just wondering your guys thoughts on the peavey windsor 120 watt head and cab...

i've had one for about a year now... any opinions are welcome! =)
well...if you have had one for the past year...do YOU like it?
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
ha yeah i guess.

well i love it i rekon i'll need to get a decent compression pedal to get the best out of it though... and i got it for about $900 aus off ebay so yeah fairly cheap.. =)
aww not fair! lol.

i'm planning to buy a new ibanez RG or S model for my birthday on music123.com... american site it'll work out alot cheaper i think!
=)
Quote by condor_pwnage
aww not fair! lol.

i'm planning to buy a new ibanez RG or S model for my birthday on music123.com... american site it'll work out alot cheaper i think!
=)

Shipping might kill though.
yeah that's why i'm guna wait abit see how the currency goes...

but anyways another question i wanted to ask.. my amp(the peavey) when i'm not playing makes a very loud white noise sound... probably a n00b question but would compression stop that?
I don't know about the source of the noise, but a compressor would not stop it. Maybe something like an ISP Decimator would though. Could be a grounding issue, the wall outlet.
Quote by MegadethFan
I don't know about the source of the noise, but a compressor would not stop it. Maybe something like an ISP Decimator would though. Could be a grounding issue, the wall outlet.

wow... never ehard of that before... is that a pedal? i use a boss metalcore pedal through it... i'll just have to mess around to find the right sound cause it's been changed like a million times lol.
Might be if you leave the metal core pedal on and just not play, its probably just a noisy pedal.
I absolutely love my Windsor, however the Peavey cab made for it isn't exactly the best thing ever. I have a 100W Weber 2x12 with Weber Signatures in it and it sounds like a dream.

I only use a microphone tube preamp with a 20db gain switch flipped on for my Windsor, sometimes I run a 7 band through the FX loops. Either way, it sounds pretty tough.

I highly recommend getting an Ibanez, I have a S520EX and the other guitarist in my band has a S620EXQM and they're both amazing guitars. I used to have a RG350 (not for sure) and it was good but my S blew it away. The ZR tremolo is absolutely killer.

What kind of music do you play? I'm assuming metalcore?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by condor_pwnage
i use a boss metalcore pedal through it...

That's your problem. Stop using it, it's a crappy pedal.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Unskathed
I absolutely love my Windsor, however the Peavey cab made for it isn't exactly the best thing ever.

Yeah the cab leaves a lot to be desired...especially in the low end. However, they're great amps. Very good classic rock tone stock, I use a Metal Muff and an MXR 10-band EQ and metalcore tones are easily obtained.
Quote by Yngwi3

Normally I'd get pissed and call you an elitist, narrow-minded f*ck, but I just had this argument with someone else in another thread so I'm going to shut up and leave it.

TS, does it happen when the pedal is on only, or all the time?
Quote by eyebanez333
Yeah the cab leaves a lot to be desired...especially in the low end. However, they're great amps. Very good classic rock tone stock, I use a Metal Muff and an MXR 10-band EQ and metalcore tones are easily obtained.

Into the high gain or low gain input!? I'd honestly say an actual distortion pedal is over kill, but I guess through the low gain input it wouldn't be that bad. I have my preamp at 1/4 input and 1/4 output plus the gain switch. lol.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed
Into the high gain or low gain input!? I'd honestly say an actual distortion pedal is over kill, but I guess through the low gain input it wouldn't be that bad. I have my preamp at 1/4 input and 1/4 output plus the gain switch. lol.

I don't see how you could get a metalcore sound out of it without a boost of somekind. Classic rock, definitely. I use the low gain, with the boost button pushed.
Quote by eyebanez333
I don't see how you could get a metalcore sound out of it without a boost of somekind. Classic rock, definitely. I use the low gain, with the boost button pushed.

I mean on the seperate preamp I use.
On the actual amp I use the high gain input and the gain dimed.

I can't even begin to tell you how I love this amp. I've answered this on just about every thread where the Windsor is concerned. This was marketed as a JCM800 without the hefty price tag.

And yes, currently musiciansfriend.com has the half stack for $400.

I almost bought it, but I'll own it someday.

The stock speakers will serve you fine, but upgrading it later to Celestion Heritage 30's will make this sound like a beast.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Normally I'd get pissed and call you an elitist, narrow-minded f*ck, but I just had this argument with someone else in another thread so I'm going to shut up and leave it.

TS, does it happen when the pedal is on only, or all the time?

hey mate, it happens all the time..
Quote by Yngwi3

what's wrong with the metalcore?... i rekon it's an excellent pedal
Quote by slickerthnsleek
^ Quick, prepare your flameshield.

+3,14159

BOSS distortions are bashed all the time here... There's a lot of BOSS haters who don't allow anyone to like them.

Quote by condor_pwnage
what's wrong with the metalcore?... i rekon it's an excellent pedal

Btw, Metal Core = 5 stars
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by AiC75
I can't even begin to tell you how I love this amp. I've answered this on just about every thread where the Windsor is concerned. This was marketed as a JCM800 without the hefty price tag.

And yes, currently musiciansfriend.com has the half stack for $400.

I almost bought it, but I'll own it someday.

The stock speakers will serve you fine, but upgrading it later to Celestion Heritage 30's will make this sound like a beast.

I ordered mine last Satuday and it was supposed to be here Monday but I got an email saying GC shipped it out yesterday. I really hate GC right now but I guess it will get here when it gets here. I actually haven't tried it but I figure $400 for an all tube half stack is a win win either way you swing it. I mean, the MG goes for like $600 doesn't it? So yeah, no opinion yet but I'll let you know when it comes in.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I ordered mine last Satuday and it was supposed to be here Monday but I got an email saying GC shipped it out yesterday. I really hate GC right now but I guess it will get here when it gets here. I actually haven't tried it but I figure $400 for an all tube half stack is a win win either way you swing it. I mean, the MG goes for like $600 doesn't it? So yeah, no opinion yet but I'll let you know when it comes in.

The Windsor is definitely better than the MG...I have both heads even though my MG is now my backup (not even going to bother trying to sell it). I agree about the gear hating on here though. I mean the MG isn't a great amp, but I don't think its as terrible as some people make it out to be. A bit overpriced, sure. But there are worse sounding amps out there. The same goes for Boss pedals. I'm not a huge fan, but some of them sound decent and have their place in an effect rig.
Quote by eyebanez333
The Windsor is definitely better than the MG...I have both heads even though my MG is now my backup (not even going to bother trying to sell it). I agree about the gear hating on here though. I mean the MG isn't a great amp, but I don't think its as terrible as some people make it out to be. A bit overpriced, sure. But there are worse sounding amps out there. The same goes for Boss pedals. I'm not a huge fan, but some of them sound decent and have their place in an effect rig.

Yeah, you can't really bash the MG too much as a practice amp for beginners (even though there are many better amps in the range), but the higher-wattage versions are just pointless.

As far as the Boss Pedals go, they certainly make some good ones...their time based effects are nice, and I like the compression pedal, but most of their distortions just don't sound that great without modification. The metal pedals in particular fall into this trap because they try to get maximum gain and br00t4lz out of a cheap package. Noise and poor tone result.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Yeah, you can't really bash the MG too much as a practice amp for beginners (even though there are many better amps in the range), but the higher-wattage versions are just pointless.

As far as the Boss Pedals go, they certainly make some good ones...their time based effects are nice, and I like the compression pedal, but most of their distortions just don't sound that great without modification. The metal pedals in particular fall into this trap because they try to get maximum gain and br00t4lz out of a cheap package. Noise and poor tone result.

Pretty much any beginner SS practice amp but the Cube get's bashed around here but honestly, people don't really realize that beginners don't really need a whole lot of amp. Once you've been playing for a while and have a better idea of what you want then you can upgrade. No sense in shelling out a whole lot of money for something and then realize you want something else.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.