In my attempts to get one of my best friends to listen to metal, he came up with the idea that I should give him a metal "mix-tape" with around 50 songs on it, and he can decide what he likes from that and then proceed to acquire whatever he likes however he wants to do it.

My plan is to cover as many genres of metal as possible (real metal!) with the best possible examples. Any ideas? These are a few ideas I've had so far:

Agalloch
Black Dahlia Murder
Blind Guardian
Devourment
Gojira
Kyuss
Mastodon
Meshuggah
Opeth

Help me with the rest? Feel free to change those to whatever you think are "better" bands, those are just some ideas.
does he already listen to any rock, hard rock, etc?
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
You should learn how to mix/DJ and make a REAL mixtape. If you even know what that is.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
im not all for this list. id put one together, but im to tired. sorry.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Nevermore.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
add WAYYYYYY early Metallica, earlier Megadeth and Anthrax (to like 1990-91), Slayer, Exodus and Kreator
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I gave my old history teacher who's in love with Metallica two mix cd's. He's liked some stuff and come to appreciate more metal.

I had this **** on there:

Meshuggah
Atheist
Morbid Angel
Devin Townsend/DTB
Strapping Young Lad
Pain of Salvation
Symphony X
Helloween
Darkthrone
Agalloch
Cynic
Ne Obliviscaris
Ayreon
Cannibal Corpse
Quo Vadis
Amon Amarth
Iced Earth
Ahab
Melechesh
Primordial
Finntroll
Windir
Candlemass
Aghora
Dark Tranquillity
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Feb 10, 2009,
u mean metal or heavy metal? id give him some ozzy, some priest, give him something easier to get into also it hard to just jump right into the real heavy stuff..give him some appetite for destruction, some zeppelin, acdc u know then work him into the real heavy shyt
Quote by BillyMays4Pres
u mean metal or heavy metal? id give him some ozzy, some priest, give him something easier to get into also it hard to just jump right into the real heavy stuff..give him some appetite for destruction, some zeppelin, acdc u know then work him into the real heavy shyt

good call what i was going to say

Gnr, Zep, AcDc, Priest, Crue, Ozzy, Sabbath, Maiden all the good older stuff

Metallica for sure, PANTERA is a MUST, Megadeth arent bad... Slayer etc alot of stuff mentioned
and for more heavier stuff that wasnt mentioned..

LAMB OF GOD!
Children of Bodom!! cant go wrong with either
Contraband, I barely recognize you anymore, with the new avatar and all...

I wouldn't give him anything with less than good production. I remember that was a big turn-off for me.

Wait... Is turn-off the right word here?...
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Feb 10, 2009,
Play him Suffocation instead of Devourment.

Suffocation, Incantation, Autopsy, Morbid Angel and Obituary should cover death metal.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by RedDeath9
Contraband, I barely recognize you anymore, with the new avatar and all...

In a good way? I hope so.

Quote by RedDeath9

I wouldn't give him anything with less than good production. I remember that was a big turn-off for me.

Wait... Is turn-off the right word here?...

Yea, turn off is the right term. This specific teacher I gave all that to listen to did like the rawness of Kill em' All, so I thought I'd try some new Darkthrone (FOAD). He seemed to enjoy the spirit of it.
I've found Jesus
Oh, if he likes hip hop then definitely show him Devourment and Dying Fetus
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Aim for bands that transend mere genre labels and simply make great music.

Slayer
Pantera
Sepultora
Megadeth
Isis
Pelican
Opeth
Behemoth
Nile
meshuggah
Last edited by tangled at Feb 10, 2009,
^all are good suggestions, if they're too heavy for your friend try these:

Soundgarden - Outshined
Alice In Chains - We Die Young
System Of A Down - Innervision
Korn - Got The Life
Tool - Pu****
Faith No More - Epic
Metallica - The Four Horsemen
Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy
Disturbed - Awaken
Iron Maiden - Four Minutes To Midnight
Papa Roach - Blood Brothers

these are the songs that got me into these respective mainstream metal bands, from where it should be alot easier for your friend to get into real heavy metal, which the other UGers are alot more familiar with than I am.

It was through System Of A Down in particular that I got into mental-type music, such as Meshuggah and Strapping Young Lad
Last edited by hashishish at Feb 10, 2009,
Pantera
Black Label Society
Vintersorg
Metallica - Ride the Lightning album.
bah sorry man I'm too tired to properly think.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by tangled
Aim for bands that transend mere genre labels and simply make great music.

Slayer
Pantera
Sepultora
Megadeth
Isis
Pelican
Opeth
Behemoth
Nile
meshuggah

None of those bands transcend 'mere genre labels', except Opeth and Meshuggah. And neither of those two 'simply make great music'

Bleak, the Lotus Eater and The Twilight Is My Robe - Opeth

Born, Dead Heart In A Dead World and Inside Four Walls - Nevermore

Love?, AAA and Velvet Kevorkian/All Hail The New Flesh - Strapping Young Lad

If he likes hip-hop, AAA and Inside Four Walls might be good choices since they're both pretty groove-based
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 10, 2009,
Since he's obviously completely alien to metal at the moment, don't throw him straight into the gr1m heartlands as many will suggest. Give him some Testament, Kreator, Exodus, some Sepultura, Machine Head, Sylosis, Arsis, Death and Morbid Angel.

Put the tape in acsending order of Kvltness, start off with Machine Head, finish off with Morbid Angel.

FREDIT:

Quote by whalepudding
Bleak - Opeth

I always use that song for introducing with n00bians to metal, it seems to work nicely.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Feb 10, 2009,
If you've ever seen "A Headbangers Journey" and remember that Chart sam made when explaining all the sub-genres, you could always set the CD up like that by starting with early metal (sabbath) going to NWOBHM and the likes with stuff from Maiden, get into thrash, and keep branching out so by the end of the CD you have some pretty f*cking brootal songs. Itll be like easing him into it

Some artists I think should be included
Megadeth, Sebastian Bach, Falconer, Amon Amarth, Mayhem, Vintersorg among most of the bands other people have suggested in this thread.

Quote by Contraband
I gave my old history teacher who's in love with Metallica two mix cd's. He's liked some stuff and come to appreciate more metal.

I had this **** on there:

Meshuggah
Atheist
Morbid Angel
Devin Townsend/DTB
Strapping Young Lad
Pain of Salvation
Symphony X
Helloween
Darkthrone
Agalloch
Cynic
Ne Obliviscaris
Ayreon
Cannibal Corpse
Quo Vadis
Amon Amarth
Iced Earth
Ahab
Melechesh
Primordial
Finntroll
Windir
Candlemass
Aghora
Dark Tranquillity

I'd say this list works pretty well. It's a bit of a panoramic view.

EDIT:
throw him in the deep end and give him some dark angel, sadus, morbid saint, kreator

That's not throwing someone in the deep end. Black Metal would be throwing someone in the deep end.
Last edited by madbasslover at Feb 10, 2009,
Kyuss isn't metal.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
But they deserve to be on every list, no matter what genre
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.