I am planning on buying myself a set of EMG pickups for my Washburn guitar that I am rebuilding and I'm unsure of the differences between the EMG SA and the EMG S pickups. I play progressive metal and I'm going to buy either the EMG 81/S/S set or the EMG 81/SA/SA set. Can someone please explain the difference? Anything will help out, and sorry for being a little bit vague, I'll provide more information if needed.

Thanks!
-Billy

ahhhhh i love teh doggehh......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
That dog is so gonna be sent to the land of banned memes, where it will frolic with rick astley and the pear for the rest of it's days

UR hit it on the head.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ oh.... crap i forgot the rules of the kitteh and doggeh.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
One is ceramic and one is Alnico, I really doubt they'll sound all that different.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
the alnico V will be a bit spongier and warmer than the ceramic, which is more powerful and tight. both will have high output though.

^ yeah, the difference isn't night and day, but after playing each for a while, the feel is really noticeable.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Feb 9, 2009,
The S has more of a bright sparkly sound, much like a vintage tele, the SA resembles more of a strat sound. I use an S in the neck and SA in the middle. They are both sweet sounding and very quiet. Whatever you choose it will be a great setup, the best active combo I can think of is 81tw-SA-S IMO. I don't think they make a set like that but they should.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 9, 2009,
welcome
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by alreadythere530
hmm, I might try out that setup now that I think about it
the S/SA/81

ty Tempoe

Your welcome. You will love it. The 81tw also works as a single. It just came out after I got my 81 or I would have got that as well. Apparently as a humbucker it sounds identical to the 81.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 9, 2009,
Get the SA and keep it in the neck.

I know its a far off comparison, but its similar to the neck pickup you'd find in a telecaster these days, just with more output and higher treble response.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel