hey all, i've got a vtm60 which i love, but it sometimes seems to have a harsh high end. right now i'm running all mesa tubes (rebranded, i know). could different tubes help me get a more tamed high end? i've also been considering getting a dano fish 'n chips, just to keep in the loop. any other recommendations are welcome. and stratman, if you see this, it shouldn't scare you away from that vtm60 on ebay! thanks a bunch!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Feb 9, 2009,
Are the speakers broken in? What kind are they? Have you just tried rolling off the tone on your guitar or turning the treble (or presence if it has a presence control) down? If none of that works maybe try some a JJ 12AX7 in V1 or V2, should darken your amp a bit, maybe get some JJ power tubes, in my experience all their power tubes are good (not a huge fan of their preamp tubes)
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
speakers are the celestion g12-75's. i'm not sure if they're broken in or not, but i do play loud quite often. if i turn the presence down, it starts to lose clarity. i've also thought about getting a bad monkey and running it all the time with no gain and the treble knob turned up a bit.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Hmm, try this, on the grill cloth of the cab, put a few pieces of duct tape right over the cone of each speaker, that'll diffuse some of the higher end. I had to do that with my F30 when it had a new speaker, it actually works pretty well.
thanks, i'll definitely try the tape trick. do you know any preamp tubes that are higher gain than the average?
main rig:

Quote by necrosis1193
12AX7s are the highest gain, each one will vary a bit but none of them are substantially different. JJ sells "high gain" 12AX7s, but they really aren't much higher, not enough to notice.
Are you hearing this "harsh high end" while playing the amp alone or with a band?
I only ask because I find players can be overly concerned about too much, or harsh high end. Sometimes while alone and dissecting your tone a player can be too critical of certain freq's. Like rolling back the highs too much or adding too much bass.
Then in a live jam setting with other instruments they have a hard time cutting through or have a muffled muddy tone.
I like having a fairly bright tone complimented with an even amount of tight bass response. I can always hear myself in a live setting too as a result.
But there is a fine line between bright and harsh or shrill.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i haven't used it in a band setting in awhile, so that might be the reason. i'll have to get some guys together soon and jam.
main rig:

Quote by necrosis1193