Sorry if this has been done, or is a stupid question. But when making a cable what can be used for the cable portion, I read that someone used an extension cord, is this possible? What would the quality be like?
heavy gauge extension cord can be used for speaker cable but not as an instrument cable.

for an instrument cable, you need shielded wire.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Why don't you just buy one? It'd probably be more expensive and time consuming in the end to make one yourself.
Quote by timbit2006
Why don't you just buy one? It'd probably be more expensive and time consuming in the end to make one yourself.
Have you seen the price of premium cables? Buying good quality connectors from Switchcraft or Neutrik and low capacitance cable will get you a great cable for much cheaper than buying a pre-made premium cable.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
you can buy bulk wire from a few places on the net, and just about any guitarist-buddy you have probably has one or two old broken patch cords lying around.
usually the fault is just in the connection between the wire and plug, which is a super easy fix. if theres a fault in the wire itself, you can usually salvage the plug connectors, and most of the wire.

and also: holy crap, I havent seen SYK in so long!