I finally got my 5150 today and I am excited, it basically oozes auditory sex. Such a heavy ****ing amp!

But yeah, I had a question: How loud is a 5150 supposed to be?

I'm running one through a 2x12 Mesa Cab and I can reasonably play it at 3 in my room. You can hear it downstairs and outside and it vibrates the floor substantially but somehow I feel like it should be louder. Don't get me wrong, I hear that the tubes open up around 3, so I want to be able to get the tubes running as hot as I can. I just wonder if the tubes are dying or something, as they are kind of old. However, I have an assload of gain, so I am not sure if that would be the problem. (I'm playing death metal at 6-6.5 on the pre and 3 on the post).

So yeah, how loud should it be at 3? Deafening, or reasonable? I'm not too worried, but If I retube it will it become ungodly loud? Or is this what its supposed to be? It's not like by any means quiet, theres no way you can talk over it without yelling, but I just want to make sure. Thanks (sorry for the confusing question )

And yes, this amp is ****ing awesome, I love the tone and the heaviness.
There's only one way to find out: dime the volume and gain (use earplugs*).

*your neighbors too
That sounds about right, your ears are ringing after wards? I would not suggest doing that for sustained periods of time without ear protection, you are seriously damaging your ears at those volumes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
How old is it? If 3 doesn't bother you, then it doesn't really matter, but the amp will get loud as flip if you want it to.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
It doesn't leave my ears ringing, but I have a feeling its supposed to. I am quite okay with it, I mean its loud but not more than I can handle.

And its a few years old (I bought it used) and hasn't had a tube change, but I didn't want to bother re tubing it until something died. If a tube did die, will it have any adverse affects other than volume?
My 5150 combo lives on about 0.5 for bedroom levels...

dum dee dum....
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
well i bet its because of the size of the room
i used to think that my boogie wasn't that loud (50watts tube though!) when i was playing in my room
but i got the chance to play in a nice big auditorium and on 1/3 volume was drowning out hte drummer
room ambience does alot to the sound
try it outside (unless its still wintery wherever you are)
Eh, that sounds quite right. My combo wasn't loud enough to get over a drummer until it was at like 5.

I crank my rack setup to about 12 o'clock for "bedroom practicing"
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well if your amp is abnormally quiet for no harmful reasons to the amp you should be happy. Cranking it louder gives you a much better tone.
Gear:

Les Paul Standard
Triple XXX with Marshall 1960B Cab
V-amp 2
Digitech WH-4
Ibanez WD7
i feel like my xxx 120w isnt very loud through a 212..... i think it may be because of the 212 being on the floor. i put my amp like 5.... and my ears dont ring
anybody know why?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by blakkin
It doesn't leave my ears ringing, but I have a feeling its supposed to. I am quite okay with it, I mean its loud but not more than I can handle.

And its a few years old (I bought it used) and hasn't had a tube change, but I didn't want to bother re tubing it until something died. If a tube did die, will it have any adverse affects other than volume?

Yes you can blow resistors on the power tubes which will startle the **** out of you.

Power tubes are usually responsible for volume loss. Keep in mind playing in a room with carpet is different than playing in a room with wood/concrete floors.

My 50watt fender amp is pretty loud in my living room but in a bar I got to turn it down almost half the volume I would in my living room. Its absolutly an ear killer in a average sized bar its louder than my drummer is unless I turn it down half way to 3 or 4 or cut the eq level a few dbs.
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Last edited by SlashWannabe1 at Feb 9, 2009,
I've only turned mine to 3 (with gain at around 6-7) once. I think I experienced acoustic shock (i think), It was like COD when a grenade goes off by you, but since I'm such a badass, I played through it. I had a killer headache afterward, too. But then again, I was playing with a loud drummer and another guitarist in a small room, so depending on how big your room is, and how bad your hearing is, it might be about right.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Okay. See, I am glad I am able to crank it farther, but If it is impeding the performance of the amp I feel like I should maybe retube it or something. The room is carpeted, and if its just the environment which is making it quiet its all good. I just hope it doesn't become insanely loud after I retube it, otherwise I'll need to get my hands on one of those Weber Attenuators.
Well, a half stack shouldn't be for practicing anyway, now should it?
Nonetheless, it sounds about right. My Classic 30 sits at about 2 and it's still bearable if that helps at all. It probably doesn't.
The carpet could explain it, what size is the room? I still suggest ear plugs, even if it isn't causing you pain it is causing damage. I don't care what it feels like to you, if it can be heard outside and is causing the floor to shake you have it turned up very loud. I've set my amp up to what I'd call comfortably loud and had my friends say it was killing them. Your a musician, your hearing is one of your most valuable tools, protect it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Also keep in mind that your cab ohm rating fits your amp!

If your amp is set for 4 ohms and you stick a 8ohm 2x12 cab with it it will sound soft. if you make the 2x12 wired for 4 ohm it will be much louder so check your amp and cab/speaker ohm ratings.
I have a pack of ear plugs, so I'll stick them in. When I say the floor is shaking, I mean you can feel the vibrations in your feet, not like its about to break haha. But ear plugs make things sound lame to me, but hearing is more important, so I'll stick em in. As far as I can tell I still have all my gain so I guess even if its a bit quiet, I should still be getting the full tone out of the amp right?
Quote by blakkin
I have a pack of ear plugs, so I'll stick them in. When I say the floor is shaking, I mean you can feel the vibrations in your feet, not like its about to break haha. But ear plugs make things sound lame to me, but hearing is more important, so I'll stick em in. As far as I can tell I still have all my gain so I guess even if its a bit quiet, I should still be getting the full tone out of the amp right?

check your amps ohm rating then check the ohm rating on your 2x12 if the amp is say 4ohms and your cab is 8 then you have your answer why volume sucks and fix that pronto because improper amp load can be harmfull to a tube amp.
I changed the output on the back of the little switch to 4ohms and plugged it into the 4 ohm mono plug in the mesa. That's right, right?
one thing the 5150 is notorious for. The FX loop has switching jacks, which get dirty and interfere with the signal causing volume loss in some cases. Try using a patch cable between the fx send and fx return. If the volume increases, get some contact cleaner on the end of a cable and insert it a few times in the fx loop jacks to clean the contacts.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
The louder the better the 5150 is not made for low volume. I play on 3 and 4. At low volume it's not the best amp in the world. People love this amp for the way it cuts through in a band situation.