so i've been playing for about a year and a half and am starting to feel like i play the same stuff over and over. i've been workin on soloing and i feel like i can play comfortably in the range of ...and justice for all, 1st 2 solos of sanitarium, harvester of sorrow, eye of the beholder,1st 2 solos of one, 1st solo master of puppets, 1st solo fade to black and i can fumble my way through final solo master of puppets and one. any non-metallica suggestions that might push the envelope without being out of reach. thanks in advance.
Scales.

Theory.

Chord Progressions. Etc.

I've been playing almost 4 yrs and am just doing this now... and I hate myself for not doing it earlier. Do it, you will thank yourself later.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Scales.

Theory.

Chord Progressions. Etc.

I've been playing almost 4 yrs and am just doing this now... and I hate myself for not doing it earlier. Do it, you will thank yourself later.

+1

I can't say this enough,but just learning other peoples material is a sure fire way to become disillusioned and bogged down with an instrument.Learn scales,progressions,techniques,and theory then you'll have a whole new world of musical possibilities opened up to you.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I know i've been gettin in to that stuff to just using other solos to help learn theory and better improvise
Quote by doofus41
I know i've been gettin in to that stuff to just using other solos to help learn theory and better improvise

Well then, keep practicing. Although, learning other people's stuff might not be the best way to go about theory. It's kind of the other way around, sort of... I dunno, I'm new to it as well...

Not saying don't play other people's songs, but take time out of your practice routine to work on scale runs and progressions, techniques, etc.

Check out the Advanced Techniques thread in Musician Talk. It's what I did, and it appears to be helping.