Lips, R.E.M, The Stone Roses, Muse, Radiohead, The Presidents of the United States of America, The Screaming Trees, Candlebox, Silverchair, Mad Season, Matchbox 20, Bush, Lifehouse, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Morrissy

Being able to have those bands on a playlist, and think "These bands sound really good together"
I listen to everything. If its got a solid beat and I can just sit and listen to it. I'm good.
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
Quote by Waterboy799
indeed.

I never heard the Rush song that incorporated Avant-Garde Trombone Eletro-influenced Jazzical Revival.

And, TS, your tastes are pretty narrow, in a sense. They definitely aren't amazingly diverse.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
I never heard the Rush song that incorporated Avant-Garde Trombone Eletro-influenced Jazzical Revival.

but they have!

you just don't know it yet

anyway, disregarding the whole Rush thing, here are my itunes genres

Alternative
Classical
Death Metal
Greek Rock
Hard Rock
Hardcore
Hip Hop/rap
Instrumental (if...that's even considered a genre)
Jazz
Metal (lots of it)
Metalcore
Pop
R&B
Rock (lots of it)
Shred (lots of it)
Video Game Soundtrack (Halo bitches!)
Thrash
World (it's Jake Shimabukuro, he's a uke player...mostly instrumental music)

and yea.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Feb 9, 2009,
Prog metal to math metal.

But seriously, having a diverse taste in music doesn't mean much. Many people diversify their music collection at the expense of really knowing any one musical culture. It's better to pick your preference and study it. Don't listen to any asshat who rags on your narrow taste in music. They don't know shit.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by crazy8rgood
Being able to have those bands on a playlist, and think "These bands sound really good together"

They're all like Modern/Classic/Alternative Rock. That's not very broad.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by InvaderTSN
Jazzical? Sounds about as real as bluescore.

Don't ask me.

duncang made it up.

He was mocking me for using the term "metalgaze" in the metal forum once.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Indian classical doesn't have guitars in it.

Also, The Smiths do, in fact, rock
I listen to Hardcore, Indie, Emo, Punk, Black metal, Death Metal, metalcore, hiphop, funk, classical, and basically any genre in between that doesnt suck.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Page 1 of 2