For a while know I've made a habit of leaving my computer on during the night 24/7 because when i come back from school I'm too lazy to go through the process of opening it...lol

Yeah Anyways, my question is, is it bad for the computer to keep it on during the night?
Should I start shutting it?
yes
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
You should probably shut it down at night.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
There is a debate that has been going on for ages, the simple answer is both.

The first side of the argument is that computers work better when hot. Therefore by leaving your computer on it will help with speed at the beginning of your session.

The second side is that a computer can get dusty, and it needs time to take a break from all the wear and tear. Therefore by shutting it down you get better long term performance.

My opinion is to tell your computer to sleep after a certain amount of hours. I have mine set to around 3 hours of inactivity, after then it will put my computer to sleep and it will turn my monitor off. This means that it will still be working if I happen to come back to it after a short period of time, but if I fall asleep it will shut off completely.

Edit: A little note about sleep mode: it will completely shut down the computer, but is saves your session onto the RAM so that when you come back, it is as if you didn't leave.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Last edited by ScottElwood at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by Spoony_Bard
You should probably shut it down at night.

Agreed
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I only turn mine off if I go on away for a period of more than two days. Lasted me three years so far.
Well, if you want, you can just set it to sleep and keep it that way for about a week. Then at the end of that week you turn it off for a night and so on and so on.
UG Republican

Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.

Quote by xyz66
YES!!!

And I enjoy Katy Perry's music.

I swear to god nobody better sig this or else imma kill them
no it is not. i recently saw a thread exactly like this on demonoid forum. Just as long as your thermal paste on your CPU is good and refreshed and your computer is in a well ventilated place, it should be fine.
Well besides the extra money paid in electricity no
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by ScottElwood

The first side of the argument is that computers work better when hot. Therefore by leaving your computer on it will help with speed at the beginning of your session.

false. electricity flows through a cold wire better than a hot one. thats why there are fans in your computer and amps.
yeah thats what the guys on demonoid said would be getting a beating. your electricity bill.
I heard that shutting it down a lot is bad for the computer.

But I usually just put it on sleep
Quote by convictionless
no it is not. i recently saw a thread exactly like this on demonoid forum. Just as long as your thermal paste on your CPU is good and refreshed and your computer is in a well ventilated place, it should be fine.

What the f*ck is thermal paste...
I used to keep it on 24/7 but I started shutting it off for power. I shut it off before I go to bed and I use it in the morning before school, I shut it off before I go to school then keep it on after school.
Quote by devilzdj4
What the f*ck is thermal paste...

Paste that sits between the heatsink and the CPU to better conduct the heat.

I leave mine on 24/7. Though it does turn the screen off after a while, and will turn the hard disks off after inactivity.
Quote by ScottElwood
There is a debate that has been going on for ages, the simple answer is both.

The second side is that a computer can get dusty, and it needs time to take a break from all the wear and tear. Therefore by shutting it down you get better long term performance.

My opinion is to tell your computer to sleep after a certain amount of hours. I have mine set to around 3 hours of inactivity, after then it will put my computer to sleep and it will turn my monitor off. This means that it will still be working if I happen to come back to it after a short period of time, but if I fall asleep it will shut off completely.

Edit: A little note about sleep mode: it will completely shut down the computer, but is saves your session onto the RAM so that when you come back, it is as if you didn't leave.

i've never done this, but perhaps i should start doing so.