Earlier today I fixed a friend's '83 Squier Strat (SSS). For years it's only worked on the neck pickup in the number 2 position. He thought the selector switch was bad. I said bring it over and I'd have a look.

He brought it over last week and I had a look last night. Immediately I found he had a dead middle pickup with a thin copper winding wire hanging out. Looking at the wiring schematic the switch was wired opposite of the side it should've been. What's really scary is that it looks factory.

I fixed the wiring, replaced the dead pickup. Everything works but there is a significant volume drop from 1/3/5 when I switch to the number 2 and 4 positions. Any thoughts?
2 and 4 should be quieter, it's just the way single coils work. You get the sort of quacky dull tone in 2 and 4, 1, 3 and 5 are nice, sharp single coil tones.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Invader Jim
Can you get pics of the guts?

Are you sure the pup was dead or was the coil wire soldered to an eyelet? Did you measure it with a DMM?

The coil wire was hanging loose and it did not work in the number 3 position. I checked.

I don't have the guitar with me nor do I have any pics of the insides. I have an AMM but I'm unsure what to look for.
Solder a wire to the tip of that coil wire. I CANNOT stress enough how CAREFUL you have to be with this.

When you get that done, set the AMM to ohms (around 20k) and measure across the pup's lead wires. If you get nothing or the meter swings off-scale, it's a dead pup.

Otherwise it should read around 3k to 6k.

If it's dead, I wanna buy it from you.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 10, 2009,
Invader, in case you didn't spot it, that pick up'll need at least a partial rewrap. The hanging wire is supposed to be hooked up to the eyelet. Though, knowing you, you have some grand master plan.
Quote by Invader Jim
Partial rewrap? Wuh?

correct me if I'm wrong, but: the wire coming out of the pickup is not intended to go to the eyelet, it's a wire from the pickup, just clean broke off the back, right? There's still the two wires running to the eyelets, wouldn't that require a partial or complete rewrap?
Quote by strummin67
Update:
swapped the pickup wires. That did the trick. Thanks guys.

you mean you ran that loose cable to the eyelet? I'm curious as to what that did to the tone and how much coiling was lost to that.
Quote by Thomme
you mean you ran that loose cable to the eyelet? I'm curious as to what that did to the tone and how much coiling was lost to that.

i'm guessing he means he swapped polarity on the replacement pickup he installed for the middle, not on the damaged one you see in the pic.

apparently the replacement middle pickup was out of phase with the bridge and neck. that would cause the "significant" volume drop he reported, not a slight one from having pickups in parallel.

at least that's my story, and i'm sticking to it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.