i'm learning Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers and that has lots of barring in it other songs i play do to but I've been playing for almost 8 months now and starting to developing pains in my joint and or my skin when playing barre chords and cant get the G and D string to speak sometimes.

Is this natural for a guitar player? the pains and the muted strings
yes.
keep on truckin'.
███████████████████████████████████
That simply means that your hands aren't quite strong enough yet. I noticed this too when I first started playing. But another problem could simply be the fact that John Frusciante plays barre chords with his thumbs. Especially during the "bridge-outro" part of that song.

its easier to play rhcp with your thumb cause that allows your fingers to move around easily all over the fretboard. Hence why so much happens in Under the Bridge, guitarwise.

Not sure if this helps at all, but working the technique might make playing the song easier.
Quote by fenderrocks412
That simply means that your hands aren't quite strong enough yet. I noticed this too when I first started playing. But another problem could simply be the fact that John Frusciante plays barre chords with his thumbs. Especially during the "bridge-outro" part of that song.

I agree with using your thumb when barring chords, it can give your hand a rest sometimes. However I don't ever use my thumb when playing the bridge-outro to Under the Bridge - I was under the impression that it's played completely on the four higher strings of the guitar, no use for barres or thumb.

How do you play it?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A major -> C major -> G major -> F major (last time -> A major)

The outro to under the bridge, you can even power chord it if you wanted to, but realistically, john plays it on the top four strings.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I saw the guitar lesson that Frusciante gave a while ago for guitar world? I think.

but yeah he shows exactly how he plays it and Im pretty sure he plays the full chord. But when he plays the G Major, the B and E strings are open at first then he uses his index finger to play the whole chord.

its like this...and then...

--0-----------3--
--0-----------3--
--4-----------4--
--5-----------5--
--5-----------5--
--3-----------3--

and he does the same with the Fmajor chord.

the rhythm takes some getting used to but that's how he plays it.

so its like A, Amin, Gmaj and Fmaj, but when he plays the Gmaj and Fmaj, he plays the open strings. Not sure if that makes sense but thats how I play it.
Last edited by fenderrocks412 at Feb 10, 2009,