I happen to believe that we all copy and reproduce music to fit in with the current generation of musicians. However does anyone else think that we've slowed down of late and that music is constantly looking backwards without actually creating anything new.

I know the pop charts have always had the same basic formula but after listening to "Little Boots" The UK's winner of sound of 2009 I can't help but think that we aren't progressing and that if we are, nobody is hearing about it.

Little Boots- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KqYjYh5g3E

to me that sounds like something of the early 00's particularly Kylie.

*Disclaimer*-wiggy1988 accepts the fact that he may be acting like a complete and total tool but asks for opinion regardless
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
The Pop and Hip Hop industry are to recycling music as Al Gore is to Global Warming.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Black Sabbath already wrote every cool riff...everyone else just rips 'em off.

Quote by ScottElwood
The Pop and Hip Hop industry are to recycling music as Al Gore is to Global Warming.

good analogy

Quote by goest

Keep up the sarcasm. You may eventually discover wit
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Feb 9, 2009,
Allow me to quote Dr. Solomon
"Every word of this book has already been published! Have you never read... THE DICTIONARY?"
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by goest

this.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Because Pop is just short for popular, I will make a metal/funk hybrid that will be pop. Wish me luck.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Karvid
Allow me to quote Dr. Solomon
"Every word of this book has already been published! Have you never read... THE DICTIONARY?"

then how come we have to keep updating the dictionary?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988
then how come we have to keep updating the dictionary?

Words take new meanings sometimes, so the definitions must get updated.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I mean, I'm sure that there's groundbreaking-ish music out there, developing somewhere, but sadly due to the public's attention span (short) and tastes (pop and hip-hop for the most part, I don't think this sort of music will rear its head anytime soon.

But who knows, people said we were running out in the late fifties, early sixties. And boom, look at all of the bands that sprouted from the mid to late sixties.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by Froboarder
Words take new meanings sometimes, so the definitions must get updated.

or new words are created.

actually come to think about it the Dictionary bares alot of similarities with Pop music.
Both have basic rules binding them, but both are able to evolve given the right circumstance.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by ToastYerLicks
I mean, I'm sure that there's groundbreaking-ish music out there, developing somewhere, but sadly due to the public's attention span (short) and tastes (pop and hip-hop for the most part, I don't think this sort of music will rear its head anytime soon.

But who knows, people said we were running out in the late fifties, early sixties. And boom, look at all of the bands that sprouted from the mid to late sixties.

I've always wondered
Why does the general public have such a short attention span and such a generic taste in music?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
modern music has been evolving since gospels hymns which became soul music which became jazz then rock then blah blah blah. almost everything is a soul derivative. i don't think we've "slowed down", in fact music took a fuckload of forms throughout the 20th century. and now with the spread of information it's become incredibly easy to distribute music (take that as you will). there's a fair share of really shitty and by that extent musically stagnant artists, but i swear if you look in the right places you'll find innovation. it's all out there.

the problem is corporations trying to make a dollar off of "What's Hot". that's for another thread though.
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Feb 9, 2009,
Yes that can be said, but also there was a mountain of artists in the 60's and 70s were looking to old blues artists from the 20s and 30s so that kinda stuff has always been going on in popular music
Rush Fan Club member # 10
Seinfeld Fan Club member #7
Quote by Karvid
I've always wondered
Why does the general public have such a short attention span and such a generic taste in music?

I reckon its because of the lifestyle.

Originally, you bought a vinyl and listened to it at home *really listened to it* nowadays, we have music on the go and we want a quick kick from music while we walk to the shops rather than sitting back and listening to Ziggy Stardust all the way through

but thats my theory. Modern music pop is designed to give a quick fix.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by Froboarder
Because Pop is just short for popular, I will make a metal/funk hybrid that will be pop. Wish me luck.

I actually already have a funk metal song written... sorry bud. As for this thread's topic, pop music is generally recycled garbage. Not always, but mostly. There are still plenty of original artists out there, they're just not recognized as they should be.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Karvid
I've always wondered

Thats easy

The general public are morons.

EDIT: And if you want proof music is not slowing down, look up "Loose Ground" on youtube, they're like The Doors meets Soundgarden... ****ing amazing band, pitty they're unsigned...
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by wiggy1988
good analogy

Keep up the sarcasm. You may eventually discover wit

Oh, my lad, you don't even know.

Seriously, it's common knowledge that riffs and musical ideas are being recycled. There's just some that are better at doing it then others.

And yes, that was a quote from Rob Zombie...throwing that out there...
Quote by heartbreaker101
Yes that can be said, but also there was a mountain of artists in the 60's and 70s were looking to old blues artists from the 20s and 30s so that kinda stuff has always been going on in popular music

Oh I agree there, its just I've always felt that music has evolved. And yet we seem to be getting increasingly stagnent.

But again, that could just be me
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by Karvid
I've always wondered

I don't know, really. I mean, nowadays (BS THEORY ALERT BEEP BEEP) with the advent of the internet, people are used to getting things "now." I guess it follows that they like things that are more accesible (not necessarily more simple, just more relevent to their lives). People just don't dig things that are too weird/complex/long because it doesn't apply to them.
Oh, if only the radio would play more 10 minute prog-psychedelic excursions into the depths of space.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by goest
Oh, my lad, you don't even know.

Seriously, it's common knowledge that riffs and musical ideas are being recycled. There's just some that are better at doing it then others.

And yes, that was a quote from Rob Zombie...throwing that out there...

I know they're being recycled, but I would have expected some evolution.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

thousands of years ago, some bloke hit a rock with a stick and we've all copied off him.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
I actually already have a funk metal song written... sorry bud. As for this thread's topic, pop music is generally recycled garbage. Not always, but mostly. There are still plenty of original artists out there, they're just not recognized as they should be.

Oh, but is it pop? >.>
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Froboarder
Oh, but is it pop? >.>

Funk/Metal pop...I dream of the day
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988

Make it happen, m'boy.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Froboarder
Make it happen, m'boy.

good man yourself
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988

Thats kinda how I view RHCP.... but less extreme.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by ScottElwood
Thats kinda how I view RHCP.... but less extreme.

Faith No More was more funk metal... probably
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
Faith No More was more funk metal... probably

Ooh, thanks for mentioning that, I`ll go check it out. =)
Quote by angus fan16